What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aus v Tonga sold out - Aus v NZ struggling to sell tickets

RedVee

First Grade
After reading through the thread, there are a lot of points I agree with and a lot I disagree with.

As stated before, the face of Rugby League in NZ is brown, either Maori or Pacific Islander so any 'defection' from some of the P.Is players will put a dent in the team but the void can be filled with the Maori players as theres many of them. Also agree that Pacific Islanders have a stronger affiliation to their heritage than their adopted Countries, even if they were born and raised in those Countries, hence, the number of NZ born Tongan and Samoan supporters drowning out the Kiwi supporters at the game and on the street.

However, I disagree that the 'Maori-fication' of the team was the reason some of them defected as the 'marae-sleeping' happened after the defection, not before it. Also Maori have been well represented in previous kiwi teams including the 2008 RLWC winning squad where 12 of the squad had Maori heritage and 11 P.Is heritage. The problem was shit-break Kidwell, hes a crap coach doing silly things like leaving JT on the bench for the majority of that ANZAC test before the World Cup, pissed many off including myself. Then theres the shitbreak results in the previous 4N tournaments drawing with Scotland etc....Him and Kemble were shitbreak for the Kiwi's, did a lot of damage.

IMHO, the defection of the Tongan players is a good thing for Rugby League as it lifts the International game both on and off the field. Look at how the Tonga supporters supported their teams, thats a positive. I dont think they would've got that much support if JT and them didnt defect and long may it continue. The Kiwi's will survive as the majority of todays team are Maori and it still looks good.

EDIT to add: Allowing all Origin players to choose which International team to play for instead of forcing them to play for OZ will help the Kiwi's with guys like Ponga and Tamou. With the loosening of the Origin eligibility rule.to allow P.Is players to choose them, it gives them a boost but now the rule only hampers one team and that is the Kiwi's.

That isn’t the Origin rule. England & NZ are specifically excluded.

Matua

Bench
That isn’t the Origin rule. England & NZ are specifically excluded.
I think he was saying it should be the rule - not that it is. Then players like Tamou (definitely) and Ponga (maybe) would declare for the Kiwis.

yakstorm

First Grade
Ticket Sales so far. In the Lower Stands, Bays 11 - 16 and 27 - 33 are either sold out or have limited capacity left. Corners are also looking good, with only scatterings of tickets in 10 / 17 / 26 & 34.

In the Upper Stands, 38 - 41 and 4 - 6 are pretty close to sold out, whilst Bays 21 - 22 behind the sticks have had strong sales. Is there much talk / hype for this game in New Zealand?

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Ticket Sales so far. In the Lower Stands, Bays 11 - 16 and 27 - 33 are either sold out or have limited capacity left. Corners are also looking good, with only scatterings of tickets in 10 / 17 / 26 & 34.

In the Upper Stands, 38 - 41 and 4 - 6 are pretty close to sold out, whilst Bays 21 - 22 behind the sticks have had strong sales. Is there much talk / hype for this game in New Zealand?

Starting to get more media coverage this week with the naming of the team and captain.

I still think the public are still burnt from last year. There us a very strong possibility this kiwi team goes through the year winless..

Though I listen to Maguire on the news this morning and he does fill me with confidence that we are heading in the right direction...

Force

Juniors
Starting to get more media coverage this week with the naming of the team and captain.

I still think the public are still burnt from last year. There us a very strong possibility this kiwi team goes through the year winless..

Though I listen to Maguire on the news this morning and he does fill me with confidence that we are heading in the right direction...
The team isnt too bad considering the injuries and retirements. Just lacking in the halves and would've liked to see Isaako or Hughes given a run ahead of DWZ.

Coastbloke

Bench
Kiwis v Roos starting to look OK..
Hoping for a decent turnout..
Seeing a rusty Roos victory around the same scoreline as the PMsXIII..

shinobi

Juniors
I think he was saying it should be the rule - not that it is. Then players like Tamou (definitely) and Ponga (maybe) would declare for the Kiwis.
Ponga would for sure. He put his hand up for the maori team last year but got ruled out last minute. I keep stupidly holding out hope that he plays in the maori vs indigenous game next year and has a change of heart.

We need origin elgibility rules to open for kiwis especially with the amount or kiwis born in oz now. Its funny because if both your parents are kiwi and you are born in oz you cannot get australian citizenship until you are 10.

thorson1987

Coach
Ponga would for sure. He put his hand up for the maori team last year but got ruled out last minute. I keep stupidly holding out hope that he plays in the maori vs indigenous game next year and has a change of heart.

We need origin elgibility rules to open for kiwis especially with the amount or kiwis born in oz now. Its funny because if both your parents are kiwi and you are born in oz you cannot get australian citizenship until you are 10.

As someone who is currently going through the process of getting a passport I understand why they did this.

Don't want to give citizenship to children born to os couples whilst they are only here for work.

Shit, I was born after 20 August 1986 so even though I and both my parents were born here as stated on my birth certificate, I still need to provide proof of citizenship in the form of a parents birth certificate.

There's no doubt this guy should be running around in black and white on the weekend:

PHSP181015112.jpg.hashed.5e21dbae.desktop.story.inline.jpg

But in saying that, RTS is definitely our best fullback in 2018.

Anyway DWZ is an extremely weird captaincy choice. I can only suspect Maguire was set to name RTS as captain, and has named DWZ as a fill in captain as well as fill in fullback. I would've given the temp captaincy to Bromwich and let him fully atone for his sins, then name RTS as captain next year.

I would've had Isaako in this current side, and probably at fullback. Hughes at 5/8.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Hang on guys...

So Tongans born in NZ should play for NZ?
And NZers born in Australia should play for NZ ?

Isn’t that a little inconsistent?
That’s international RL for you.

I’ve no problem with people born in NZ to Tongan parents representing Tonga or people born in Australia to kiwi parents representing NZ. My problem is and always will be players hoping from 1 nation to the other. Makes a mockery of international RL.

Force

Juniors
Hang on guys...

My gripe is only with the Origin rule, they need to open it up to allow the dual kiwi/origin eligible players to play Origin and "choose" which International team they want to play for. If they want to play Origin and for NZ or OZ, then let them make that choice, dont bar them from playing for one of those Nations cos of the Origin carrot.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
My gripe is only with the Origin rule, they need to open it up to allow the dual kiwi/origin eligible players to play Origin and "choose" which International team they want to play for. If they want to play Origin and for NZ or OZ, then let them make that choice, dont bar them from playing for one of those Nations cos of the Origin carrot.
Even more so with origin unfortunately being so huge compared to international RL.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Hang on guys...

Fair point because some kiwis are coming across like that, whether they realise it or not. Obviously I'm not one of those ones. For me personally, I say it's entirely up to the individual. If Ponga wants to play for oz, who are we to say where he SHOULD be.

jim_57

Staff member

I'm with this and have been for a while. The Origin criteria should simply be what they are now (having lived QLD/NSW before 12) but completely separate from International eligibility. If you're eligible it doesn't matter what your national pick is.

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm with this and have been for a while. The Origin criteria should simply be what they are now (having lived QLD/NSW before 12) but completely separate from International eligibility. If you're eligible it doesn't matter what your national pick is.

Agreed.
Someone like Sam Burgess or SBW should not be allowed to play Origin - born and raised elsewhere.
But a bloke like Nathan Cayless, born and raised in Parramatta, should have been allowed to rep both NSW and NZ.
Ditto for Ponga. Satisfies the QLD eligibility criteria, should be able to choose his national team based on entirely separate rules.

It's easy to see why Australia does this - to ensure the best players play for the Kangaroos.
HOWEVER
1) It's selfish.
The Kangaroos barely play compared to England and NZ anyway. Why hoard players and not play?
2) It's unnecessary.
The Kangaroos have the advantage of superior eligible playing numbers and preparation (Origin) even allowing for a few to slip through to other nations. Their dominance doesn't need this to be maintained.
3) It's self defeating.
The Kangaroos dominance makes the international game less interesting and valuable, thus making the Kangaroos less valuable.

Latest posts