What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AUS v NZ @ WIN Stadium 25 Oct -Tickets on sale/promotion started

taste2taste

Juniors
They really need to start having internationals played during the season while interests in footy is high, as soon as the full time whistle goes on the GF the majority of fans check out until round 1 next year.

The sooner we get 3 stand alone rep weekends during the season the better.

adamkungl

Immortal
is that the exact reason why he quit, do we know?

Can only read into what he said
but he cited a lack of professionalism and values which he can no longer support.

Giving to your country is one thing, but if I was a professional playing for a nation of France's should-be-stature, and I constantly had to turn out with park footballers, I wouldn't be happy.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Can only read into what he said
but he cited a lack of professionalism and values which he can no longer support.

Giving to your country is one thing, but if I was a professional playing for a nation of France's should-be-stature, and I constantly had to turn out with park footballers, I wouldn't be happy.

mate....elite 1 is quite a cut above park football, but i get what your saying.

adamkungl

Immortal
mate....elite 1 is quite a cut above park football, but i get what your saying.

Yeah.. no disresepect intended to that comp but France should be performing at close to NZs level, not close to Lebanon's level.

The local comp is good and big enough to develop talent.
On numbers, there should be more French SL players.
The FFR should be able to hold a number of profitable, winning home tests each year.
Where does the pathway break down?

Are SL clubs not interested in the French system? (despite some of them not even having functional academies themselves)
Are French young men not interested in moving to the north of England? (understandable. Maybe London should supplement their junior system with some French players)
Does Union simply outbid League on quality juniors?
Why are the top players so flakey about representing their nation?

As an international fan, France has always been the biggest hope of cracking the top 3 bubble.. but year in year out they fail even the most modest expectations.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Yeah.. no disresepect intended to that comp but France should be performing at close to NZs level, not close to Lebanon's level.

The local comp is good and big enough to develop talent.
On numbers, there should be more French SL players.
The FFR should be able to hold a number of profitable, winning home tests each year.
Where does the pathway break down?

Are SL clubs not interested in the French system? (despite some of them not even having functional academies themselves)
Are French young men not interested in moving to the north of England? (understandable. Maybe London should supplement their junior system with some French players)
Does Union simply outbid League on quality juniors?
Why are the top players so flakey about representing their nation?

As an international fan, France has always been the biggest hope of cracking the top 3 bubble.. but year in year out they fail even the most modest expectations.

My experience with the french system is that it lacks means and competent, fresh management. The people running the show are those that grew up in the last golden period of the 70s before union took the TV initiative and league stayed on radio. Only now are we starting to see the very small emergence of some young folk interested in league outside of the traditional areas because of exposure to the Dragons, and to some extent NRL via the internet.

I agree that there is a complete lack of faith in the international team, because no one really has the persona to bring it all together and consistently produce results, whether that is a decent coach or a bunch of good players. This is simply a reflection of the management in the game.

adamkungl

Immortal
My experience with the french system is that it lacks means and competent, fresh management. The people running the show are those that grew up in the last golden period of the 70s before union took the TV initiative and league stayed on radio. Only now are we starting to see the very small emergence of some young folk interested in league outside of the traditional areas because of exposure to the Dragons, and to some extent NRL via the internet.

I agree that there is a complete lack of faith in the international team, because no one really has the persona to bring it all together and consistently produce results, whether that is a decent coach or a bunch of good players. This is simply a reflection of the management in the game.

You'd have to think, given the tools the French have:
- first world, relatively wealthy country
- good home grown player pool
- strong and proud Rugby (Union) culture
- proximity to England and the centre of the slowly growing european RL scene

The right people directing and financing the FFR, and a national coach with some serious presence and talent (SOS Trent Robinson) could make some serious inroads. We all wait for that day..

yakstorm

First Grade
Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 11.21.37 am.png

Ticket map on Ticketmaster (https://www.ticketmaster.com.au/event/130056F2A7FC8956/) implying Western Grandstand is now sold out... Doesn't appear to be a huge number of spare seats in the Northern and Southern ends either, although we don't know how many seats are 'on-hold' as some bays look like they were previously selling 'alternate rows'.

