What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aussie team for first Test

HevyDevy

Coach
The first Test is only a few weeks away so it's time to pick the new Test team.

A few spots open for debate, namely an opening spot and two bowling spots.

I'm favouring Jaques for the opening spot. Deserves his chance.

The bowling spots? Well one has to go to Mitchell Johnson now, no doubt about it.

The other one comes down to whether you want to launch an all-out pace assault or not on the Gabba wicket. It's either Tait or MacGill. On most wickets though, this is my team:

Hayden
Jaques
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Symonds
Gilchrist
Lee
Johnson
Clark
MacGill

HevyDevy said:
The first Test is only a few weeks away so it's time to pick the new Test team.

A few spots open for debate, namely an opening spot and two bowling spots.

I'm favouring Jaques for the opening spot. Deserves his chance.

The bowling spots? Well one has to go to Mitchell Johnson now, no doubt about it.

The other one comes down to whether you want to launch an all-out pace assault or not on the Gabba wicket. It's either Tait or MacGill. On most wickets though, this is my team:

Hayden
Jaques
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Symonds
Gilchrist
Lee
Johnson
Clark
MacGill

why is there 'no doubt' about it? considering his mediocre pura cup record i would have thought there is a lot of doubt about it.

and if your going off one day form why wouldnt bracken get a chance? his one day record is one of the best in the world. Not that i think bracken should be in the team.

If tait cant play due to injury , hilfenhaus deserves the spot. He is a far superior four day bowler compared to Johnson.

Jacques
Hayden
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Gilchrist
Lee
Clark
Tait/Hilfenhaus
Macgill.

julian87

Juniors
Phil Jaques
Matt Hayden
Ricky Ponting
Mike Hussey
Michael Clarke
Cameron White/Shane Watson (although no doubt it will be Symonds)
Adam Gilchrist
Brett Lee
Stuart Clark
Ben Hilfenhaus
Stuart MacGill

Mitchell Johnson

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
on inside cricket last night they showed Alan Border's team and Mark Waugh's team

Interestingly enough, they both had McGill as 12th man and Tate in the team, or Hilfy if Tate is not fit.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Jacques
Hayden
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Symonds
Gilchrist
Lee
Clark
Johnson
MacGill

I am a hilfy fan, but I am a bigger fan of a lefty being in the team.

HevyDevy

Coach
julian87 said:
Phil Jaques
Matt Hayden
Ricky Ponting
Mike Hussey
Michael Clarke
Adam Gilchrist
Brett Lee
Stuart Clark
Ben Hilfenhaus
Stuart MacGill

Mitchell Johnson

Cameron White? Whatever drugs you're smoking, I want some.

skeepe

Immortal
julian87 said:
Phil Jaques
Matt Hayden
Ricky Ponting
Mike Hussey
Michael Clarke
Adam Gilchrist
Brett Lee
Stuart Clark
Ben Hilfenhaus
Stuart MacGill

Mitchell Johnson

How anyone could leave out Andrew Symonds after the year he's just had is mind-boggling.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I think the team is a bit of a no brainer tbh. Jaques is the logical choice and in terms of bowlers, Johnson deserves a chance. Sure, his Pura Cup record isn't great, but in terms of variety, we probably need a left arm bowler and I think we need a spinner too.

Jaques
Hayden
Ponting
Clarke
Symonds
Hussey
Gilchrist
Lee
Johnson
Clark
MacGill

Twizzle said:
on inside cricket last night they showed Alan Border's team and Mark Waugh's team

Interestingly enough, they both had McGill as 12th man and Tate in the team, or Hilfy if Tate is not fit.

so they had 4 pace bowlers? was Johnson in their team?

skeepe

Immortal
Matthew Hayden
Chris Rogers
Ricky Ponting
Mike Hussey
Michael Clarke
Andrew Symonds
Adam Gilchrist
Brett Lee
Brad Hogg
Stuart Clark
Mitchell Johnson

Jobdog said:
I think the team is a bit of a no brainer tbh. Jaques is the logical choice and in terms of bowlers, Johnson deserves a chance. Sure, his Pura Cup record isn't great, but in terms of variety, we probably need a left arm bowler and I think we need a spinner too.

