What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aussies knock back shamed league star

gunnamatta bay

Referee
I think the heading is misleading. This guy is no league star.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3569996a1823aT,00.html

Aussies knock back shamed league star

12 February 2006

By STEVE KILGALLON

Disgraced league star Shaun Metcalf's attempt to resuscitate his career in
Australia has failed after the Brisbane Broncos sent him back to New Zealand.

A well-placed New Zealand rugby league source said the Broncos' decision was a sign Metcalf was still being punished for the vicious assault on his pregnant former girlfriend three years ago.

Metcalf was sentenced to 18 months in jail, which was later converted to home detention, after his role in a serious group assault on his then 15-year-old girlfriend in August 2003. The assault was intended to procure an abortion.

At the time, Metcalf was with the New Zealand Warriors junior team, but was sacked by the club after the assault.

He was also banned from all rugby league until August last year, when he made his reappearance for the Otahuhu-Ellerslie side.

He was in negotiations with the Broncos after training with their development squad during the off- season, but Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen said the glamour club would not be signing the 18-year-old for "lots of reasons".

It is understood Brisbane officials were concerned about how Metcalf would handle himself so far away from his family.

"It is in the best interests of the young fella to stay over there (in New Zealand) in the environment he is in to continue his rehabilitation," Cullen told the Sunday Star-Times.

The National Rugby League said no other clubs had attempted to register Metcalf for the 2006 season.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Hard to be a star when you haven't played a single game of NRL. I think this is simply a thinly veiled attack on rugby league.

go_the_doggies

Juniors
I know how people say "every ne deserves a second chance" well he doesnt, hes just damn lucky his daughter is alive.

I read about wht he did early-mid last year in the sunday paper...it made me sick!!

Surandy

Bench
Maybe he could try out for an AFL team, they don't seem to mind girlfriend bashers in their code.

Sharkie™

Juniors
yeh the afl will take anyway....thats because the media seem to be oblivious to bad boys in AFL and there is never really any bad publicity. unlike the crap league has to cop now when willie mason sneezes its front page news...its pathetic.

miccle

Bench
Thank GOD the Broncos sent this scum home. I heard that we were "in talks" with this pathetic excuse for a human, and it would deadset have been enough to make me stop supporting the club until he left, and anyone involved in his recruitment followed.

He might "deserve a second chance" but that chance should only involve cleaning toilets, not playing in a football team where kids can look up to him.

Iafeta

Referee
Not a star, but a prodigious talent.

From memory, in his only appearance for the Warriors (a trial against St George at Hamilton) he scored two tries. I think he was only 16 then.

But whats done is done, and its something he'll have to live with for the rest of his life. Certainly not a player I want at the Warriors. This story has been done a couple of times though, Sky Sports Active ran a story last year? that he was going to be resigned by the Warriors, which I don't ever think was the case.

nqboy

First Grade
Lego_Man said:
I think this is simply a thinly veiled attack on rugby league.
Considering the link, I think it may be more of a thinly veiled attack on us Aussies.

Raider_69

Post Whore
in other news, the Raiders have announced plans to relocate. They will now be known as the "Silverwater Shiv's"

Humphrey

Juniors
Look guys your all better off without him end of story. League star - crap. League player - yeah and not to bad a player but he only played a couple of Bartercard games at the end of last season cause of his ban and his appearances werent that great or acclaimed

Keep your eyes out for his brother though think his names Daniel decent player played in the national 7s a week ago good talent and prospect from what he showed during that tourny. Scored some good tries and tackles well. From the Canterbury Bulls