What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ashley graham vs willie tonga

The Colonel

Immortal
Well Graham took the oppurtunities he was given at wing and fullback whereas Tonga was limited to a few games at centre when others were injured.

Interesting to note this quote from the story (link provided)

For Tonga, the decision was as painful as it was unavoidable.

He never wanted to leave Parramatta. But a heart-to-heart chat with Eels coach Brian Smith provided a view of the future – and it was enough to drive Tonga out.

“Brian said to me there was an opportunity with Brett Hodgson going to Wests Tigers. He said he might consider a few switches, maybe put David Vaealiki at fullback so I could play centre or even wing,” explains Tonga, who played eight top grade games for the Eels.

“I wasn’t sure what to do. I just saw Jamie Lyon and David Vaealiki, two international centres, and I was worried I would waste another couple of years in (Premier League).

“I came here for opportunity.”

http://www.nrl.com.au/news.cfm?id=8905

Clearly, it was never a choice between Graham and Tonga by the club but a choice by Tonga to take a chance elsewhere.

Eels Dude

Coach
Thanks for that, I didn't know that before. I would have said Graham took his chances in first grade while Tonga struggled a bit. Shame he didn't realise his potential at Parramatta.

Eels Supporter

Juniors
Both Ashley and Willie are great talents. Ash was given an opportunity last year and he took it and ran with it. We all know (well most of us), how well he went. Willie, on the other hand, was given a couple of chances at centre and did not do so well. Who knows, if Ash had not broken his leg so badly, he may well be playing to the same standard as Willie now. Willie is going great guns now having made the difficult decision to leave Parramatta and all the best to him. He will kick on from here and who knows what his future will be!! Green and Gold one day!! We could very well have been looking at both Ash and Willie in the maroon if it had not been for that horrific injury. Give Ash time, and I am sure we will see the same from him.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Had Parramatta known Lyon would turn into a skirt wearing dog and Vaealiki would get a season ending injury they would have retained Tonga.

However, last time I checked Brian didn't have a time machine to go into the future to see these things.

Simply, when Tonga was here is was the 4th centre at the club behind Lyon, Vaealiki & Graham since his signed with the Dogs after JUne 30 2003.

Graham - Major injury 9 operations still not back to his best only at 2/3 pace,
Lyon - Became a skirt weariong dog and walked out
Vaealiki - Season ending achillies injury.

bradeel

Juniors
Hurriflatch said:
Had Parramatta known Lyon would turn into a skirt wearing dog and Vaealiki would get a season ending injury they would have retained Tonga.

However, last time I checked Brian didn't have a time machine to go into the future to see these things.

Simply, when Tonga was here is was the 4th centre at the club behind Lyon, Vaealiki & Graham since his signed with the Dogs after JUne 30 2003.

Graham - Major injury 9 operations still not back to his best only at 2/3 pace,
Lyon - Became a skirt weariong dog and walked out
Vaealiki - Season ending achillies injury.

Very very well said.

I wish the entire league world would quit hounding the Eels over letting Tonga go. True, we've made some mistakes in the past, but this one was totally not Brian Smith, Dennis Fitzgerald, or any other Eels official's fault. I just wish Jamie Lyon could have had his brain explosions juist prior to the end of last season rather than 5 minutes into the new one.

Sean7

Juniors
I always thought Tonga was superior. He did some great things for us in first grade, set up a few good tries that turned games for us when we were struggling. He has good footwork and an offload. He had that one bad game defensively against Canberra and that was it for him basically.

Graham, I haven't really seen anything great from him. He's fairly fast when fit, but doesn't seem to possess the football skills of Tonga, who can create something on his own. Graham just seems to be able to run straight and finish, where as Tonga can finish, but can also beat his man and create for others.

It always shitted me when Graham got the centre spot ahead of Tonga. It just seems to prove to me Smith's fear of players with true skill. It's as if he's thinking that while they may create something, but may also pass a ball when they shouldn't, so he hust likes to pick solid toilers who won't try anything out of the ordinary. That'll normally make you competitive, but also normally won't get you the big wins when that little bit of extra creativity is required.

Well said Hurriflatch.
I always used to think Tonga was better, but the more I started seeing of Ash, the more I swayed towards him.
Both great players though, such a shame to see Tonga go, but good luck to him anyway.

strider

Post Whore
Yeah - why don't the media start asking the tough questions of Jamie - why did Jamie do what he did and force Tonga to leave unnecessarily?

Question (I asked before but don't think I got an answer).....Did Crusher get the flick from Parra before or after Jamie signed a new 3yr deal?

1eyedeel

Juniors
Tonga always had an amazing skill level, if you've got young players with that level of skills its really just a matter of time and confidence before they make it and it can happy very quickly, witness Lyon and Tonga's rapid rises. I was pretty shattered when he left.

To me, Ash is going to be a quality first grader but I don't know if he's got that special something that makes a rep player, like a brilliant offload or step.

fish eel

Immortal
To me, Ash is going to be a quality first grader but I don't know if he's got that special something that makes a rep player, like a brilliant offload or step.

Disagree.

I think Ashley has wonderful hands, and has the ability to throw some terrific passes.

Him and Tonga and different beasts though. I'd say if both were fully fit for a season....you'd probably find Graham would have a better, more consistant year but Tonga would have a longer highlights reel.

yy_cheng

Coach
My views are the same as sean7.

Ash is safe and and a good toiler, maybe performing from a range of 6-8 each match. Tonga is flashy and can go real well or real bad. Maybe performing from 4-9.

Tonga was very quiet whilst playing for the eels in 1st grade. Afraid to get involved.

I watched the match between the dogs and easts and he was full of confidence just as if he was playing premier league for Parra. However, having Lolesi next to him helps too.

Parra style doesn't make much use of our centres. Even when Lyon was here, we were always screaming pass it to Lyon. I remember sterlo even saying that a few times.

And that prevented Tonga from showing his real talents.

Now that we have Mckinnon, I would pick Tonga over Ash.

yy_cheng

Coach
My views are the same as sean7.

Ash is safe and and a good toiler, maybe performing from a range of 6-8 each match. Tonga is flashy and can go real well or real bad. Maybe performing from 4-9.

Tonga was very quiet whilst playing for the eels in 1st grade. Afraid to get involved.

I watched the match between the dogs and easts and he was full of confidence just as if he was playing premier league for Parra. However, having Lolesi next to him helps too.

Parra style doesn't make much use of our centres. Even when Lyon was here, we were always screaming pass it to Lyon. I remember sterlo even saying that a few times.

And that prevented Tonga from showing his real talents.

Now that we have Mckinnon, I would pick Tonga over Ash.

The Colonel

Immortal
I'll go back to my original assessment of Ashley. I still believe he will play for Queensland however since the operations on his leg I will extend the time frame a little - but I reckon over time that both he and Tonga will be regulars in the Origin sides. He can hit a gap, break a tackle and possesses good hands. He showed last year that he is also capable of backing up half breaks and is a good finisher.

Tonga can create something from any situation. I have some doubts over his defence as have many. Would I rather he still here? Shit yeah..... but he's not and good luck to him.