What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aussies win!

~bedsy~

First Grade
Kangaroos reclaim Aussie pride
23 November 2003

luke_ricketson_2710152_10.jpg

The 2003 Kangaroos became the first touring side in 17 years to clean sweep Great Britain, scoring two tries in the final three minutes at Huddersfield's McAlpine Stadium to clinch a dramatic 18-12 win in the third Ashes rugby league Test.

Australia started the match looking to become the first side since 1986, and only the second in the history of Kangaroo tours, to complete a 3-0 win over Great Britain on English soil.

They were also attempting to reclaim some lost pride for their country after England's rugby union World Cup victory over the Wallabies in Sydney.

But that looked a forlorn hope when they trailed 12-6 in the 77th minute.

That was until brilliant captain Darren Lockyer created two tries out of nothing, the second a breathtaking effort with less than a minute remaining.

Lockyer drifted across field to send Michael DeVere over in the corner, Craig Fitzgibbon converting under pressure to level the scores at 12-12.

Then with time running out, Lockyer juggled a pass on the last tackle, split the Great Britain defence and passed to Brett Kimmorley who shuffled the ball onto Craig Wing.

Wing found Luke Ricketson and the Australian lock scored his second try of the game to spark celebrations in the Australian camp.

The sides went to the break locked at 6-6 and Great Britain took first blood in the second half in the 53rd minute when Paul Sculthorpe charged onto a flat Sean Long pass and scored beside the posts, Long converting to give the home side a six-point lead.

The Australians were beginning to become frustrated with the referee Russell Smith and when he failed to penalise Stuart Fielden for a marginal tackle on Craig Wing only metres short of the Great Britain line, Fitzgibbon boiled over and was penalised for backchat, letting the home side off the hook.

The Lions continued to defend grimly as Australia camped itself in the Great Britain quarter midway through the second half.

First Anthony Minichiello was held only centimetres short of the line on the last tackle and then desperate Lions defence stopped Craig Wing short.

But they could only hold on for so long and Lockyer found the way through.

The match looked like following the path of the first when Great Britain bad boy Terry Newton hit Australian prop Robbie Kearns - the victim of a high shot from Adrian Morley at Wigan two weeks ago - with a high tackle, forcing the Melbourne forward from the field.

But rather than send Newton off, as referee Steve Ganson did to Morley in the first Test, Russell Smith placed he Wigan hooker on report.

Four minutes later Paul Deacon opened the scoring for the Lions with a penalty goal to make the score 2-0.

Their lead was to last 21 minutes before Australia hit back with a Luke Ricketson try.

The Sydney Roosters lock, who made 27 first half tackles, took a pass from Brett Kimmorley and cruised over without a hand being laid on him to score his first try in Test football, Craig Fitzgibbon converting to give Australia a 6-2 lead.

But the Lions found a reply in the 26th minute through some good work from Kris Radlinski.

The Great Britain fullback took a pass from Sean Long and drifted over in the corner to level the scores.

Morley was named man of the match after producing his best performance against Australia and Kimmorley man of the series.

I think we did a great job winning this series.. theres no way we were at our best in any of these games.
Good on Lockyer for finally seeing there was noone home out wide which I had been yelling for 10 mins :lol:

northey

First Grade
yeah i told you all we would have a clean sweep but no one would believe me!!!

go the roos

foetus_head

Juniors
Now the legue is over till the sevens :(

i wish they put trial matches on the tv or soemthing so I could watch them, im deprived living up here in queensland so far from from newcastle

socksie

Juniors
foetus_head said:
i wish they put trial matches on the tv or soemthing so I could watch them, im deprived living up here in queensland so far from from newcastle

yeah trial matches are better to watch than nothing
thank god for the video gallery on nrl.com!

foetus_head

Juniors
Yeah, i forgot about the video gallery, I might go watch the cowboys vs knights game where Perry slams that nrth qld'er. That is so inspirational when im this bored!

socksie

Juniors
i have the knights v broncos match on VHS so i can watch it on my dad's huge tv

i love that game

Leasha

Juniors
I dont know exactly what to think about the Australian victory. From one perspective, I look upon it as being fantastic that even an understrength Australian team can be victorious over England. On the other hand, I hark back to something that was discussed in one of todays Sydney papers in regard to the Australian cricket team. Ricky Ponting was described as being of the opinion that other teams worldwide were not competitive with Australia because they perceived the Australian team to be superior, and hence expected Australia to win. In some respects, I think that Australian rugby league is heading along a similar path. Even an understrength Australian team can beat England... what is this saying about the game in general? Fortunately some competition from New Zealand may prevent this occurring, but unless competition increases from other league playing countries, the level of interest in international football will once again decrease.

So, Im still undecided about the success of the Kangaroos. Good work in their victory, but hopefully it wont be detrimental to the success of league for years to come.

foetus_head

Juniors
I was at that knights vs broncos game, it was awsome. My mates were so pissed at me as they are all broncos fans, and as for school on that monday, ive never had so much fun :) Might go watch that game now and re-live the kick-ass traditional jerseys which should replace our current away ones.

foetus_head said:
I was at that knights vs broncos game, it was awsome. My mates were so pissed at me as they are all broncos fans, and as for school on that monday, ive never had so much fun :) Might go watch that game now and re-live the kick-ass traditional jerseys which should replace our current away ones.

Yep so was i and a few others on this forum.. That was a truely great day wasnt it?

socksie

Juniors
you lucky QLD knights supporters! (someone tape me, quick. that may be the only time i ever say that)

that was a fantastic game. i loved the other broncos v knights game where lote tuqiri ran the length of the field to drop the ball over the line
GOLD
i'm glad to see he's doing better in union

~bedsy~

First Grade
Leasha said:
I dont know exactly what to think about the Australian victory. From one perspective, I look upon it as being fantastic that even an understrength Australian team can be victorious over England. On the other hand, I hark back to something that was discussed in one of todays Sydney papers in regard to the Australian cricket team. Ricky Ponting was described as being of the opinion that other teams worldwide were not competitive with Australia because they perceived the Australian team to be superior, and hence expected Australia to win. In some respects, I think that Australian rugby league is heading along a similar path. Even an understrength Australian team can beat England... what is this saying about the game in general? Fortunately some competition from New Zealand may prevent this occurring, but unless competition increases from other league playing countries, the level of interest in international football will once again decrease.
Look the Brits nearly beat us on all 3 occasions... Yes we are superior, but I have no problem with that.
I think that they should come over and play with us for a bit as Morley has, maybe that way they will become better players.

When you get a chance to watch some of the English superleague,you start to think that some of them could do Ok over here.They have some really tough forwards in nearly all the teams.
While our comp is the better brand,there are a few that I think could make it if Aust. sent some scouts over there
On the tests.....Well I dont know if an Aust. victory was great for the game? as a whole.England went close but it was a Second rate squad and maybe gave the impression that they were closer than the two teams are

108 days until....Well...even longer for a home game :cry:

pommie_raider

Juniors
did any of you's watching the great britain v australia see the 2 newcastle knight banners too Pommies had took to the matches, I was talking to them and there banners are awsome when I get to meet up with them next I'll take some photos and post them up here for you guys to see!

Latest posts