What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AUS V PI

Crusader

Bench
Has anyone watched the PI team play yet?
How do you think they'll go against Australia this weekend?
Do you think they should be included in the S12 series?

I definitely think they should be in the S12 and I also think there should be another Australian team to help promote it more over here, perhaps from NT, WA or SA...

I have a feeling there may be an upset this weekend although I haven't seen them play as yet and this will be their first game against one of the top three I believe.

bayrep

Juniors
I think the discipline and main structure will let the PI team down. They will be fantastic in broken and phase play but Aus will impose themselves on the game and shut them out.

As for a S12 side ? I am not so sure, there is no where to base it for a start and I am not sure I would want to see an international side playing against provinces. The island nations have allot of players through out the S12 already I would rather see them spread out through the different teams. I think there should be another Aus team and a Japanese team.

I would like to see the Tri series expanded to include the PI team and Argentina. SANZA keep going on about how they want to play more games to generate more income and want a product that will sell to the media corporates why not open it up to more countries i.e. The Asia market through Japan and South America through Argentina and the Island nations (Not that there is much money or needs any more exposure in the islands but at least it would generate income for the PI teams).

It would also strengthen union as Japan, Argentina and the PI nations would be exposed to the top rugby nations more often.

gaterooze

Bench
bayrep said:
SANZA keep going on about how they want to play more games to generate more income and want a product that will sell to the media corporates why not open it up to more countries

Because then the money would be more spread out. The rise in total income won't be enough to offset the larger distribution spread, so the current nations will actually end up with LESS money.

S12's days are numbered -- instead you'll probably see a Pacific Tournament (Aus/NZ/Jap/Arg/PIs), and SA will join the current European tourny (as they've stated they want to).

Johns Magic

Referee
I watched them last Friday and they were just awesome. They have the ability to score tries from all over the park.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
bayrep said:
I think the discipline and main structure will let the PI team down. They will be fantastic in broken and phase play but Aus will impose themselves on the game and shut them out.

As for a S12 side ? I am not so sure, there is no where to base it for a start and I am not sure I would want to see an international side playing against provinces. The island nations have allot of players through out the S12 already I would rather see them spread out through the different teams. I think there should be another Aus team and a Japanese team.

I would like to see the Tri series expanded to include the PI team and Argentina. SANZA keep going on about how they want to play more games to generate more income and want a product that will sell to the media corporates why not open it up to more countries i.e. The Asia market through Japan and South America through Argentina and the Island nations (Not that there is much money or needs any more exposure in the islands but at least it would generate income for the PI teams).

It would also strengthen union as Japan, Argentina and the PI nations would be exposed to the top rugby nations more often.
Putting the PIs in the Tri-Nations would cause more problems than putting them into the S12 if anything. The home ground problem for an S12 side could be pretty easily solved by splitting the home games between Sydney and Auckland (where most of the PI fanbase would come from) Auckland would be the HQ as that's where the most players are likely to be living at any one time. One game each could be assigned to Suva, Apia, and Nuku'alofa (subject to the provision of adequate media facilities), and some of the cost of staging games in the Islands could be offset by offering holiday supporter packages for away supporters. I guess you could do the same with a 3N side but the costs would probably be higher.

Anonymous

Juniors
I watched them play last week, simply amazing. Their wingers were bigger than NSW's props!

As for a super 12 side? What is the point of a pacific island side if they don't play games in the pacific islands. If there was such a side, they'd have to split the home games between the 3 nations IMO. A side based out of Melbourne makes far more sense to me.

rugged

Juniors
I'm sure the Pacific Islanders would love to freeze their buts off in Melbourne or Auckland. How about Brisbane or Townsville?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Timbo said:
I watched them play last week, simply amazing. Their wingers were bigger than NSW's props!

As for a super 12 side? What is the point of a pacific island side if they don't play games in the pacific islands. If there was such a side, they'd have to split the home games between the 3 nations IMO. A side based out of Melbourne makes far more sense to me.
Read my post for a potential solution. Melbourne makes no sense as a base as you'd have to move the entire team there. Auckland would be most logical as most of the players would prrobably already live there. However moving a few games to other centres with large PI populations would be a good move.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
rugged said:
I'm sure the Pacific Islanders would love to freeze their buts off in Melbourne or Auckland.
At least half the team live in Auckland already along with around 200,00 other PIs so they can't mind it too much.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Timbo said:
Not a Pacific Islanders side based out of Melbourne, another Australian side based out of Melbourne.
OK that makes more sense but you'd still have to import all of the players. Wouldn't Perth make morer sense for a 4th Australian side as it has more of a rugby scene there, also it is actually really central in super 12 terms being almost 1/2 way between NZ and SA, plus the media probably aren't as AFL bigoted as in Melbourne.

Anonymous

Juniors
Possibly. Question mark on facilities in Perth? Subiaco is tied up with the AFL all S12 season and I think one test a year is all they'll get out of it.

