What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aus 32 NZ 12

Iafeta

Referee
I recall Francis Meli kicking against the Broncos last year from the sideline, gave the ball a good rip too, wasn't too far off. I would be a little surprised if he hadn't done any goal kicking training. Problem for Francis is though, does he deserve to be in the team?

As for other goal kickers, Marcus Perenara is a very good goal kicker, but of course he wasn't included in the touring squad. Gone are the days of having Frano Botica, Mathew Ridge and Daryl Halligan all available at one time and the Australians living off tries and a bit of Mel Meninga.

Iafeta

Referee
Gunna Matter said:
nospam49 said:
Gunna Matter said:
There was a huge uproar in the second half. The commentators alluded to it being a streaker. Was it a Kiwi or an Aussie?

He was really small....he must have been a Kiwi!

Right on!

For once it wasn't Craig Gower exposing himself, he was playing.

Iafeta

Referee
carlnz said:
Iafeta said:
I think they definitely need a new halfback, Leuluai as we've all said is not test standard. Pity Benji Marshall or Jerome Ropati aren't available.

I dont think we need a new halfback...he did all right today...the only problem I see is his kicking game...its shocking! But he made the tackles today made a break and had a hand in one of the tries...Everybody knows he is the only ball player in the Kiwis so its easy to target him on the last tackles and set plays...

All he needs is a 5/8 with a kicking game (marshall) and then their would be a load of pressure off......

Too bad if everyone hates him, as long as Anderson is the coach he will be our half back...IMO I think he will be one of the Kiwis next "Stars" If he goes to another NRL Club..

I do. One of the primary functions of a #7 is to complete the sets of 6. Leuluai is incapable of doing that. He passed okay, without being spectacular, but if he hasn't got a kicking game he isn't a test match halfback.

Stacey Jones often didn't have someone outside with a kicking game, but he did pretty well because he could do it himself.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I do. One of the primary functions of a #7 is to complete the sets of 6. Leuluai is incapable of doing that. He passed okay, without being spectacular, but if he hasn't got a kicking game he isn't a test match halfback.

As much as I don't like the Kiwis, I agree with you there. He is and AVERAGE halfback andf that is being nice! You can't be a halfback without a kicking game! I lost count as to how many time the ball was kicked to Minichello on the full! Motu Tony may be a bit better, but even he does not have a kicking game! I would take a punt and put Tony at 7 and Sonny Bill at 6! :clap:

carlnz

Bench
Iafeta said:
carlnz said:
Iafeta said:
I think they definitely need a new halfback, Leuluai as we've all said is not test standard. Pity Benji Marshall or Jerome Ropati aren't available.

I dont think we need a new halfback...he did all right today...the only problem I see is his kicking game...its shocking! But he made the tackles today made a break and had a hand in one of the tries...Everybody knows he is the only ball player in the Kiwis so its easy to target him on the last tackles and set plays...

All he needs is a 5/8 with a kicking game (marshall) and then their would be a load of pressure off......

Too bad if everyone hates him, as long as Anderson is the coach he will be our half back...IMO I think he will be one of the Kiwis next "Stars" If he goes to another NRL Club..

Stacey Jones often didn't have someone outside with a kicking game, but he did pretty well because he could do it himself.

I think with the likes of Ropati and Marshall he would do a lot better, he always went ok with the Warriors...

Iafeta

Referee
carlnz said:
Iafeta said:
carlnz said:
Iafeta said:

I think with the likes of Ropati and Marshall he would do a lot better, he always went ok with the Warriors...

Leuluai didn't do that well with the Warriors. Ropati and Hohaia offered far far more outside Stacey. He's 19, so he's got time, but its not his club performances (which led to him being axed and being told he can look elsewhere) that got him his test jumper, its the fac there's no one else.

Big Mick

Referee
Iafeta said:
Gunna Matter said:
nospam49 said:
Gunna Matter said:
There was a huge uproar in the second half. The commentators alluded to it being a streaker. Was it a Kiwi or an Aussie?

Right on!

Maybe it was Villasanti trying to get an Australian Jersey to cover himself up.

JK

In-goal said:
Great win but I preferreed last weeks game! I think the Kiwis will wipe the floor with Great Britain.

I think we saw the widest margin in todays game, i can't see another 20point win to anyone.

The Lions are coming in without a couple hard games under their belt. I am not so confident that they can hold them out for the first game. After that is out of the way they will hopefully come home strongly.

JK

Iafeta said:
PS: Brent Webb badly needs a kicking coach, his technique is AWFUL!

Why doesn't Halligan get an urgent SOS and fly over to UK for some coaching??

Iafeta

Referee
Big Mick said:
Iafeta said:
Gunna Matter said:
nospam49 said:
Gunna Matter said:

Right on!

Maybe it was Villasanti trying to get an Australian Jersey to cover himself up.

Villasanti never got proven guilty of anything, so if you're inferring what I think you're inferring, I wouldn't go too much further with it in the case of slander.

Jeffles

Bench
Yakstorm said it. Kicking game and goalkicking cost the Kiwis.

I thought Robbie Paul was disappointing.

Gower was good but not great. However, so long as the Aussies keep winning Bennett will be reluctant to change the winning formula, no matter how much it can be improved. The exception to this is a player coming back through injury. Bennett won't drop a player on form if the Roos keep winning.

nqboy

First Grade
nospam49 said:
Australia's problem isnt their halves...its their forwards.

Shane Webcke is the only player getting any go forward. This means that Lockyer and Gower are working with the defensce up in their face.

Gower goes across field looking for runners and his runners are pulling up and hanging him out to dry.

Gowers combination with Lockyer is a VERY good one.

They need to get O'Meley in the lineup for jason Ryles who's been terrible. Start Mason inplace of the injured Fitzgibbon.

We need more size and go forward in our pack...its as simple as that.

We could really use Trent Waterhouse about now. A big player who can play lock, he gets good go forward......he'd be the perfect player to bring into the side.

Thank you Penrith Freak.

simostorm

Bench
Nz should move Paul to 5/8, he'd be better there.
Wheres the other Paul brother? Injured?
Im so sick of Gower even being mentioned as the Best half in the game,
Drop Gower, Kimmorley 7, Hill 6- Best combination to play in the halfs since Johns and Fittler.

nqboy

First Grade
Henry Paul went over to the dark side a couple of years ago to play Rugby for England(?). Unsuccessful, languishing in the club comp.

A real shame, one of the very best Kiwis players I've seen, whether at fullback, centre, 5/8, lock or hooker, what a talent :clap: :clap: :clap:

Latest posts