What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auckland Vulcans 2011

ballbag

Juniors
Shaun's entry ban into Australia has now been lifted and he will be travelling
this season.
He has apparently signed to play with Maitland in the Real NRL comp (Knights Feeder). They won the comp last year with his brother Daniel playing also. There are opportunities to make the Newcastle Rep Side as well as getting called up to play for the Central Coast Centurions

Skinner

Coach
I'm all for 2nd chances, if one is truly repentant. So I have to give the Warriors & the Vulcans the benefit of the doubt on this one. And I guess I have to applaud them for it.

But I, personally, will not be cheering for him, if he ever pulls on a Warriors jersey.

Yes, this one is quite difficult. The crime committed was absolutely appalling, as was the set of circumstances that lead to it.

I was disdainful of the NZRL (old version) when they sanctioned the return to the game of the three young offenders. A life time ban would have sat well with me. Time and the aging process has probably mellowed my view a little.

It's an old cliche, but probably quite relevant here; they did the crime and they did the time. Probably in Shaun's case his punishment has gone on a lot longer, with his not being able to play every other week in Australia with the Vulcans.

There is no doubt at all in my mind that, had this tragedy not played out, Shaun Metcalf would have been an absolute NRL star right about now. That said, he has only himself to blame and I'm sure this is not lost on him.

I watched him play as a youngster when he came to Auckland from Christchurch. He was, and still is, a player of unbelievable ability. I said somewhere on a forum recently that, as a junior, he sent shivers down my spine...and that is undeniable truth.

I know a lot will not agree that he be given another chance. The league fraternity in Auckland are still split on the issue. I'm at the stage of forgiving, but not ever forgetting.

The Warriors (eventually) dropped him after the crime....I'm very keen to see if they have any interest now. Obviously strings were pulled to have his Oz entry ban lifted - I'm wondering who was pulling those strings....

Skinner

Coach
He has apparently signed to play with Maitland in the Real NRL comp (Knights Feeder). They won the comp last year with his brother Daniel playing also. There are opportunities to make the Newcastle Rep Side as well as getting called up to play for the Central Coast Centurions

OK, that was news to me. If this is the case, he will not turning out too much
for the Pickers. He would be a walk up start for the Centurions.

This may be a very good thing for him.

Last time I watched Shaun and Daniel on the same field they were punching the sh*t out of each other.

playdaball

Bench
Kiwi ex-offender free to try his luck in NRL

Steve Kilgallon

February 20, 2011

www.smh.com

shaun-metcalf-420x0.jpg
Stepping out ... Shaun Metcalf has been a strong performer. Photo: Getty Images

THE promising New Zealand league player banned from travelling overseas after serving jail time for assaulting his pregnant 15-year-old girlfriend in an attempt to cause her to miscarry has had visa restrictions lifted, resuscitating his hopes of playing in the NRL.
Shaun Metcalf was sacked by the Warriors in 2003 after being sentenced to 18 months' jail on charges of aggravated robbery, injuring with intent and attempting to procure an abortion. After his release, he missed out on a chance to sign with the Brisbane Broncos in 2006 when chief executive Bruno Cullen said it was ''in his best interests to stay over there … and continue his rehabilitation''.
Metcalf has since been able to play only home matches for the Warriors' feeder club, the Auckland Vulcans, in the NSW Cup competition. He has been one of their most consistent performers over the past four years.
Advertisement: Story continues below
But his inability to travel has prevented him from securing a professional deal. Since his ban was lifted, Metcalf has travelled to Singapore to play in a rugby union sevens tournament.
Vulcans general manager Steve Brewster said Metcalf would go on the road with the team this year. Asked about Metcalf's NRL prospects, he said: ''Anything's possible, isn't it? It's up to him now.''
But the Warriors, who have kept an eye on Metcalf's form, are unlikely to offer him anything. Chief executive Wayne Scurrah said: ''It's not something we are considering for now, or for the future. We wish him well for the future and it's good he has the opportunity to play on both sides of the Tasman.''
The Vulcans have thrown a career lifeline to another league bad boy, former Sydney Roosters junior Anthony Gelling, who was sacked late last year for defecating on the floors and tables in a hotel room in Townsville.
Fellow Kiwi and Howick junior Sam Brunton was also sacked over the incident, which a cleaner at the hotel described as ''disgusting, absolutely disgusting''. The pair were staying there before playing for the Roosters' under-20 team against the Cowboys.
Brunton now plays for Roosters feeder team Newtown. Gelling went home and shone in an open trial.
Brewster said he was unaware of Gelling's past, adding: ''If he did that with us, he wouldn't last long. But everything we've seen football-wise, he's done fine.''
The Vulcans, who kick off on March 9 at Parramatta feeder club Wentworthville, have paid transfer fees for 10 Auckland players to their clubs to ensure no disruptions to their team this year.

