What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auckland Nines

Nines

• Good

Votes: 59 88.1%
  • Meh

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

@MarTiger

Juniors
Rugby League Nines To Top Rugby Sevens.

I love this.

The NRL needs some sort of pre-season competition in my opinion, I'd like the throwback Panasonic Cup, though this wets the appetite. The AFL do their pre-season brilliantly and it attracts plenty of interest and added $ for the game.

It's time we looked at something in the pre-season.

Lambretta

First Grade
The top AFL clubs field fairly low grade sides for the NAB cup and the Swans made of point of never getting past the first round for years to highlight what they thought of the competition.

Comps such as this are a double edged sword as the risks of injury always temper the teams the clubs are willing to field. After all, if you're going to get paid well to not field your best side why wouldn't you?

It could definitely be a good shot in the arm financially for most clubs, so it stands a chance of working, but the rewards need to match the risks and in the past this has never been the case. I think most clubs would take a suck it and see approach. Go in for a couple of years and see what comes of it.

eozsmiles

Bench
It will be great to see some footy early in the year. But it will be hard to get the best players on the park. And it isn't proper footy.

Any promotion is good at that time of the year though.

bluey

Bench
Maybe they could incorporate 9 a side with a indigenous side and clubs can select from their 20s/ reserves and nrl, run it over a weekend
It might be able to take the place of the current all stars /indigenous game which seems to be faltering

Loudstrat

Coach
This. Nies was only Stupid League's attempt to copy the sevens, but be two better. Sevens was great - a real carnival atmosphere pitting emerging nationa against first grade clubs. Super League nines was sh*t.

Gotta be sevens - in the original format.

gronkathon

First Grade
Cabra 9's has always been a great watch every year as it is that good middle ground between 7's & NRL.

You don't put your biggest stars in the tournament though I think it is no more dangerous then the pointless All Stars game.

It brings fans in, tv will show it and it is fun.

Fringe players and some mid range stars. But if the top liners want to run in it as well let them

Perth Red

Post Whore
Needs to be more interesting by having international sides plus some SL, French and png clubs invited.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Im super excited about the prospect of it, as long as the finacial reward is lucrative enough to get teams putting their best on the park and taking it seriously

could be huge for our game, another big time selling point

Also im excited about what a guy like Benji Marshall, Shaun Johnson and for the raiders, Anthony Milford could do in a 9's environment.

As for 9's v 7's... i prefer 7's but i dont think it makes that much difference

rnb11

Juniors
Knights would dominate. 2 of the fastest players in the NRL Uate and Kevin Naiqama, Dane Gagai's speed and footwork, Boyd's try assist ability and speed aswell as Mullen's speed. Fast and defensively sound backrowers. Hope it happens.

adamkungl

Immortal
9s is better than 7s imo.

Should be bigger. Invitational, 32 teams.
16 NRL teams, any pommy or french pro teams that want in, international teams.

It would be awesome

Raider_69

Post Whore
Knights would dominate. 2 of the fastest players in the NRL Uate and Kevin Naiqama, Dane Gagai's speed and footwork, Boyd's try assist ability and speed aswell as Mullen's speed. Fast and defensively sound backrowers. Hope it happens.

what a f**king homer
there is no a single club that couldnt make a case for being a good 7's or 9's team. Get a grip, you pelican.

Coleworld

Juniors
This has been pitched before. I really hope it does go ahead and gets off the ground because I know a lot of fans are yearning for any type of Rugby League action in February.

POPEYE

Coach
Bring it on I reckon, Barba and blokes like him would relish the format. I'm told that Qld's Gold Coast is dominated by
Kiwi money so no shortage of it. No chance of an Indian Cricket style breakaway to steal the best players, populations' not big enough

Latest posts