What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia v NZ

Iafeta

Referee
About 2 years ago wasn't it? I'm convinced under Bracewell McSharkie that the 2-3% NZ has been losing at (the fielding, running between the sticks) are being addressed. I'm extremely impressed with his philosophies and no BS attitude. I think Australia should be extremely grateful for Bevan, because he's saved your backsides from embarrassment against the Kiwis on many, many occasions. Its covered up the top order being thought out consistently a bit. Sooner or later, that plug too will be exhausted.

Australia still ahead, New Zealand the only team with the nuts to consistently press them. Even the games in the TVS Cup, there were times when the screws were definitely on - those subcontinental tournaments are monotonous for mine anyway, even winning one last year was not of that high an importance. I suspect in the new environment (Bracewell and the production from the Academy) things will continue to improve for New Zealand. It will be interesting which is better than half the tripe that don't have the gonads to compete mentally with Australia.

Macca

Coach
I absolutley agree with you Iafeta. NZ are certainly on the way up, but they aren't quite on the same level as the Aussies yet. When they consistantly win over a long period of time including the big ones, eg. World Cups, then they can claim to be at the same standard. There are people on here though, that claim they are already there because of a series 2 or 3 years ago when the Aussies were trying out new things. I have watched the series between SA and NZ with great interest and I think you guys have just about turned the corner as well. Don't try to tell me that they are equal yet though. The TVS cup should have left you with no doubts there. Both countries had the same circumstances there and the Aussies were clearly the better of the 2. I hope that by next summer you have continued to close the gap and it is a real fight to see who wins. Nothing better than our trans tasman rivalry. Hopefully it reaches the same hieghts as the rugby union and rugby league has.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Im sick of everyone bringing up that VB series a few years ago. Big whoop.

Things have changed since then. For example, New Zealand have won 4 out of the last 5 ODIs against South Africa. You can't bring up results from years ago, like NZ winning 5 out of 20 or whatever. What counts is latest squads, etc.

Iafeta

Referee
Of course McSharkie 100% right. Infact, 150%.

Australia have done it since the late 80's. We've done it in one dayers for how long, two months? The tables are turning, and I'm proud to see it, but we've just got to keep winning. Lets not forget, we haven't closed the deal on South Africa yet. They can still draw. While signs are more than encouraging, Australia are a huge kettle of fish. I'm confident we can certainly compete with them, and perhaps give them their best competition, but we still have to tip our hats and say they're a terrific unit.