What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auckland 9s

PhilGould

Bench
Jaelen Feeney - Really good. Didn't get to showcase his running game as much as I hoped but set up a couple of tries with good kicks and looked dangerous with the ball.

Brock Lamb - Very happy with how he went. Looked very comfortable for an 18 year old and directed the team well. Could be something special in a few years.

Danny Levi - Easily our best. Showed that he's ready to start round 1 IMO. Such a smart player for his age and showed great strength scoring from dummy half a couple of times.

Jake Mamo - Had some very nice runs. Still no sign of a passing game but if he can get into space like he did yesterday/today he could be a serviceable fullback this season.

Chanel Mata’utia - Not great but better than Uate.

Pat Mata’utia - Don't remember much of him.

Sione Mata’utia - Pretty good. Looks like he's added more muscle and is looking more and more like a second rower. Ran over the top of a few players and defended well, hopefully he can do it during the season.

Pauli Pauli - Struggled at times defensively with the extra space but overall he was pretty good. Hopefully he runs this hard during the season.

William Pearsall - Like Lamb, didn't look out of his depth at all. Should be a solid backup half if needed this season

Tyler Randell - Did he even play? Poor effort from a "captain"

Robbie Rochow - Defended well, didn't have as much impact in attack as I would have liked.

Nathan Ross - Never been a fan but I thought he went alright. Looks like he's added some muscle over the off-season.

Korbin Sims - Good. Nothing special.

Tariq Sims - Tried hard but disappointing.

Saifiti x2 - Could never tell which one was on the field or if both were but they did pretty good for 19 year olds. Had some really strong runs in game 2 yesterday.

Joseph Tapine - Didn't notice him much. Definitely expected more.

Akuila Uate - Just awful. Looked like he didn't want to be there at all.

Jono078

Referee
Yep, I've been a fan of Pauli since he made his debut a few years back.

I think he'll provide great impact for us.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Jaelen Feeney - Really good. Didn't get to showcase his running game as much as I hoped but set up a couple of tries with good kicks and looked dangerous with the ball.

Brock Lamb - Very happy with how he went. Looked very comfortable for an 18 year old and directed the team well. Could be something special in a few years.

Danny Levi - Easily our best. Showed that he's ready to start round 1 IMO. Such a smart player for his age and showed great strength scoring from dummy half a couple of times.

Jake Mamo - Had some very nice runs. Still no sign of a passing game but if he can get into space like he did yesterday/today he could be a serviceable fullback this season.

Chanel Mata?utia - Not great but better than Uate.

Pat Mata?utia - Don't remember much of him.

Sione Mata?utia - Pretty good. Looks like he's added more muscle and is looking more and more like a second rower. Ran over the top of a few players and defended well, hopefully he can do it during the season.

Pauli Pauli - Struggled at times defensively with the extra space but overall he was pretty good. Hopefully he runs this hard during the season.

William Pearsall - Like Lamb, didn't look out of his depth at all. Should be a solid backup half if needed this season

Robbie Rochow - Defended well, didn't have as much impact in attack as I would have liked.

Nathan Ross - Never been a fan but I thought he went alright. Looks like he's added some muscle over the off-season.

Saifiti x2 - Could never tell which one was on the field or if both were but they did pretty good for 19 year olds. Had some really strong runs in game 2 yesterday.

A fair appraisal. One thing I do disagree on and that is Rochow. I thought he ran hard and made good meters for the team.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Does the fact the team that kicked us out went on to win the tournament make it any better?

Swarzey

Bench
Eh, sort of considering that game wasn't exactly out of our reach. Really just shows anyone can win this competition with a well balanced squad.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Does the fact the team that kicked us out went on to win the tournament make it any better?

For me, the 9s champion has never mattered...

The results are so dependent on that one lucky bounce (the only being 18 minutes), ive always considered the comp to be more a display of the general athleticism and creativity of the players.

So in one way, we did well to stay near the Eels despite a few unlucky moments. But in a broader sense, its not like they were the run away champions of the day.

Edit: this is actually the reason im so desperate to see a World Cup 9s. While Australia would win most often, NZ/England (and even the minnow nations) would have a much better chance of claiming a tournament win on the back of a lucky bounce. And a win there would be a great boost for local development in these places

Last edited:

Caped Crusader

Juniors

Chanel Mata?utia - Not great but better than Uate.

Pat Mata?utia - Don't remember much of him.

Sione Mata?utia - Pretty good. Looks like he's added more muscle and is looking more and more like a second rower. Ran over the top of a few players and defended well, hopefully he can do it during the season.

I thought Korbin showed a fair bit to be honest. A bit of ball play and a hell of a lot of speed for a big fella