Iafeta

Referee
I can understand what you're saying here, Skinner. I'm probably moving a little in your direction on my thoughts on the Metcalf situation. What he and those boys did was completely disgraceful. A real gutting moment in so many ways. A complete and uttery travesty.

The line I draw in the sand on what my judgement on him making it to the NRL as a professional footballer goes one step further. I agree in rehabilitation and the right to trying to make yourself a good and decent member of society once you have served the punishment sanctioned. The true test to me is the attitude, in that, does he have the maturity to truly and deeply accept what he did was utterly disgraceful... that's point one. The next part is, can he be a good citizen, as in, does he have the maturity to make sure he doesn't reoffend. And perhaps most importantly, can he be a leader in society, having learned a lesson that he can perhaps assist other troubled youths in the future?

As I understand it, the Broncos were keen on him for his talent but turned him down because they didn't think he could live away from his family support structure. That to me infers that the Broncos aren't convicned he could be a mature, responsible citizen of society without his support network. I don't think that bodes well for him.

I don't think the home for Shaun is the Warriors, and I support the club on this. They've been very tough in terms of 'living' their code of conduct standards, and I congratulate them for that. Mental attitude seems to be a big part of what the club is about, being a good corporate citizen and good role models. The only one they seem to have changed tact on was Brett Seymour, but I'm guessing there was a lot of critiquing of Brett's attitude to see if he could pass that next test, from here on in could he be a responsible leader in the public eye. Given the events basically happened in the Warriors backyard and the bad press and ongoing community sanctions they could suffer if the bad press took control of the Metcalf situation, I don't think Metcalf could ever be a viable option at the Warriors, but dependent on attitude and maturity, and having learned a lesson and have genuine remorse, then there is a prospect going forward.

ozbash

Referee
The only one they seem to have changed tact on was Brett Seymour, but I'm guessing there was a lot of critiquing of Brett's attitude to see if he could pass that next test, from here on in could he be a responsible leader in the public eye.

Seymours previous was angellic compared to Metcalfs.
He actually did nothing wrong except get pissed.Even his indiscretion while at the Broncs was accusation only.

As well as what he did, he let his family and himself down, and the game of rugby league.

Taniwha

Juniors
Originally Posted by NZ Warrior
But I, personally, will not be cheering for him, if he ever pulls on a Warriors jersey.

100% agree

what ever happened to Sione Tongia?

Seymours previous was angellic compared to Metcalfs.
He actually did nothing wrong except get pissed.Even his indiscretion while at the Broncs was accusation only.

As well as what he did, he let his family and himself down, and the game of rugby league.

As a Father of a beautiful little girl I was totally disgusted by his orignal act. Disgusted that the warriors could even consider him for the future at the time. But given years have passed, I reflect and realise he was a very imature youngster at the time, only a teenager. If there was a solid rehabilitaion program in place and the support base there I would embrace him for making the life change, facing his demons in the public light and going forth. The weak man would walk away and accept his fate. Perhaps.. and I could be wrong...but this could of made him a person of worth, a life changing event.

It would be interesting to actually read or hear an interview from him.

None of us are perfect, I would like to know what his views are now. Did it change him ? for the better ?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I dunno if people truly absorb how young Metcalfe was when he did what he did. The kid was younger than Justin f*cking Bieber ffs!

Anyway, I dunno if he will amount to as much as he was expected to as a 16 year old. Even at Fox level, while he's certainly a stand-out, he certainly doesn't scream "NRL star".

hitman82

Bench
I dunno if people truly absorb how young Metcalfe was when he did what he did. The kid was younger than Justin f*cking Bieber ffs!

Anyway, I dunno if he will amount to as much as he was expected to as a 16 year old. Even at Fox level, while he's certainly a stand-out, he certainly doesn't scream "NRL star".
...I can understand some people not feeling much sympathy for the guy, but personally I agree with this.

The act was disgusting. But Shaun was what, 16 when he did it? He served his time, and almost a decade has passed since the event. I know how much someone can change between the ages of 16 and 24 - a hell of a lot.

I admire that he has stuck to playing rugby league and being somewhat in the public eye. He must get given a lot of grief for his past actions, which I can also understand.

Really hope Shaun manages to score a professional playing contract and do well for himself.

...and the Vulcans side looks mean!

Latest posts