What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auckland Vulcans 2011 Team.

hitman82

Bench
Pending first grade selection for the Vulcans this would be my line up for Round 1:
2011 WARRIORS

1. Lance Hohaia,
2. Manu Vatuvei
3. Jerome Ropati
4. Joel Moon
5. Krisnan Inu
6. James Maloney
7. Brett Seymour
8. Sam Rapira
9. Aaron Heremaia
10. Ben Matulino
11. Feleti Mateo
12. Simon Mannering
13. Micheal Luck
14. Russell Packer
15. Lewis Brown
16. Jacob Lillyman
17. Shaun Berrigan

2011 VULCANS
1. Kevin Locke
2. Glen Fisiiahi
3. Elijah Taylor
4. Ivan Penehe
5. Bill Tupou
6. Isaac John
7. Pita Godinet
8. James Gavet
9. Alehana Mara
10. Upu Poching
11. Ukuma Ta'ai
12. Sione Lousi
13. Steve Rapira
14. Saulala Houma
15. Jeremy Latimore
16. Matt Robinson
17. Shaun Johnson
18. Ben Henry - 2011 NYC captain

Great post.

And wow. I'd go so far as to say that Vulcans team could compete with a really average NRL squad on its day (say an origin strength one which also has injuries).

Where would we fit these guys in though:

1/2/5-Johnny Aranga
3/4-Shaun Metcalf
11/12-Tulson Curd
9-Darin Kingi
8/10-Peter-George Rata
2/3-Sonny Walker

I assume these "Vulcans contracted" players would get preference to play over Warriors hand-me-downs???

...and does anyone know the positions for Sema Mataora and Anthony Gelling?

hitman82

Bench
and on a side note I am absolutely hear that Shaun Metcalf may have done his time and be allowed to play in Oz now. How old is he?

Skinner

Coach
This from Auckland Rugby League : www.aucklandleague.co.nz

I think I'll reserve judgement.....

Following a summer long pre-season and a successful open trial, Vulcans Head Coach Richie Blackmore has announced an 8 man squad for the upcoming 2011 NSW Cup season as well as an extended squad of an additional 6 players to be used as cover.
These players will be mixed together with some Vodafone Warriors who are not selected for NRL duties to form a strong Auckland Vulcans side to compete in the 2011 NSW Cup.

Vulcans returning for the 2011 season include 2010 Rookie of the Year Johnny Aranga, the talented Fullback/outside who also played for many successful Canterbury Bull sides, devastating centre Shaun Metcalf and workhorse backrower Tulson Caird.

Whilst Appliance Shed Fox Memorial Hooker of the Year Darin Kingi was called upon to the Vulcans for a series of games last year, his great form with Manurewa & Counties-Manukau will see him play a prominent role for the Vulcans in 2011.

Howick Junior Anthony Gelling returns to Auckland following good form with the Roosters NYC squad and experiences with the Cook Islands side joined by fellow Cook Island International & Otahuhu Fox Memorial Captain Sema Mataora.

Perhaps lesser well known to the Auckland Rugby League scene would be Peter-George Rata however the barnstorming forward from Te Kuiti featured prominently for Waicoa-Bay Stallions as well as helping Hamilton City Tigers become Waikato Champions.

The 8 man squad is rounded out by young 19 year old Pukekohe Python Sonny Walker, who impressed during the recent open trial. A talented outside back, Sonny has plenty of premier experience with his local Pukekohe Pythons as well as a being regular for Auckland Maori in the Maori Rugby League Nationals. In 2010, Sonny also featured in the Auckland Southern Under 20’s side and following the Auckland Regional Challenge was named in the Auckland Under 20 Merit Team.

The following squad of 8 players have been named:

PLAYER 2010 CLUB POSITION

Anthony Gelling Sydney Roosters NYC Outside Back / 2nd row
Darin Kingi Manurewa Marlins Hooker
Johnny Aranga Vulcans/Mt Albert Lions Outside Back
Peter-George Rata Hamilton City Tigers /Waicoa Bay Stallions Prop / 2nd row
Sema Mataora Otahuhu Leopards Lock / Half
Shaun Metcalf Vulcans / Te Atatu Centre / 2nd row
Sonny Walker Pukekohe Pythons Outside Back
Tulson Caird Te Atatu Roosters Lock / 2nd row

The extended squad feature one 2010 Vulcan regular Sione Niuvoa Taka, four players who featured in the 2011 Appliance Shed Fox Memorial Grand Final; Atelea Nafetalai, William Heta, Joel Freeman and Kitiona Pasene.

It is also features SAS Sharman Cup player of the Year Willie Peace from the Otara Scorpions.

PLAYER 2010 CLUB POSITION

Atelea Nafetalai Otahuhu Centre / 2nd row
Joel Freeman Mt Albert Hooker
Kitiona Pasene Mt Albert Prop/2nd row
Sione Nuivoa Taka Richmond Centre
William Heta Otahuhu Half / Lock
Willie Peace Otara Outside Back

hitman82

Bench
and on a side note I am absolutely STOKED to hear that Shaun Metcalf may have done his time and be allowed to play in Oz now. How old is he?
missed the critical word... always rated Shaun. I wonder if he could redeem himself enough to bust an NRL team.
Cheers Skinner.

Skinner

Coach
missed the critical word... always rated Shaun. I wonder if he could redeem himself enough to bust an NRL team.
Cheers Skinner.

He certainly has the skills. He always has had. Used to send shivers down my spine watching him as a young fella.