What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ashton

GongPanther

Referee
Had to be in 1974 when we were beaten by Western Division,I was young and very disappointed we lost
Was at that game..I recall a good crowd. Funny in those days the TV broadcast used to open with a shot of the Iron Cove bridge. Now it's all blocked by mature trees. Then again, it was only 47 years ago.🙂

Kilkenny

Coach
Western Division or whatever they were called didn’t they have TV Ted Ellery or similar. He was a star for a fleeting moment as I recall.

John Hamblin

Juniors
You must be my vintage also Nealo, what disappointed me so much was the exciting talent we had in the team for that game, Glenn West, Glenn Stolzenheim, Ritchie Thornton, Terry Quinn, Ross Gigg, Dave Hodge and I think John Klein and Wayne Brain. Outstanding young talent but maybe that was the problem too many youngsters.

Ashurst could have been the best player in the game. He didn't turn up often enough. MIck Stephenson busted his backside EVERY week. Ashurst walked out on the club I think at the end of 1974. I have a chocolate soldiers jersey Ashurst gave to the father of my former brother in law. A story going around at the time was the club had to find a job for Ashurst and he went through 17 jobs and eventually was assigned to " help out" with the clubs squash courts.

The_Frog

First Grade
Had to be in 1974 when we were beaten by Western Division,I was young and very disappointed we lost
I watched this game in Grenfell RSL, in stony silence throughout, the only Panthers supporter in the place. You could hardly deny the locals their moment of glory.

Kilkenny

Coach
Ashurst could have been the best player in the game. He didn't turn up often enough. MIck Stephenson busted his backside EVERY week. Ashurst walked out on the club I think at the end of 1974. I have a chocolate soldiers jersey Ashurst gave to the father of my former brother in law. A story going around at the time was the club had to find a job for Ashurst and he went through 17 jobs and eventually was assigned to " help out" with the clubs squash courts.
From memory, Stevo and Ashurst both came to the club in 1974. Bill Ashurst went home towards the end of his second season. He and Stevo never got on a I think aside from anything else did Bill not get himself involved with a female that didn’t end well, given he was married at the time. It is a long time ago.

Kilkenny

Coach
I watched this game in Grenfell RSL, in stony silence throughout, the only Panthers supporter in the place. You could hardly deny the locals their moment of glory.
Kevin Dann, Glenn West, Ross Gigg, Zac Olejarnik, Tim Sheens I think they all played in the Amco Cup final in 1974.

Big Bill

Juniors
I agree Stevo really put in , much more than Bill and I loved Bill as a player but off the field. .... not so sure. I heard they gave Bill a job in the Club, one job he had was to paint a door, put so many coats on it they couldn't shut it. Can't verify the story but it sounded good. These days and for some time now he's a terrific guy I believe.

Big Bill

Juniors
Kevin Dann, Glenn West, Ross Gigg, Zac Olejarnik, Tim Sheens I think they all played in the Amco Cup final in 1974.
You're not far off the mark, but Kevin came to us in 77, not sure Zac played in that game, all the players I mentioned in my earlier post played I think plus Phill Jelley , John Willson ?, Dennis Tutty, Sheensey ?, Dollar Geary? , pretty sure Bill didn't play in this game.

Big Bill

Juniors
From memory, Stevo and Ashurst both came to the club in 1974. Bill Ashurst went home towards the end of his second season. He and Stevo never got on a I think aside from anything else did Bill not get himself involved with a female that didn’t end well, given he was married at the time. It is a long time ago.
Pretty sure Bill left in 77 and as said very suddenly.

Kilkenny

Coach
Pretty sure Bill left in 77 and as said very suddenly.
I just googled him and according to Wikipedia he was actually with us from 74-76. So that is three seasons albeit he definitely left early in his last season so I assume that was during the 76 season. Wasted talent, was capable of the very special when he was on, but just wasn’t on often enough. It was a very different game back in that era.

Kilkenny

Coach
You're not far off the mark, but Kevin came to us in 77, not sure Zac played in that game, all the players I mentioned in my earlier post played I think plus Phill Jelley , John Willson ?, Dennis Tutty, Sheensey ?, Dollar Geary? , pretty sure Bill didn't play in this game.
I’ve tried to google our line up, can find the Western Division team on the night but can’t find ours and my memory doesn’t offer anything. I vividly remember Phil Jelley he was our fullback for a short time, skinny kid, talented. He may well have been our fullback in that game. I think Dollar, Terry Gerry had retired by then but I could be wrong.

Big Bill

Juniors
I’ve tried to google our line up, can find the Western Division team on the night but can’t find ours and my memory doesn’t offer anything. I vividly remember Phil Jelley he was our fullback for a short time, skinny kid, talented. He may well have been our fullback in that game. I think Dollar, Terry Gerry had retired by then but I could be wrong.
I think Dollar retired at the end of 74 actually and yes Jelley was a handy player as was John Willson the 5/8 both of whom had just the one season with us after coming from parra. Both left at seasons end due to 13 import rule, which crueled us in 75>.

panther.mike

Juniors
We played Manly one weekend and Big Bill played a blinder against either Lowe or Reilly [all poms] But the Manly player ended on top.
I think Bill and Stevo didn;t get on because Bill thought he should be captain. Stevo was ahead of his time and our players could keep up, mentally.

Big Bill

Juniors
I just googled him and according to Wikipedia he was actually with us from 74-76. So that is three seasons albeit he definitely left early in his last season so I assume that was during the 76 season. Wasted talent, was capable of the very special when he was on, but just wasn’t on often enough. It was a very different game back in that era.
With all due respect to Wikipedia I do believe it was during 77 ,not that it matters but I like to rely on my memory ,I'll check my records .You are very right though a wasted talent could have been a true legend, he was a delight to watch.

Big Bill

Juniors
I think Dollar retired at the end of 74 actually and yes Jelley was a handy player as was John Willson the 5/8 both of whom had just the one season with us after coming from parra. Both left at seasons end due to 13 import rule, which crueled us in 75>.
After more thought I think Dollar was still around in 76, I can remember him reving up Russell Hughes during a Reserve grade game.

Big Bill

Juniors
With all due respect to Wikipedia I do believe it was during 77 ,not that it matters but I like to rely on my memory ,I'll check my records .You are very right though a wasted talent could have been a true legend, he was a delight to watch.
Bill left in March of 77 during the pre season, so they are basically right in that he didn't play in the season proper

roofromoz

First Grade

The Men in Black book from 2008 has the team list:

Phil Jelley
Ross Gigg
Grahame Moran
Glenn West
Terry Quinn
Richie Thornton
John Wilson
Dennis Tutty
David Hodge
Glen Stolzenhein
Tim Sheens