What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia v NZ

ozbash

Referee
ok, played right now, same teams as are playing now (forget the lankans and boks)

3 test series and 5 ODI,s.

who would win what ?

tests - nz 1-0 2 draws
ODI,s nz 3 oz 2

weasel

First Grade
LOL Ozbash are you being serious with your predictions or are you trying to stir us up? :lol:

Iafeta

Referee
We've still got a way to go Ozbash, even in this very series. The signs are extremely encouraging however, I've got no doubt Bracewell has the tools and the philosophies to out Australia Australia (ie out field the opposition, out run the opposition). Apparently we may be over here as a replacement for the Windies. It should be a tighter series, considering Kallis' sudden distransformation form from the Windies series to our series - one attack and one's tactics are aimless, the others are well disciplined, backed up by an excellent field and well thought out. Lets not forget though the Australians have been doing that for over a decade now so we still have a lot to learn.

ozbash

Referee
weasel said:
LOL Ozbash are you being serious with your predictions or are you trying to stir us up? :lol:

no, quite serious.
imo aussie are at an all time low and ripe for the picking.
their top order bowlers are either crap (lee) or out hurt (mcgrath) so there is a weakness that has allowed us to draw level with them (yep, even without bond,who i doubt will ever return )

our batsmen are getting up to or just passing the skill level of aussie.
we are no longer a defensive team.

i reckon if we played aussie now we would just pip them ,be very close.

next year when we do play oz, if the current trends continue (nz improving and aussie not) we should beat them.

weasel

First Grade
Well I agree our bowling attack is struggling, and if played in New Zealand I'd think it possible the tests being a drawn series. Anything can happen in one dayers so you could edge us in those but we're currently a more polished one day outfit than test side so I'd still expect us to pull through, maybe 3-2 or 4-1. In Australia, with hopefully no rain this time to disrupt play I think we would take a three test series 2-0 or 3-0. Your bowling attack is better than India's but there's no reason why Ponting and Hayden and perhaps a few more aussie bats couldn't pile on the runs and I think the Black Caps lack a player like Kumble who can perservere when our batsmen assert their dominance (Vettori at his best maybe but he's not usually in Kumble's class). Your test batting, well it can be dogged at times, like you showed in Perth in 2001 but there's hardly anyone in the class of Tendulkar, Dravid and Laxman. Fleming would be my only concern.

JJ

Immortal
ozbash said:
weasel said:

no, quite serious.
imo aussie are at an all time low and ripe for the picking.
their top order bowlers are either crap (lee) or out hurt (mcgrath) so there is a weakness that has allowed us to draw level with them (yep, even without bond,who i doubt will ever return )

our batsmen are getting up to or just passing the skill level of aussie.
we are no longer a defensive team.

i reckon if we played aussie now we would just pip them ,be very close.

next year when we do play oz, if the current trends continue (nz improving and aussie not) we should beat them.

Well we did draw the last test series with them...

But in all seriousness, Aust 2-0, and 4-1 maybe 3-2. Gillespie is not crap, and Warne is back now too (+ McGill is not crap). Bichel and Williams are ok - Lee could be fantastic but has been ordinary in recent times.

Our attack - Tuffey is good - but to be honest Mills, Mason, Cairns, Oram et al are unlikely to unsettle Hayden, Langer, Ponting and co.
And Billy Ibadulla is right about Vettorri - he's hard to score off, but he doesn't actually get many people out!

To suggest the Aust top order is past it is a joke - check Hayden and Ponting's records last year!!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
C'mon Oz, I know you have to live up to your name, but give us a decent topic to argue about.

"Aussies at an all time low and ripe for the picking".

Don't you wish you guys could be in such a low and still rated No 1 in the world in both forms of the game.

I don't think the Indians would agree that our ODI team is at an all time low, mid 80s maybe.

OK, so the Kiwi's are on the improve, granted, bit I think Timbo's score line would be the most accurate. The maragins just may not be as big as they used to be.

The way to assess a test team when they play Australia, to see how many days it takes us to beat them.

I'd say the Kiwi's have improved from about a three day team to a four day team at the moment, may even squeeze in a fifth in a series.

Id like to see Australia tour NZ, so i could get out to see the games. When was the last time Aussie was here? like 98?

Iafeta

Referee
Twizzle, you didn't beat New Zealand in 15 last series. I think this team is potentially better than that side.

Ozbash, I think in about 3 years time we'll have a truly square series. Reasons, McGrath and Warne will both be on their bikes probably. Some of the other batters are aging, Gilchrist now requires regular breaks, by that age more injuries. Also, 3 years under John Bracewell's philosophies will have us a tight fielding unit and a good unit between the sticks, arguably the difference in a lot of close games between the two countries.

Macca

Coach
Australia won't lose a game to NZ. Ozbash has a total disregard for logic here. How can we be at an all time low when we havn't lost a series since India in India and before that it was 17 straight. You are kidding. Can't wait for your strugglers to come over for a flogging.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Iafeta said:
Twizzle, you didn't beat New Zealand in 15 last series. I think this team is potentially better than that side.

I wasn't playing for Australia, then.

weasel

First Grade
DaleyIsGod said:
Id like to see Australia tour NZ, so i could get out to see the games. When was the last time Aussie was here? like 98?

It was early 2000. We swept the test series 3-0 although the Black Caps put up a good fight, all the tests were fairly close. The one day series went to us I think 4-1. I'm pretty sure it was a 6 game series and one match was washed out and you guys won the final game. Unlike the tests that series wasn't even close.

ozbash

Referee
McSharkie said:
Australia won't lose a game to NZ. Ozbash has a total disregard for logic here. How can we be at an all time low when we havn't lost a series since India in India and before that it was 17 straight. You are kidding. Can't wait for your strugglers to come over for a flogging.

logic- not a word i,d associate with a sharks fan

flogging- now you,re talking.. experience,, a great teacher.. :lol:

Macca

Coach
What does being a Sharks fan have to do with cricket. Logic? Obviously you have none. Experience? You have some do you? Tell me more. I doubt you will.

Kiwi

First Grade
Ok in all honesty, I think the test series would be a waste of time, both teams have bowlers struggling for form. Oram really being the only bowler in both sides who can be considered in good form. And both teams batters are in good touch. Too hard to call.

In the ODI's, we own Australia and will prove it next VB series when we play. If Pakistan step up then Aus could miss the finals again. Funny how after NZ and SA hammered OZ making them miss the finals of their own series, easy beat teams have been invited since. Ponting may be in blistering form, but he's still Bond's bitch.

Macca

Coach
Funny how we have won the last 2 World Cups and NZ did f**k all too. You guys got belted by us in India too or has the TVS cup slipped your mind? You don't own Kenya let alone Australia. :lol: