What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aus v Tonga sold out - Aus v NZ struggling to sell tickets

Billythekid

First Grade
Why NZ aren't playing Tonga pretty much sums up how inept the NZRL currently is.

That should have been the first fixture booked in the moment the WC semi was over.

You want to build up international RL, then nuture these sort of rivalries while there's still a ton of interest.

NZRL fail again.

Seriously. Pretty sure they would have sold out any stadium in the country. This Tongan surge is likely a short term thing and they should be capitalising on it.

Springs09

Juniors
When those players (and others) swapped there was much gnashing of the teeth and wailing about it.

Also, I never said have a two year stand down period.

Yeah but it wasn't about the comp being mickey mouse or a bad look or whatever, it was about bigger nations taking smaller nations players. But in those examples there really wasn't a problem. The problem is when Australia takes Fijian-born-and-raised Radradra and equivalents.

You said a stand down period. How long should that be? If it's a couple of months, everyone will still be whinging that its a bad look and what not. If it's a few years, people (like me) will be whinging it's too long while some people will be happy. There's no reason for it. It would be 'ah you have to sit out for a bit so people don't complain'. Then we'll also have people arguing about when the stand down period starts and ends. Is it from the last test they played? Or is it from some allegiance switch announcement date?

If you are Tongan/New Zealander, you should be able to play for either Tonga or New Zealand at any time, apart from changing teams mid-tournament which can't happen as teams can only use their 24-man squad named.

shinobi

Juniors
Yep NZRL stuffed up why did they think we would care about a denver test against England? They thought they were going to come out with a nice profit and instead they havent been paid. All they needed to do was read the facebook comments on every post kiwis fans wanted a rematch against tonga we wanted the opportunity for revenge. Only people that cared about that Denver test are those same weird league tragics who are always talking up internarional expansion.

Pump up the test next year Tonga vs NZ get the kiwi supporters back on the bandwagon we could have an annual game that means kiwis amd islanders arent just sitting around while origin is on.

Why NZ aren't playing Tonga pretty much sums up how inept the NZRL currently is.

That should have been the first fixture booked in the moment the WC semi was over.

You want to build up international RL, then nuture these sort of rivalries while there's still a ton of interest.

NZRL fail again.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
So when I was in Auckland over the weekend I saw zero promotion for the kiwis vs Aussie game. Bit one thing that blew me away was the amount of red and white around the city. It's crazy...i saw so many fences painted red and white with Tonga RL logo etc

Walter sobchak

First Grade
So when I was in Auckland over the weekend I saw zero promotion for the kiwis vs Aussie game. Bit one thing that blew me away was the amount of red and white around the city. It's crazy...i saw so many fences painted red and white with Tonga RL logo etc
Are Tongan New Zealander’s big league fans or more union followers?

adamkungl

Immortal
Shrug, this is what happens when you don't play at home for years on end and then show up to a WC and get belted by nuffies.

The NZRL have chased short term dollars overseas for years and now are paying the price of no one at home caring

deluded pom?

Coach
There wasn’t a great deal of promotion of the WC when I was in Auckland last year either. A few banners on streetlights was all I saw.

Springs09

Juniors
Shrug, this is what happens when you don't play at home for years on end and then show up to a WC and get belted by nuffies.

The NZRL have chased short term dollars overseas for years and now are paying the price of no one at home caring

Yeah and then to 'rebuild the brand' they once again chase short term dollars overseas by playing England 4 times.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I'm with this and have been for a while. The Origin criteria should simply be what they are now (having lived QLD/NSW before 12) but completely separate from International eligibility. If you're eligible it doesn't matter what your national pick is.

I'm pretty sure this is the case now. Milford, as an example is free to play Origin for QLD mid-year and for Samoa at a World Cup at the end of the season. Just because he is selected for Australia, it doesn't mean he has to play, it is his choice. It is also Australia / QLD or NSW choice not to select those players moving forward if they wish as happened with Fifita (which is not always the case).

Springs09

Juniors
I'm pretty sure this is the case now. Milford, as an example is free to play Origin for QLD mid-year and for Samoa at a World Cup at the end of the season. Just because he is selected for Australia, it doesn't mean he has to play, it is his choice. It is also Australia / QLD or NSW choice not to select those players moving forward if they wish as happened with Fifita (which is not always the case).

It is for tier 2 nations, not for tier 1 nations I believe?

jim_57

Staff member

Like springs said, it is for "tier 2"but not England and NZ.

Origin teams and NZ would all benefit, Kangaroos would be the one team that could potentially lose with players like Ponga, Papalii etc able to play Origin and NZ instead of the lure of Origin locking them to Australia.

Last edited: