What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aussie team for first Test

lockyno1

Post Whore
Jobdog said:
Cos Tait seems to be the same as Watson - injured a lot of the time. As for Hilfenhaus, I wouldn't mind seeing him in the side, but with it being at the Gabba and all, Johnson should have his nose slightly in front.

Ditto, well said

lockyno1 said:
Actually I do. 3 reasons:

1. I see Jaques as the logical replacement for Hayden, not Langer. You need a more "solid" opener like Langer was.

2. It came down to Rogers and Watson for mine, and I am not sure Rogers has got enough runs this season

3. No surprise that Ponting wants Watson in his side.

1.You obviously havent noticed but hayden has significantly changed his game since test match 5 of the Ashes in 2005.

2. What runs has watson got this season? FFS its one game old and rogers has only had one innings , watson hast even played because he's injured again!

3. whats this got to do with your reasoning?

lockyno1

Post Whore
herbert henry1908 said:
1.You obviously havent noticed but hayden has significantly changed his game since test match 5 of the Ashes in 2005.

2. What runs has watson got this season? FFS its one game old and rogers has only had one innings , watson hast even played because he's injured again!

3. whats this got to do with your reasoning?

1. Yes Hayden has changed his game but he still likes to dominate so to speak. 2 of them could be a recipe for disaster.

2. Look at Rogers in county cricket, had a poor season over there as well. Plus on the A tour he wasn't that great either. Watson is worth a shot up the order

3. It has a lot to do with it becuase Ponting gets his way!

Jobdog said:
Cos Tait seems to be the same as Watson - injured a lot of the time. As for Hilfenhaus, I wouldn't mind seeing him in the side, but with it being at the Gabba and all, Johnson should have his nose slightly in front.

Johnson has missed many more games through injury than Tait.

Infact he missed an entire season due to a back injury. He eventually had to re-model his entire bowling action because of it.

lockyno1

Post Whore
herbert henry1908 said:
Johnson has missed many more games through injury than Tait.

Infact he missed an entire season due to a back injury. He eventually had to re-model his entire bowling action because of it.

Tait should not even come into this discussion as he is injured. He won't be ready for the 1st test.

skeepe

Immortal
lockyno1 said:
2. It came down to Rogers and Watson for mine, and I am not sure Rogers has got enough runs this season

You muppet. How many has Watson got this season?

Overall in first class matches, Rogers has scored more runs, more centuries, more half centuries and at an average fairly similar to Watson (less than 1 run difference). Watson is a sh*t bowler, and so cannot be considered as an all-rounder. As a batsman, Rogers has the runs on the board.

lockyno1 said:
Tait is injured. End of story, not sure why we are even considering him as he won't be bowling till a week before the 1st test at the earliest! It comes down to Johnson and Hillfenhaus and Johson has been in the system longer.

Border and Mark waugh both had him in the team so the injury cant be that bad.

lockyno1

Post Whore
herbert henry1908 said:
Border and Mark waugh both had him in the team so the injury cant be that bad.

Even hypothetically if he comes back in 2 weeks (which might I just say was the earliest he will be able to return), he won't have the form, the test is in 4 weeks! Not going to happen. Will be a good chance for the Perth test.

HevyDevy

Coach
lockyno1 said:
1. Yes Hayden has changed his game but he still likes to dominate so to speak. 2 of them could be a recipe for disaster.

2. Look at Rogers in county cricket, had a poor season over there as well. Plus on the A tour he wasn't that great either. Watson is worth a shot up the order

1. Hayden may well dominate but he is also one of Australia's most consistent runscorers. What you're saying makes no sense.

2. I agree on Rogers but I'd still pick him over Watson. Hell, I'd pick JJ over Watson. As Herbert said, the season has just begun and Rogers has been a consistent scorer the past few years. But on form it's Jaques and if he and Hayden got going, well the Test could be over by lunch on day one.