Jaques
Hayden
Ponting
Clarke
Symonds
Hussey
Gilchrist
Lee
Johnson
Clark
MacGill

why do you think we need a left arm bowler? We havent had a decent left arm bowler since bruce reid and we managed to win plenty of tests in between.

Infact we have had very few good left arm bowlers.

To me the best bowler should be picked , dont pick a lefty just for variety. There are atleast two superior fast bowlers to Mitchel Johson that arent currently in the test team.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I have already picked my side in the other thread but here:

1. hayden
2. Watson
3. Ponting
4. Hussey
5. Clarke (will move up to 4 in 12 months time)
6. Symonds
7. Gilchrist
8. Lee
9. Johnson
10. Clark
11. Macgill
12th- Tait

I would play Tait in Perth though, drop Macgill for that test.

My concerns about Tait have been listed in the other thread. Can't see him and Lee working together as when they are off song, they could easily concede 300 in a day between them!

2nd concern- Tait can't bat, and with Clark and Macgill in the side that is one very long tail!

HevyDevy

Coach
You don't seriously believe that Watson could be a Test opener do you Locky?

That's ridiculous. Plus they would be down to 10 men after he broke down in the first 10 minutes.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
herbert henry1908 said:
why do you think we need a left arm bowler? We havent had a decent left arm bowler since bruce reid and we managed to win plenty of tests in between.

Infact we have had very few good left arm bowlers.

To me the best bowler should be picked , dont pick a lefty just for variety. There are atleast two superior fast bowlers to Mitchel Johson that arent currently in the test team.
Variety is a good aspect to have imo. Although we don't know how Johnson will go in the longer form of the game, there is little doubt his one-day form deserves to be rewarded.

Jobdog said:
Variety is a good aspect to have imo. Although we don't know how Johnson will go in the longer form of the game, there is little doubt his one-day form deserves to be rewarded.

why wouldnt tait's one day form be rewarded? he was the second leading wicketaker amongst all bowlers in the world cup.

and how do a few good one day games in India earn you a test spot? other than these games Johnson has done nothing.

considering tait has had four good years at Pura cup level and hilfenhaus 2 good years , these should count more than a handful of meaningless one day games.

sure variety is great , but when one of those bowlers is clearly inferior to others it counts for nothing.

lockyno1

Post Whore
HevyDevy said:
You don't seriously believe that Watson could be a Test opener do you Locky?

That's ridiculous. Plus they would be down to 10 men after he broke down in the first 10 minutes.

Actually I do. 3 reasons:

1. I see Jaques as the logical replacement for Hayden, not Langer. You need a more "solid" opener like Langer was.

2. It came down to Rogers and Watson for mine, and I am not sure Rogers has got enough runs this season

3. No surprise that Ponting wants Watson in his side.

lockyno1

Post Whore
herbert henry1908 said:
why wouldnt tait's one day form be rewarded? he was the second leading wicketaker amongst all bowlers in the world cup.

and how do a few good one day games in India earn you a test spot? other than these games Johnson has done nothing.

considering tait has had four good years at Pura cup level and hilfenhaus 2 good years count more than a handful of meaningless one day games.

sure variety is great , but when one of those bowlers is clearly inferior to others it counts for nothing.

Tait is injured. End of story, not sure why we are even considering him as he won't be bowling till a week before the 1st test at the earliest! It comes down to Johnson and Hillfenhaus and Johson has been in the system longer.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
herbert henry1908 said:

considering tait has had four good years at Pura cup level and hilfenhaus 2 good years , these should count more than a handful of meaningless one day games.

Cos Tait seems to be the same as Watson - injured a lot of the time. As for Hilfenhaus, I wouldn't mind seeing him in the side, but with it being at the Gabba and all, Johnson should have his nose slightly in front.

Latest posts