What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attn Canberra Soccer/football Fans

Bay56

First Grade
I'm off to the game now .. catch me in LU gear (that's Leeds United) .. cyas

Bay56

First Grade
Crowd of 7200 ... not bad for a pre-season game and the Raiders playing on Sunday.

I'd say they were hoping for about 9000.

For the record Sydney 2 - Newcastle 1

Two of those goals were shockers

Raider Ultra

Bench
Yeh, that second Sydney goal was laughable, what was the keeper playing at. Good to see a local product in Topor Stanley have a top game for Sydney.

paulquinn49

Bench
That sucks, you can't judge the general interest on a crappy preseason game. Sydney FC should be taking a proper game down to Canberra, even if it is against the Kingz.

Gold Coast people wouldnt have kept turning up to trial games, NRL sent a couple of game to Carrara over the years as an incentive. Now they have their own team.

Are there any plans to have a proper A-League game in Canberra?

paulquinn49

Bench
Maybe the Kingz should be conned into bringing one to Canberra...unless their 250 fans protest and march to Auckland Town Hall

Raider_69

Post Whore
those 250 fans have probably been to more kingz games then you would a canberra based club aye quinny

paulquinn49

Bench
Kingz have been around like 20 games dood

Havent you seen the A-League? The Kingz are pretty bad, need a big cash injection

greeneyed

First Grade
I would prefer no soccer teams in Canberra. The competition for sponsors dollars in Canberra is tough enough and will erode the position of the Raiders. I am hoping the AFL deals fall through, the soccer stays out and the Brumbies move to Melbourne.

paulquinn49

Bench
Football is in a different season pretty much Steve. Anything that challenges Cricket in summer is solid. God I hate Cricket.

greeneyed

First Grade
Football is rugby league - or at a stretch, AFL - in Australia. Soccer might be played sometime else to football, but I don't care much for it, nor care really.

Boing Boing

Juniors
greeneyed said:
I would prefer no soccer teams in Canberra. The competition for sponsors dollars in Canberra is tough enough and will erode the position of the Raiders. I am hoping the AFL deals fall through, the soccer stays out and the Brumbies move to Melbourne.

There is hardly a breath of competition. Summer sport is a completely different market mate. That is very narrow sighted.

Raider_69

Post Whore
what about local sponsor's ultra?
the more competition we (the raiders) have the less corporate money is likely to be coming in

Raider Ultra

Bench
My point is, the people that I've heard are interested in backing an A-League team have no interest in sponsoring the Raiders anyway.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Raider Ultra said:
My point is, the people that I've heard are interested in backing an A-League team have no interest in sponsoring the Raiders anyway.

ahh fair enough then, does beg the question though, what the f**k is wrong with the raiders? have we got cooperate aids or something?

Bay56

First Grade
I would have thought there are a number of ethnic clubs around the district that would also lend a hand financially.

"Soccer", as some call it, has the most particpants of any of the football codes in the Canberra district. I would suggest that with the success of the socceroos this will only increase.

Raider_69 said:
ahh fair enough then, does beg the question though, what the f**k is wrong with the raiders? have we got cooperate aids or something?

A-League has a potential for a bigger audience. There are teams all around Australia, plus 2 team will be playing in the Asian Champions League every year... Getting your sponsors name branded in Asia gives huge exposure..