What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aus v Ned (Previews, Spoilers, Post match discussion etc)

Nugby

Juniors
I think the important thing is that we've seen the difference between having Cahill and Sterjovski on the field, it'll be good to have him and Kewell back. Schwarzer will be in goal, Wilkshire wasn't too bad, Emerton got owned and Neill is only new to being a central defender, but put on a few good tackles late in the game to ease some pressure at the back. Moore had a good game.

borat

Bench
Coraki_kid said:
http://www.sportal.com.au/g2006.asp?i=news&id=83501

We're ready: Hiddink

Socceroos coach Guus Hiddink believes his chargers have made incredible progress since they qualified for the World Cup.

The Socceroos rallied from a goal down to hold the World No.3 Dutch side to a 1-1 draw despite having only 10 men for the final 30 minutes after Luke Wilkshire was sent off.

Hiddink, who has already lead the Netherlands and South Korea to third place in the previous two World Cups, now believes the Australian side is ready to compete on the biggest stage in world football.

"The progress we have made in just a few months is incredible compared to the level we were at six months ago," Hiddink told AFP.

"We have had a glimpse of what awaits us in the World Cup in physical and tactical terms.

"This is a result which will give us even more confidence, although the players were far from lacking in that department during qualification."

Wilkshire was sent off midway through the second half for a tackle on Dutch defender Giovanni van Bronckhurst, but the Bristol midfielder believes it was a harsh decision.

"I haven't seen it on TV. I felt pretty harshly done by but it's the ref's decision," Wilksh*te told Reuters.

"It's disappointing, you have to take it on the chin and get on with it and the boys dug deep and it's a great result for us."

Couldn't stop laughing wen i read wilksh*te......because its true:lol:

He didn't think it was too bad eh:lol:

What did he think he collected because he certainly missed the ball.

I am sure I heard least night that as it was a friendly he will serve no suspension and is free to play Liechtenstein

Alex28

Coach
Defence certainly needs some work...but the talk of "should have been beaten by anywhere from 3 to 10 goals" is harsh - we got the draw because we have a pretty brilliant goalkeeper, just like we got into the World Cup Final because we have a pretty brilliant goalkeeper.

What we have to remember is that we are the equivalent of Middlesbrough playing the likes of Barce/Juve/Chelsea/etc...we are pretty much out of our league but have the potential to cause some havoc.

Defence is a problem but improved when shocked into action. Creating scoring opportunities is an even bigger problem...

Misanthrope

Staff member
Defence is a problem but improved when shocked into action. Creating scoring opportunities is an even bigger problem...

Having Cahill and Kewell on deck will hopefully do something to improve that. We looked flat without Cahill.

Moffo

Referee
2 salient points from last night

Our backs are sh*t. We will get pounded if we don't have a good game in the midfield

I'm going to be controversial and say punt Viduka if he doesn't score for us earlier. This guy is turning into a liability at international level

Tom Shines

First Grade
Commendable effort, but without Schwarzer we would have lost by plenty.
And we needed to more up forward. One striker isn't enough.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Macca_ said:
I'm sure he won't be saying the same thing to the lads in the dressing room. Wouldn't expect him to give it to them live on air...

Our defence was poor. Some poor finishing and options coupled with some brilliant saves from Swatter was the story really.

We did well on the score board yes. But we can't give away that many chances when it actually matters next week. We can't expect a top drawer save on 6 or 7 occasions from our keeper and expect to get enough points to make thee next round.
By the way, how many times did Simon Hill say "top drawer" in that commentary? About ten?

Raider_69

Post Whore
The dutch missed a stack of oppertunities, would of put 3-4 goals past us had it not been for the sensational keeping of mark schwarzer

who the f**k is wilshire? Who ever he is, he is rubbish
we were going pretty hard at it in defence, could be an issue, card wise

OVP

Coach
Moffo said:
2 salient points from last night

Our backs are sh*t. We will get pounded if we don't have a good game in the midfield

I'm going to be controversial and say punt Viduka if he doesn't score for us earlier. This guy is turning into a liability at international level

LOL Moff ... you are blaming the missed penalty for your opinion on The Duke ... but Jesus H Christ, ONLY Van Der Sar could have saved THAT header. Van der Sar is like Oliver Khan in the last world cup ... the best of the best. Viduka will prove his worth ONLY on the big stage ... he scored 20 goals in half a season last year to finish fourth in a club WAY outside the top four. Id like to see those stats if he played the full season.

borat

Bench
OVP said:
LOL Moff ... you are blaming the missed penalty for your opinion on The Duke ... but Jesus H Christ, ONLY Van Der Sar could have saved THAT header. Van der Sar is like Oliver Khan in the last world cup ... the best of the best. Viduka will prove his worth ONLY on the big stage ... he scored 20 goals in half a season last year to finish fourth in a club WAY outside the top four. Id like to see those stats if he played the full season.

Beleive it or not but I actually met Van der Sar when I was living in London and he probably the tallest person I have ever seen in person. The guy is an absolute giant, so I can imagine what it must be like to try and shoot past him when he is standing with outstretched arms infront of the posts.

Moffo

Referee
OVP said:

how many has viduka put away against good opposition (solomon islands not included)?

fish eel

Immortal
Moffo said:
how many has viduka put away against good opposition (solomon islands not included)?

If you watched football closely, you would understand that the way Australian sides have played, and the role asked of Viduka, means its not necessarily goals that are asked of him.

Macca_

Coach
fish eel said:
If you watched football closely, you would understand that the way Australian sides have played, and the role asked of Viduka, means its not necessarily goals that are asked of him.
Which is why he will tie with Yorke on 0 goals meaning 1 part of my bet is up :lol: (Ballack over Lampard, Henry over Van Nistlerooy and Adriano over Ronaldo the other 3).

Can't wait!

Macca_

Coach
Good bit of extra interest on those games. Be cheering the Germans on to give the ball to Ballack and the poms to keep it away from Lampard :lol:

Moffo

Referee
fish eel said:

yeh nice point but he is our only striker, so id sort of expect him to score every now and then :sarcasm: :crazy:

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I agree with Moffo on Viduka, he seems to me as a type of player that won't score against quality oppostion, yet against lesser will make his mark. I think he's too slow and unagile at world cup level.

Latest posts