What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ashton

Big Bill

Juniors
Does anyone know where Ashton,who used to give us Junior news and signings, is these days. Always provided a moment of excitement when his moniker popped up.

Port Panther

Juniors
Well for a second there i thought this was gonna be a thread about a big Bill Ashurst or a news story saying Panthers begin player cloning programe and have chosen him as the first as he couldn't wait to volunteer once he heard of the opportunity to make some more money out of the club

Big Bill

Juniors
Well for a second there i thought this was gonna be a thread about a big Bill Ashurst or a news story saying Panthers begin player cloning programe and have chosen him as the first as he couldn't wait to volunteer once he heard of the opportunity to make some more money out of the club
What a great player, most talented I've ever seen, but not so good as a team player.

Kilkenny

Coach
What a great player, most talented I've ever seen, but not so good as a team player.
You’ve been around as long as I have. Ashurst was a freak in an entirely different game. I remember a game againgst the Dragons (if my memory serves me correctly)we were down 14-0 with not long to go, a chip over the top led to a try, a line break and off load led to another and we ended up winning 15-14 I think. When he was on, he was something special. Is your user name something to do with the memory of Ashurst Being big bill and all.

Big Bill

Juniors
You’ve been around as long as I have. Ashurst was a freak in an entirely different game. I remember a game againgst the Dragons (if my memory serves me correctly)we were down 14-0 with not long to go, a chip over the top led to a try, a line break and off load led to another and we ended up winning 15-14 I think. When he was on, he was something special. Is your user name something to do with the memory of Ashurst Being big bill and all.
It is Kilkenny I was there that day and if I remember correctly Stevo was replaced at half time by Bill and he then turned on the go button. When he was on he had no peer. Those days not many saw him play, we weren't on TV much then. Only my Dad, me and the true faithful like yourself and others on here got to see a football genius at work, when he was on or a Colour TV at stake.

Big Bill

Juniors
It is Kilkenny I was there that day and if I remember correctly Stevo was replaced at half time by Bill and he then turned on the go button. When he was on he had no peer. Those days not many saw him play, we weren't on TV much then. Only my Dad, me and the true faithful like yourself and others on here got to see a football genius at work, when he was on or a Colour TV at stake.
Sorry, meant Stevo replaced at half time as Captain,

The_Frog

First Grade
Last round 1975. Dragons led 19-0 midway through the second half. Ended 25-19. 5 converted tries. Ashurst kicked all the conversions. That would be the game I think. Wish I'd been there.

I remember reading about Panthers fans who left the ground at 19-0 and then came back after listening to the radio.

Last edited:

Big Bill

Juniors
Last round 1975. Dragons led 19-0 midway through the second half. Ended 25-19. 5 converted tries. Ashurst kicked all the conversions. That would be the game I think. Wish I'd been there.

I remember reading about Panthers fans who left the ground at 19-0 and then came back after listening to the radio.
Thats the benefit of staying to the end, sometimes the bitter end., it was a hell of a second half and great win. Mind you any win was a great win in those days.

Kilkenny

Coach
It’s flooding back to me, your right Stevo went off. Mick Stephenson was an amazing competitor, no injections in those days. He used to wear a women’s corset just to support his back, go figure.

Kilkenny

Coach
Well done Frog, 19-0 was it, I said 14-0, sadly I can’t remember games this season never mind 1975. I do have vague memories of those days, in many respects they were special. We feel so entitled now around our success in recent seasons and I include the Hook era in terms of our success. Who was the coach, when basically our whole first team was dumped and the entire junior team including Gould was promoted to the top grade. Gould at 21 or so was made captain. Was it Stevo, or someone who took over from him.

Kilkenny

Coach
If anyone cares to review my avatar or whatever it is called I mention Terry Wickey. What an amazing little player he was in the Mick Stephenson/Ashurst era.

I actually had a knee operation from the same surgeon, same day as Terry was getting his done, we had a great conversation in the waiting room prior to going in. He was a trooper, no arthroscopic surgeries in those days it was the real deal. Our careers were basically ended on the same day as it turned out.

Pomoz

Bench
If anyone cares to review my avatar or whatever it is called I mention Terry Wickey. What an amazing little player he was in the Mick Stephenson/Ashurst era.

I actually had a knee operation from the same surgeon, same day as Terry was getting his done, we had a great conversation in the waiting room prior to going in. He was a trooper, no arthroscopic surgeries in those days it was the real deal. Our careers were basically ended on the same day as it turned out.
I played against Terry in a touch footy game at the Kingsway. Terrific ball player and cheeky bugger. We beat his team but they were about 15 years older than us and some of them were on one leg. Had us beat for skill but fitness wore them down in end and in touch footy that counts for a lot, as we found out when we played the div 1 premiers and lost 10 nil. Lucky to get to nil.

Big Bill

Juniors
Well done Frog, 19-0 was it, I said 14-0, sadly I can’t remember games this season never mind 1975. I do have vague memories of those days, in many respects they were special. We feel so entitled now around our success in recent seasons and I include the Hook era in terms of our success. Who was the coach, when basically our whole first team was dumped and the entire junior team including Gould was promoted to the top grade. Gould at 21 or so was made captain. Was it Stevo, or someone who took over from him.
That I think was 1975 they promoted Peter Newsome, Brian Reeve, Ross Gibson and Terry Wickey. Pretty sure that would be the year you are referring to. Gus though didn't come in until 1978, but you are correct in saying he was Captain. Closest I've seen to Ashurst in ability. Very good player should have gone further.

The_Frog

First Grade
Don Parish, former Wests player and coach, was the coach in '78. Mike Stephenson was originally captain but had a broken jaw that recurred in a midweek cup match at Wagga against Riverina in which Panthers were defeated 36-2, and this was when he retired. I think it may have been after this match that the players were dropped and Gould made captain. On his podcast he talked about the Easts game at the Sports Ground, his first or second as captain, and how the late Bozo tried to put one over him regarding the toss and running into the sun. We won that game in a major upset.

I must admit that most of the details here are not from memory, but from the book Men in Black.

Kilkenny

Coach
Great times in our history.

My memory of those days is diminished other than the fact I fondly remember walking from my then home, across Jamison Park onto our ground. No parents to drop me off, just make the pilgrimage on foot. The wins were few are far between, but it cemented a love for the club which will never go away.

Latest posts