What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

At the game now

SilentAssassin

Juniors
If we underestimate the Warriors they will lap us.

Dragons aren't in a position to under estimate anybody. Especially this year.

Anybody is capable of beating anyone on their day. Heck, we even beat Souths last year!

Going by yesterday's game the defence still worries me. Some of the tigers try's, even though IMO very dodgy were so soft. Can't let good sides score easy points.

Minh

First Grade
Dragons aren't in a position to under estimate anybody. Especially this year.

Anybody is capable of beating anyone on their day. Heck, we even beat Souths last year!

Going by yesterday's game the defence still worries me. Some of the tigers try's, even though IMO very dodgy were so soft. Can't let good sides score easy points.

Exactly.

saint.nick

Coach
Crowd 19,680 (from memory).
Majority Saints fans.
Ticketed membership area was pretty well populated, but yes not the usual showing from 'The Army'.
No doubt a protest of sorts about the ground allocation amongst other things. Was mooted this would be the case.
More wins will soothe frayed tempers and repopulate the bleachers I've no doubt.

Crowd was actually better than I expected. It did look misleading, but when people are spread out like that in a big stadium it has a tendency to do that. Like I said before, one positive is that we wouldn't have got even 16K at Kogarah. It was one of the smallest dragon armies I've ever seen. In years gone by, having at least 10 banners in there was standard. How many yesterday? 3? Despite that, it was still all good fun being in the army yesterday abusing wests fans. General cracks me up. I can only imagine how much even better it will be once it starts to grow again after if we win more games in the near future.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
IMO, the 19K crowd figure is bs. Unless they are now counting the no show ticket holders. Probably 15K there.

But even if there were 19K there, it still looks like an empty soul-less pit. ANZ / Homebush is an embarrassment.
Like I said before, one positive is that we wouldn't have got even 16K at Kogarah.
There's no way of knowing that. First game of the year, closer to the fan base. You would have seen much more than that. But hey, if we are speculating on crowd numbers at Kogarah for a game that we never got, then even 16K would have had the atmosphere, the noise and the banners.
saint.nick said:
It was one of the smallest dragon armies I've ever seen. In years gone by, having at least 10 banners in there was standard. How many yesterday? 3?
I think that's an indication of how many people don't like going to Homebush.

st.phil

Bench
IMO, the 19K crowd figure is bs. Unless they are now counting the no show ticket holders. Probably 15K there.

But even if there were 19K there, it still looks like an empty soul-less pit. ANZ / Homebush is an embarrassment.There's no way of knowing that. First game of the year, closer to the fan base. You would have seen much more than that. But hey, if we are speculating on crowd numbers at Kogarah for a game that we never got, then even 16K would have had the atmosphere, the noise and the banners.I think that's an indication of how many people don't like going to Homebush.

The crowd gates are all automated at large venues like ANZ, no human interaction, so you can put the conspiracy theories to bed my friend. I'd say only in a venue owned and run by the club, like the Titans home ground, would be more of a possibility.

Being at the game it was surprisingly vibrant - where I was in the GA corner in the shade - adjacent and behind where frizell scored 2nd half - was pretty much full. A lot of people cowering in the shade due to heat so it looked worse on TV than at the game.

jenninga

First Grade
Watching the Manly v Storm game how good was the atmosphere in a packed Brookvale.
It would have been just as good at Kogarah with a similar crowd and atmosphere even better .
And hasn't Gus Gould changed his tune,he used to love packed hills at suburban grounds,now spruiking the bigger stadiums.Especially now that Penrith will also play games at ANZ now.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The crowd gates are all automated at large venues like ANZ, no human interaction
Seems apt for that venue.
st.phil said:
so you can put the conspiracy theories to bed my friend. I'd say only in a venue owned and run by the club, like the Titans home ground, would be more of a possibility.
Well of course I respect your opinion, even if I find it to be a little presumptious. But in my opinion, to say it doesn't happen (or hasn't happened) at a number of venues is a little naive. It's no conspiracy theory that numbers have been boosted when it suits the promoters. Makes sense, talk it up etc. But more bizarre than that, I have seen numbers lowered - TBH, I can only guess the reasoning behind that.

Nevertheless, how many of these automated humans were paying customers? Apparently there were plenty of freebies. Another smart business decision.

bottle

Coach
Watching the Manly v Storm game how good was the atmosphere in a packed Brookvale.
It would have been just as good at Kogarah with a similar crowd and atmosphere even better .
And hasn't Gus Gould changed his tune,he used to love packed hills at suburban grounds,now spruiking the bigger stadiums.Especially now that Penrith will also play games at ANZ now.

Really? This year?
How many games?

Mr Red

First Grade
the dragons V tigers game was the THIRD match at ANZ on the weekend.. and by about half way through the match i noticed huge chunks of turf being ripped up exposing a sandy surface... just right for ankle and knee injuries...

imagine how the ground will be in about 8 weeks with this demand??

The NRL strategy of playing more matches in big venues cannot be achieved with such limited big venues in sydney...

chillwinston

Juniors
Was at the game yesterday, great team performance!

I still don't rate ANZ stadium for club games, I still prefer Allianz to ANZ.

Top performances from Widdop, Frizell, Mez & Cooper. Holding the Tigers to one try in the second half was impressive as well considering how easy we have conceded points lately.

Bumped into Matt Groat in the stands, They must have photo shopped that photo of him in pre season, he's alot smaller up close then I thought he would be.

Gazzaw

Juniors
Was at the game yesterday, great team performance!

I still don't rate ANZ stadium for club games, I still prefer Allianz to ANZ.

Top performances from Widdop, Frizell, Mez & Cooper. Holding the Tigers to one try in the second half was impressive as well considering how easy we have conceded points lately.

Bumped into Matt Groat in the stands, They must have photo shopped that photo of him in pre season, he's alot smaller up close then I thought he would be.

It's all about money back to the club. The crowd looks really sparse in that venue yet Kogarah would have been full. Wonder what the players feel?

saint.nick

Coach
I don't understand why they never chose Allianz over ANZ in the first place? Everyone knows it's superior, and adding to that, it's geographically closer to saints fans...