I suppose the same is true of Telstra Dome in Melbourne, but there are more options there.

One thing though, I think you need to go where the people are, a city of 4M is better than a city of 1.5M in my book if you're trying to get a team off the ground. Then again there's a fair South African ex-pat population in Perth so I guess that could work.

I just think Melbourne is the better option.

bayrep

Juniors
gaterooze said:
bayrep said:
SANZA keep going on about how they want to play more games to generate more income and want a product that will sell to the media corporates why not open it up to more countries

Because then the money would be more spread out. The rise in total income won't be enough to offset the larger distribution spread, so the current nations will actually end up with LESS money.

S12's days are numbered -- instead you'll probably see a Pacific Tournament (Aus/NZ/Jap/Arg/PIs), and SA will join the current European tourny (as they've stated they want to).

That is true, but then you are still going to generate more income from more gate takes and merchandising.

I don't think I would have a problem with seeing teams from a revamped comp that would include Aus/NZ/Jap/Arg/PIs. SA hasn't shown much in the S12 to date.

bayrep

Juniors
SpaceMonkey said:
bayrep said:

Putting the PIs in the Tri-Nations would cause more problems than putting them into the S12 if anything. The home ground problem for an S12 side could be pretty easily solved by splitting the home games between Sydney and Auckland (where most of the PI fanbase would come from) Auckland would be the HQ as that's where the most players are likely to be living at any one time. One game each could be assigned to Suva, Apia, and Nuku'alofa (subject to the provision of adequate media facilities), and some of the cost of staging games in the Islands could be offset by offering holiday supporter packages for away supporters. I guess you could do the same with a 3N side but the costs would probably be higher.

I would rather keep the S12 a province team comp. So that would mean that the PI's would have to play in the 3N comp. Give an extra team to Aus as they need it and one to Japan as it opens up a huge market.

I think for the growth of PI rugby they have to have a team in the 3N to generate income have them based in one city to generate home support.

Anonymous

Juniors
I think the next phase for the S12 is for it to become S14 with another South African side in addition to another Aussie side, it was in the paper a month or so.

Rustay

Juniors
Timbo said:
Possibly. Question mark on facilities in Perth? Subiaco is tied up with the AFL all S12 season and I think one test a year is all they'll get out of it.

I suppose the same is true of Telstra Dome in Melbourne, but there are more options there.

One thing though, I think you need to go where the people are, a city of 4M is better than a city of 1.5M in my book if you're trying to get a team off the ground. Then again there's a fair South African ex-pat population in Perth so I guess that could work.

I just think Melbourne is the better option.

Negative. Perth would be far better option, and yes i am biased because i am from Perth. However, Perth has a better Rugby setup, more support due to the huge expat factor (south africans, poms etc) who would (possibly) jump onto the team like what happened with the Glory in soccer. Plus we do have a few venues to play the games. Subi would probably be used the same way as it is for the Glory (only in finals) and either Members Equity Stadium, the Glory home ground, or even the WACA could be used as the main home ground. So there are options for venues if a team was located here.

The main factor though is the support. I think that Perth would get more consistant support than Melbourne would due to the fact the Melbourne has a lot more teams/sports to support, if that makes sense.

Bring a team to Perth i tells ya! 8) :D

Anonymous

Juniors
It does actually.

The only venues I knew of in Perth were the WACA and Subiaco, and with Subiaco being tied up by two AFL teams all S12 season, and very negative reports about the WACA from Union/League (said it was like playing on concrete) it sounded like a problem.

The soccer stadium only holds 15 thou odd doesn't it? I'd say that could be a problem.

But as far as getting support goes, probobly would do better in Perth after reading your post.

bayrep

Juniors
Timbo said:
I think the next phase for the S12 is for it to become S14 with another South African side in addition to another Aussie side, it was in the paper a month or so.

Aus definitly needs a team but I wouldnt give one to SA. Their teams are usually in the bottom half of the comp and they themsleves have acknowledged that the S12 comp isnt as important to them as the Currie Cup.

bayrep

Juniors
Pacific Island team for the Aus game are

PACIFIC ISLANDS:

Norman Ligairi;
Lome Fa'atau,
Seilala Mapusua,
Seremaia Bai,
Sitiveni Sivivatu;
Tanner Chan Vili,
Mosese Rauluni;
Sisa Koyamaibole,
Alivereti Doviverata,
Sione Lauaki,
Ifereimi Rawaqa,
Inoke Afeaki (c),
Taufa'ao Filise,
Aleki Lutui,
Soane Tonga'uiha.

Reserves:

Joeli Lotawa,
Tevita Taumoepeau,
Leo Lafaiali'i,
Semo Sititi,
Steve So'oialo,
Seru Rabeni,
Sireli Bobo.

The team is made up from Samoa, Fiji and Tonga.

Latest posts