What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

At Last, some Ruthlessness in Management

Sullivan has a long way to go before I will be convinced he has a 1st grade position.
Bit harsh. He was thrown into the lion's den.. hooker.. for two of those four games. Having, I suspect not played there before. Playing him at 9 will certainly improve his defense.. but perhaps some time in Ressies at half will do that just as well as he also works on some other aspects of his game. I can not see Griffin shifting Hunt to hooker as some here want.. myself included.

Jahrome Hughes : 22 games, 49 missed tackles, Game avge : 2.23
Nathan Cleary : 16 games, 30 missed tackles, Game avge : 1.88
Sam Walker : 20 games, 69 missed tackles, Game avge : 3.45

They're all either not much better or significantly worse than Clune's stats, and it ain't hurt their club none. They're in the Top 4.

Ben Hunt : 15 games, 59 missed tackles, Match Avge : 3.93. That is also poor and I rate his creativity 5 out of 10.
Adam Clune : 13 games, 27 missed tackles, Match Avge : 2.08. I rate his creativity 6 out of 10. So lets sack the local junior and keep an import that cost the club $6m and has decidedly poor credentials to be our half. I do tho think he is making a good skipper as he mentors the young blokes and commands respect with his intensity. I guess that is why Griffin gave him the reins.. that and to stop some of the bagging he has copped over most of his tenure.

Last edited:

Trifili13

Juniors
Those arguing that because De Belin was upgraded then we should also resign Sims is a false argument. Setting aside whether we should have resigned De Belin, i think no way should he have received an upgrade. By resigning Sims on the basis that we looked after De Belin for me is just doubling down on an error.

For me it's like saying we paid Hunt $1m so we have to give the next half back the same even if he is not worth it. The club has to look at Sims ruthlessly as say is he giving us value for money. If no, then thanks for your service and good luck in the future. Isn't that what we have been arguing for our club to do since the day Bennett left? Now some want to be sentimental as Sims is a good club man. Look at Storm, from all accounts they wanted to keep Finucane yet had to let him go as couldn't afford him and also keep other players for the long term.

Old Timer

Coach
Jahrome Hughes : 22 games, 49 missed tackles, Game avge : 2.23
Nathan Cleary : 16 games, 30 missed tackles, Game avge : 1.88
Sam Walker : 20 games, 69 missed tackles, Game avge : 3.45

They're all either not much better or significantly worse than Clune's stats, and it ain't hurt their club none. They're in the Top 4.
As I said we can’t afford to carry another player who can’t tackle because unlike the Roosters we ain’t that good and already have enough poor tacklers

gitano

Juniors
Feeling really positive after that.

Mainly because I don't have to waste any more time watching this rabble of a side until next year.

matPORTS

Juniors
I agree with the ruthless approach the club is taking on Sims (and has taken with a host of others this year). Since Origin he hasn't been the same, and has also been off the boil with his discipline.

But we should also be ambitious in this situation as well. If Panthers win the comp, offer them Sims and ask if we can have Kikau.

RED73V

Juniors
I get the sentiment of the OP but this ruthlessness has come all too late and aimed at the wrong player.
So many others in the past we held on for too long. Tariq still has plenty to offer. I’m not ok with this.
While I like Tariq as a man I certainly think he is overrated & overpriced for his output . He has toiled well without being a standout for the coin he is on. I think this is a great decision by hook & one McGregor would never have made. Onwards & upwards I say !!!

denis preston

First Grade
Sims is a big match player. He hasn't performed much lately, but then we haven't had any big matches. The whole side has gone off the boil since Round 6. BBQ-gate ensured no-one was going to bust a gut at the back end of the season. Don't agree with the decision, if in fact it has been made.
But isn't it his role as a senior high paid current SOO representative to lead the charge and get the others to follow him ?

I actually think the stats prove he can’t tackle and show there are others that can’t tackle either.
With respect defense is one aspect of the full picture. All three of those above guys are significantly better creative players than Clune will ever be.
* I wouldn’t have paid Hunt that much for that long.
* Brett Morris would never have left
* I would have offered Bennett 5 years
I agree with those three points. Will add .. allowing Josh Morris to leave.. The twins shudda played out their careers at the Dragons.

denis preston

First Grade
If I was running the club;
* We wouldn’t have signed Norman
* Mary would have been sacked long before he actually was
* I wouldn’t have paid Hunt that much for that long.
* Brett Morris would never have left
* I would have offered Bennett 5 years

etc etc
The best CEO's of clubs are always the retrospective ones !

And yet we've thrown money at Jack deBelin to keep him on the books until 2025. Only one year older than Tariq. Ruthless or stupid?
Have always rated both of them as they play with great passion for the Red V. I do tho have JDB ahead of Tariq in terms of his playing value. Despite sitting out two seasons Jack has lost none of his potency. He is still one the games best one on one defenders while his ball skills remain a vital part of our attack..

Last edited:

Illusion

Bench
As I said we can’t afford to carry another player who can’t tackle because unlike the Roosters we ain’t that good and already have enough poor tacklers
The difference with the other teams is , they can make up for that with their and attack and defense is better ..... We have neither ..... We will all know next year 8 games in if Hook and Co have turned us around ......

Now our season is officially done and dusted who do we blame for our demise and continual misery. Please dont say the "infamous BBQ Gate" as one scribe called it. Our season was already on the slippery slide by that time. We were unable to string two wins together. We had little creativity in the halves to get our forwards moving and our backline firing. Our defense was brittle at times and we were having trouble finishing games.. clocking off too early. The only time we looked like a quality attacking unit was when the three amigos, Sloan, Amone and Sullivan were injected into our team. Alas all too late to make a difference. Losing our skipper did not help matters.

Last edited: