What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auckland Nines

Nines

• Good

Votes: 59 88.1%
  • Meh

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

some11

Referee
The only solution is to keep players locked up in cages and put them down if they get injured.

georgesnmith

Juniors
trent barrett getting injured and nathan brown having a sook about it was what killed the sevens last time

and a dogs player getting injured and folkes doing the same, maybe mason

the sevens was always a very popular event in sydney

it helped teams like fiji get used to the game.

beave

Coach
I hope other teams dont take it serious in the future and we waltz up yet again and take ya $400k and do the runner back to paradise ;-)

Although $400k NZ is only about $2.50 in Oz money but it's still enough to buy a nice caravan in NQ :p

Noname36

First Grade
Mullen got injured while he was running. If he didn't do it in the 9s it would have happened in another trial or training anyway.

I'm devastated as a Knights fan. If he's out for as long as they're speculating our season is done before it even began. It's just shit luck though. Absolute worst case scenario but what can you do really? I don't think Bennett's one to wrap blokes in cotton wool at the expense of trying to grow and promote the game. We already rested our 3 highest paid players and Mullen was absolutely made for the 9s. You can't predict it. Just rotten luck.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
trent barrett getting injured and nathan brown having a sook about it was what killed the sevens last time

2003 the first year they brought it back, it was good cause everyone missed the 7s, we had teams like Russia, Fiji, Lebanon, Tonga, Samoa. Good crowds, but lack of promotion and TV Coverage. In fact I dont know if there was any.

From memory Barrett I think got injured trying to score in the corner. He got injured a lot that year, even when he got slapped. :D

Folkes fielded reserve grade players in both years 2003 and 2004, probably whinged anyway.

The problem with 2004 was, it was played on the Australia Day Weekend, lack of promotion and it wasnt just Canterbury that decided to field reserve grade players. I think Brisbane or Cronulla had a bunch or nobodys.

georgesnmith

Juniors
story in one of the news papers saying english clubs will be refused admission into the nines

the story did go on to say the NRL received 1 million out of the event as its share of the profits taking the amount the game has banked to over 50 million in the past year.

ek999

First Grade

I think you are thinking of when Mason broke his ankle playing against the USA in Philly for Australia

shiznit

Coach
I hope other teams dont take it serious in the future and we waltz up yet again and take ya $400k and do the runner back to paradise ;-)

Although $400k NZ is only about $2.50 in Oz money but it's still enough to buy a nice caravan in NQ :p

You blokes might be in for a windfall... Experts have been projecting the NZ dollar to overtake the Aussie dollar at some stage in 2014....

http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/newsbusiness/aap/8782380/kiwi-dollar-set-to-pass-aussie-dollar

beave

Coach
So you reckon just hang onto that oversized novelty cheque until our economy goes to shit Shiz?

russ13

First Grade
story in one of the news papers saying english clubs will be refused admission into the nines

the story did go on to say the NRL received 1 million out of the event as its share of the profits taking the amount the game has banked to over 50 million in the past year.

Here it is

...NRL chief executive Dave Smith said last week the governing body would consider English applications for next year?s Nines but it is understood the event will remain off-limits to Super League, with stakeholders reluctant to tinker with a formula that delivered a $3 million-plus bonanza to the NRL and its 16 clubs.

While the clubs pocketed $2.25m in prizemoney, the NRL will bank an estimated $1m, consolidating the $49.6m surplus it announced at last week?s chief executives meeting in Auckland...

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au//league...bs/story-e6frf3ou-1226833050742#ixzz2tvyX9WR7

fourplay

Juniors
Adam Reynolds has just been ruled out for Souths after injuring his knee at training. If he played in the Nines he wouldn't have had to do the extra training which those at the Nines didn't have to do. And if he played in the Nines it would have been very likely that Keary wouldn't have been on the field at the time of his injury or he would have been standing in a different position on the field with Reynolds calling the shots.

It looks like the decision to not play Reynolds in the Nines has cost Souths BOTH of their starting halves for tomorrow.

BranVan3000

Coach
Adam Reynolds has just been ruled out for Souths after injuring his knee at training. If he played in the Nines he wouldn't have had to do the extra training which those at the Nines didn't have to do. And if he played in the Nines it would have been very likely that Keary wouldn't have been on the field at the time of his injury or he would have been standing in a different position on the field with Reynolds calling the shots.

It looks like the decision to not play Reynolds in the Nines has cost Souths BOTH of their starting halves for tomorrow.

Thanks, Obama

shiznit

Coach

:lol:

And there you have it.... If the Rabbitohs took the nines seriously global warming would have been averted, the Japanese will stop whaling and the media would stop reporting on that Corby girl.

Damn you Madge...

TheDalek079

Bench

And it's the Grand Final tomorrow too...bad timing for souffs

shiznit

Coach
Of course, but at least the benefits are there, if you get injured training for something real, you can deal with that, it happens.

But you get nothing out of the nines, nothing tangible can be translated to the 13 a side man. To my mind, that fact in itself very much makes a difference to how and where the injury happens

If im risking my star players, i want to be risking them for something that can HELP my side win a premiership, not risking them for something that even 5 days later most people have forgotten and moved on to more important things.

I was pleased when Stuart named a bare bones 9's team, i was pleased when the players selected played seemingly to avoid injury and for fun only, and i was pleased to hear they all returned home without so much as a bruised shin out of it. We got 110k for that. The knights got 130k and lost Mullen for maybe 4 months.

You reckon the knights wouldnt give that 20k back right now to get a healthy Mullen?
Naming a full strength team wouldnt even neccasarily result in a serious chance. The Dragons pretty much named every with an ounce of ability and they ran last.

These are the risks, some teams are willing to assume then, some aren't, im pleased Stuart was not willing to take that risk. The Raiders are going to be flat out winning football games full stength this year, let alone had we lost a player like Cornish or Wighton (had he played) for a long period.

Thank goodness Ricky Stuart didn't play Shillington in the nines....

Ohh wait... http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rra-raiders-season-opener-20140224-33bgg.html

Latest posts