3. He wants Watson in the team but not as an opener. Watson might want to a) get back on the field an then b) score some runs opening for Qld before he's considered for the Test role. It will never happen, nor should it.

lockyno1 said:

1. So to speak? he has turned into a conservative opener , full stop.

2. I cant beleive your amitting rogers hasnt played well , last season the sun shone out of his a*s!

3. This is a thread about what your team would be , not what you think will be picked.

lockyno1

Post Whore
herbert henry1908 said:
have you got some inside info or something? how the f**k would you know?

Yes, spoke to him a month ago actually, after his operation. He was relaxing in Adelaide with his partner, I was there for personal reasons that I won't go into. He is a nice bloke actually, but he said he won't be rushing it and is very doubtfull he'll be bowling till a week before the 1st test at the earliest!

lockyno1

Post Whore
herbert henry1908 said:
1. So to speak? he has turned into a conservative opener , full stop.

2. I cant beleive your amitting rogers hasnt played well , last season the sun shone out of his a*s!

3. This is a thread about what your team would be , not what you think will be picked.

1. He is not a conservative opener. He still likes to dominate. Yes he doesn't dominate as much but he still dominates FFS!

2. Rogers hasn't got the form this year- no form in England (dropped for a few games might I add), patchy form on the A tour. I would take a punt on Watson

3. Watson would be in my side and in Ponting's side!

lockyno1

Post Whore
HevyDevy said:
1. Hayden may well dominate but he is also one of Australia's most consistent runscorers. What you're saying makes no sense.

2. I agree on Rogers but I'd still pick him over Watson. Hell, I'd pick JJ over Watson. As Herbert said, the season has just begun and Rogers has been a consistent scorer the past few years. But on form it's Jaques and if he and Hayden got going, well the Test could be over by lunch on day one.

3. He wants Watson in the team but not as an opener. Watson might want to a) get back on the field an then b) score some runs opening for Qld before he's considered for the Test role. It will never happen, nor should it.

1. I am saying that having a more "solid" opener in a better balance. Put it this way if I were asked who would I want to save a test..my answer would not be Matthew Hayden, it would be Langer as he is more likely to dig in.

2. I'd take Rogers, that said, could be possible to move Hussey up to open, and have Watson at 4 or 5 depending on whether Clarke can bat at 4 yet.

3. Refer to point 2, Watson at 4 is possible, and he'll be playing next week or at teh latest the week after.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
lockyno1 said:
1. I am saying that having a more "solid" opener in a better balance. Put it this way if I were asked who would I want to save a test..my answer would not be Matthew Hayden, it would be Langer as he is more likely to dig in.

2. I'd take Rogers, that said, could be possible to move Hussey up to open, and have Watson at 4 or 5 depending on whether Clarke can bat at 4 yet.

3. Refer to point 2, Watson at 4 is possible, and he'll be playing next week or at teh latest the week after.
I thought Pup batted at 4 last summer :crazy:

lockyno1 said:
Yes, spoke to him a month ago actually, after his operation. He was relaxing in Adelaide with his partner, I was there for personal reasons that I won't go into. He is a nice bloke actually, but he said he won't be rushing it and is very doubtfull he'll be bowling till a week before the 1st test at the earliest!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

gold Jerry , gold!/ kenny banya.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hayden
Jacques
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Gilchrist
Lee
Clark
Tait
MacGill

Johnson - 12th Man

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
if its a greentop at the GABBA, I'd play 4 quicks

the only spinner to play there is Warne, I wouldn't play McGill just for the sake of playing a spinner, he'll get punished

lockyno1

Post Whore
Twizzle said:
if its a greentop at the GABBA, I'd play 4 quicks

the only spinner to play there is Warne, I wouldn't play McGill just for the sake of playing a spinner, he'll get punished

If it is a greentop and ONLY in this case I'd be pushing for Bracken under those conditions, but ONLY under those conditions! Wouldn't mind Hilfy on a greentop though.

Latest posts