Hopefully it will look alright on TV.

Burns

First Grade
Not sure if this will hit the 16,000 tbh. Maybe 14,000?

means the last time these two have a crowd over 20,000 in either nation was the 2016 Test in Perth before the 4 Nations.

Burns

First Grade
View attachment 33795

Ticket map on Ticketmaster (https://www.ticketmaster.com.au/event/130056F2A7FC8956/) implying Western Grandstand is now sold out... Doesn't appear to be a huge number of spare seats in the Northern and Southern ends either, although we don't know how many seats are 'on-hold' as some bays look like they were previously selling 'alternate rows'.

Hopefully it will look alright on TV.
The corners are very much doing that ‘double row thing’. They always seem to be the last tickets to sell for Dragons matches as well.

Hopefully the Hill looks okay?

Would think this match would get more than what Australia got against Samoa back in (2014?)

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
You'd have to think, given the tools the French have:
- first world, relatively wealthy country
- good home grown player pool
- strong and proud Rugby (Union) culture
- proximity to England and the centre of the slowly growing european RL scene

The right people directing and financing the FFR, and a national coach with some serious presence and talent (SOS Trent Robinson) could make some serious inroads. We all wait for that day..

another issue is media profile. they could win the world cup by 100 over australia in stade de paris and the media would barely blink.

as much as there is a growing acceptance of league in the youth, there remains a very hostile opinion in those older and in power (jeu à xiii is still printed a lot in media), a lot of which can come down to conditioning over the years.

same old hallmark statement gets bandied around - league is no good because it is not popular, they play amongst themselves etc. it is very, very hard to break that down. touch and tag rugby is helping somewhat. league on bein has done wonders so it is scary that that may be coming to an end.

the consistent slide of the national union team is also helping to be honest. people are becoming critical of the top14, the foreign players, and general criticism of union in general, namely around the tendency of ever increasing weights and collisions over the historical french flair. but until there is a viable, marketable alternative, nothing will change.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
another issue is media profile. they could win the world cup by 100 over australia in stade de paris and the media would barely blink.

as much as there is a growing acceptance of league in the youth, there remains a very hostile opinion in those older and in power (jeu à xiii is still printed a lot in media), a lot of which can come down to conditioning over the years.

same old hallmark statement gets bandied around - league is no good because it is not popular, they play amongst themselves etc. it is very, very hard to break that down. touch and tag rugby is helping somewhat. league on bein has done wonders so it is scary that that may be coming to an end.

the consistent slide of the national union team is also helping to be honest. people are becoming critical of the top14, the foreign players, and general criticism of union in general, namely around the tendency of ever increasing weights and collisions over the historical french flair. but until there is a viable, marketable alternative, nothing will change.

These situations where things just gradually spiral - need a circuit breaker.
Someone or something to change the status quo.

In Super League that might be the Perez and Argyle cats amongst the pigeons. Forcing people to break out of the usual same old. Causing some kicking and screaming from the old boys.

Toulouse getting promoted in the next 2 years will improve things but maybe not enough of a seismic change to make that kind of world-changing difference im talking about.
What we need is a Wolfpack in Paris.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
canada is a different ballgame to paris/france. much more open minded and less ingrained. no way would i throw money at a PSG mark II.

i would go something along the lines of what T20 is to cricket.

adamkungl

Immortal
canada is a different ballgame to paris/france. much more open minded and less ingrained. no way would i throw money at a PSG mark II.

i would go something along the lines of what T20 is to cricket.

Maybe I'm naive
I think with the right marketing approach you can sell anything in a city of millions. But it has to rise above the noise, offer something unique, target a new youthful crowd rather than the rusted on oldies.