What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auckland Nines

Nines

• Good

Votes: 59 88.1%
  • Meh

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

LESStar58

Referee
So this Nines competition in Auckland, this is in addition to the pre-season All Star game?

Hate to be a naysayer but if it is we're going to start hearing about burn out etc. especially if the injuries start mounting. Look at the number of players who have had to withdraw from the All Stars.

I remember the 1995 Sevens was played in Brisbane on Friday (where the aqua Broncos jersey debuted...in celebration of John Ribot's 40th birthday IIRC) and Sydney on Saturday and Sunday... I'd alternate it year by year. Have it in NZ one year, the next have one pool of teams play in, say, Brisbane on a Friday night, another pool play each other in Melbourne on Saturday and have the finals stage in Sydney. Or better yet, stage it in regional centres like they used to do in the Tooheys Challenge...

Last edited:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Id like to see the International sides get invited as well and maybe like the old days play it as 7s and not 9s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAPw0fp01lE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWFoI8Q6k4g

Crowds will not only enjoy the high profiled NRL stars like Barba, Slater, Thurston but also get an interest in the International sides.

Hopefully when/if they bring it back they do it right this time. Plenty of media exposure, get all the NRL clubs to field full strength or near full strength teams and play it in the middle of February.

Last time it was on, no-one had a clue it was being played at the SFS, it was barely mentioned on TV or radio and they played it on the Australia Day weekend.

Always have it in February, cause there isnt really much sport and by then everyone will be over the cricket and anxious for some footy.

But I guess the hardest part is trying to convince clubs to use their best players.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Needs to be nines not sevens, they are pushing to get RL nines in C'wealth games and eventually Olympics. The more nines tournaments the better the chances.

Make the prize and appearance money big enough and the best players will turn up. Just a shame it is some individual driving this and not the arlc.

franklin2323

Immortal
The top AFL clubs field fairly low grade sides for the NAB cup and the Swans made of point of never getting past the first round for years to highlight what they thought of the competition.

Comps such as this are a double edged sword as the risks of injury always temper the teams the clubs are willing to field. After all, if you're going to get paid well to not field your best side why wouldn't you?

It could definitely be a good shot in the arm financially for most clubs, so it stands a chance of working, but the rewards need to match the risks and in the past this has never been the case. I think most clubs would take a suck it and see approach. Go in for a couple of years and see what comes of it.

After an off season of one sided cricket games. Fans just want some footy!!

hitman82

Bench
Well since it's the offseason I will name my Warriors 9's team

1 Kevin Locke
2 The Fish
3 Carlos Tuimavavae
4 Dane Nielsen
5 Dominique Peyroux
6 Shaun Johnson
7 Harry Siejka
8 Ben Henry
9 Feleti Martel

10 Elijah Taylor
11 Manu Vatuvei

innerwestrabbit

Juniors
I,m not sure how you would pull it off, but get some top line rugby players to be part of the tournament, to give it some further profile. Effectively a big bash type set up

@MarTiger

Juniors
I,m not sure how you would pull it off, but get some top line rugby players to be part of the tournament, to give it some further profile. Effectively a big bash type set up

I like it. The more "outside the box" ideas the better. I could see a Nines/Sevens concept taking off again.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

I assume when you say 'rugby' you mean Union, if so then good idea.

There was a beach touch footy comp a few years ago which had RU/AFL/etc stars in it, alongside the likes of Slater and Lockyer. If they're hosting it in NZ then it's a good idea imo. All it'd need is one or two RU big names to get the kiwi mainstream press all talking about it.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Love the idea. Hope it includes international teams as it would be a great way to boost their profile and pot of gold to chase.

Png, samoa, another nz side, tonga, fiji, WA some of those who could take part initially.

Hindyscrack

Bench
I've been wanting this for years, glad there's a promoter out there who is willing to take it on. I think 9's is the right route to take for inclusion at Comm games level as well as to differentiate from the union 7's product.

Not only should the NRL teams be invited, but it should be used as a platform for developing nations to get exposure and competition in a format that has a large media focus and enables them to compete with reduced costs.

For those complaining that the NRL teams may not send there biggest stars, you need to consider the differing needs for 9's over 13's. Perhaps the big names may not be suited to this format.

NRLMad

Juniors
As per other posters, they need to somehow expand this to include some of the international teams. If they each got the appearance fee (70-80K) / year that could kick-start some of their coffers for the year.

hitman82

Bench
I've never seen a 9s game played, so have no idea of the format. I'm assuming you would be picking a core of 3 athletic / multi-skilled players, with a couple of playmakers, a defensive juggernaut, a power player, and 2 out-and-out pace guys?

bobmar28

Bench
Maybe they could incorporate 9 a side with a indigenous side and clubs can select from their 20s/ reserves and nrl, run it over a weekend
It might be able to take the place of the current all stars /indigenous game which seems to be faltering

Yeah, TV ratings of 1.3 million for the All Stars game is not enough.
In fact the AFL were so envious of it they created their own version.

LESStar58

Referee
Yeah, TV ratings of 1.3 million for the All Stars game is not enough.
In fact the AFL were so envious of it they created their own version.

Actually, the AFL were doing it well before Presto came up with the concept for league. The only difference is their aboriginal team plays a club side as opposed to an All Star side made up of the best Australian players with the token Somalian, Canadian, Kiwi thrown in.

docbrown

Coach
Actually, the AFL were doing it well before Presto came up with the concept for league. The only difference is their aboriginal team plays a club side as opposed to an All Star side made up of the best Australian players with the token Somalian, Canadian, Kiwi thrown in.

I'd still rather see the Indigenous All Stars vs Islanders All Stars on the Friday before the Grand Final to lift its profile up to quasi-origin status.

Hope it includes international teams as it would be a great way to boost their profile and pot of gold to chase.

My main concern is that they'd get smashed and it would be a setback publicity wise.

I'd rather see three seperate comps played under the one tournament banner with International sides (lets face it, they're cash strapped) playing every 4th year in between world cups -
* Club 9s - NRL clubs and potentially other top pro club sides, say from SL
* International 9s - International sides only
* Representative 9s - State Sides, Heritage Sides etc

So you'd have pools and finals for each seperate strand and you'd structure pool to their venues so that they cater for local taste.

So for example
* Gold Coast might host the QLD NRL clubs and a QRL side etc
* Auckland might host the Warriors NRL club and Kiwis side etc
et al