What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ASHES SQUAD

fish eel

Immortal
Ricky Ponting (capt)
Adam Gilchrist (v-capt)
Michael Clarke
Jason Gillespie
Brad Haddin
Matthew Hayden
Brad Hodge
Michael Kasprowicz
Simon Katich
Justin Langer
Brett Lee
Stuart MacGill
Damien Martyn
Glenn McGrath
Shaun Tait
Shane Warne.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
predictible, except for Shaun Tait.

thought Bracken might have snuck in.

The Colonel

Immortal
Twizzle said:
predictible, except for Shaun Tait.

thought Bracken might have snuck in.

Should have.

A left arm bowler usually causes headaches for the Poms - Whitney, Reid and Alan Davidson have all had success against them in years past.

Timbo

Staff member
NatWest Series Squad:

Matthew Hayden, Adam Gilchrist, Ricky Ponting, Damien Martyn, Michael Katich, Andrew Symonds, Michael Clarke, Michael Hussey, Brad Haddin, Shane Watson, Brad Hogg, Jason Gillespie, Brett Lee, Michael Kasprowicz, Glenn McGrath.

Who's Michael Katich :lol:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the test squad is light on a batsman. Hodge is a fine player but really can only cover 4-6 in the order. Should we lose an openor we're in trouble. The ODI squad is as predicted for mine.

S2H

Juniors
If we loose an opener Katich will move up and hodge will come in at 6. I think Jaques deserved a spot in front of Hodge though.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
again predictible,

the Aussie selectors are keen to play players on past form, rather than current ING Cup form

luckily for them, we have such depth, that the team will always save thier conservative arses.

comiserations to Michael Bevan

Timbo

Staff member
The more I look at that squad, the more it doesnt sit right being one batsman down. It means in the warm up matches Haddin and Gilchrist will have to play along side each other, or we'll have to play 5 bowlers in order to give the batsmen a rest.

fish eel

Immortal
I'd say Haddin is there as a back up bat as well.

His numbers in the ING cup stack up.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Is it just me, or is that a rather small squad?

I would have thought they would have taken 1 more bowler and 1 more batsman! Oh well, a good squad! I told you guys that Bracken was no chance!

Cricketer

Juniors
The selection of Macgill is a mistake. Why take two leggies when he will never get a game. He's 34 and a spectator. Isn't he going to England to play county anyway? If so, take a young gun like Cullen, give him the tour experience. If Warne gets injured, pluck Macgill from County. Simple. Bad choice on the future of test cricket for Australia. Warnie, bad form, good form, Macgill won't play. As for Tait, great choice. Bracken overrated and bowls poo.

Timbo

Staff member
Cricketer said:
The selection of Macgill is a mistake. Why take two leggies when he will never get a game. He's 34 and a spectator. Isn't he going to England to play county anyway? If so, take a young gun like Cullen, give him the tour experience. If Warne gets injured, pluck Macgill from County. Simple. Bad choice on the future of test cricket for Australia. Warnie, bad form, good form, Macgill won't play. As for Tait, great choice. Bracken overrated and bowls poo.

Because if you pick Cullen, and Warne get's injured, what kind of message would Cullen get when instead of him, the back up spinner, being picked they call MacGill in?

Johns Magic

Referee
lockyno1 said:
Is it just me, or is that a rather small squad?

I would have thought they would have taken 1 more bowler and 1 more batsman! Oh well, a good squad! I told you guys that Bracken was no chance!

Thanks for the tip, oh knowledgable one. Where was Hauritz? I thought he would get in?

Timbo said:
Cricketer said:

Because if you pick Cullen, and Warne get's injured, what kind of message would Cullen get when instead of him, the back up spinner, being picked they call MacGill in?

I see what you're saying Timbo but Cracker would pull young Dan aside and say " Listen champ....you'll get a game against Durham, Minor Counties and Ireland but apart from that you'll be lighting Warnes darts, mixing Staminade and picking up dry cleaning...If something goes down, Stuey is just up the road sipping Cab Sav's"

Dan Jackson

Juniors
Well I think Bracken is a bit stiff. What has happened to the "horses for courses" theory. When they chose the squad for India, they ignored MacGills great season and took Hauritz, who was then, and proved in India and Australia that he is an imposter. How handy would Magilla have been in that last test of that tour? I understand they wanted a different option to Warne in India, but Hauritz certainly was never it. This time they take Tait, who has had a great season, but ignore a genuine swing bowling option in Bracken. What are the chances of Tait playing a test? If Bracken was there, he would be a contender, a competitor with Lee for the next bowling spot, should injury or bad form happen to one of the incumbents. I'd like someone to explain the difference. I'm not bagging Tait, just the process.

Timbo

Staff member
Belly in Brisvegas said:
Timbo said:
Cricketer said:

I see what you're saying Timbo but Cracker would pull young Dan aside and say " Listen champ....you'll get a game against Durham, Minor Counties and Ireland but apart from that you'll be lighting Warnes darts, mixing Staminade and picking up dry cleaning...If something goes down, Stuey is just up the road sipping Cab Sav's"

Then the right decision has been made. MacGilla will be in and around the team should someone go down, so he'll be used to his team-mates.

There are places for blokes like Cullen to get experience-A-Team tours.