What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia vs. South Africa Twenty20 Match in JoBerg

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Smith powers South Africa to victory

The Bulletin by Jenny Thompson

February 24, 2006

South Africa 201 for 4 (Smith 89*, Gibbs 56) beat Australia 199 for 7 (Lee 43*) by two runs

South Africa dressed like butchers for this Twenty20 match, wearing bottle-green tops, lined with a thin yellow pinstripe at inch-wide sections. They batted like butchers, too, Graeme Smith and Herschelle Gibbs carving out a brutal 201 for 4 in their 20 overs - which proved too much for Australia. At last, some relief for the home side against a team who has had the upper hand for a while.

Brett Lee and Brad Hogg put together a spirited seventh-wicket stand of 57 but although they took Australia towards some respectability, the visitors' necks were always on the block the instant Andrew Hall delivered an early double blow. The same bowler held his nerve in the penultimate over before Makhaya Ntini finished things off with a cool final six balls.

Victory was sweet for Smith, who had declared before this match that he was going to take this game seriously. He did, too, bludgeoning an unbeaten 89 from 58 balls of mayhem; his score including 11 fours and a six. He and Gibbs took just 69 balls to put on 111 for their second wicket, with the ever-classy Gibbs making 56 from 34 balls. It was a statement of intent - and execution - from the pair, who didn't have the best of times in Australia.

South Africa had the best of times tonight, though, once the game got underway after a two-hour rain delay. They lost Loots Bosman early on, but from there on Smith and Gibbs took charge, bossing the innings in commanding style. They never looked back. The team's batting wasn't so meaty to begin with - with Smith and Bosman toe-edging some cunning Australia awayswingers - but the team racked up a redblooded total, their blows becoming evermore brutally elegant.

These conditions were made for swing - there was moisture in the air, the lights were on and Brett Lee was making himself right at home. For a brief while at least. Lewis may have grabbed two of the four wickets to fall, cleaning up Bosman for a handy 23 off 18 balls and trapping Gibbs for 56, but Lee piled on the pressure in the early stages.

Then Bosman fell. But that's when the fun really started for South Africa and a super-charged, sell-out crowd, with Gibbs and Smith taking on allcomers and eventually finding their groove, and then some.

And the wheels came right off Australia's fielding in the latter stages, Mick Lewis spilling Gibbs on 41 off Brad Hogg, and the same fielder culpable for another misfield, too. Poor Hogg - he went unrewarded, and for 38, from his two overs.

Smith's brutal batting ensured that Australia had to go for the all-out attack from the off. They set about their task with gusto, but their runs came at a price: a flurry of wickets. Hall was on the button early with two LBWs. He removed first Adam Gilchrist for a second-ball 1 and then Ricky Ponting for 6. The delivery to Gilchrist pitched outside leg and looked high, Ponting had less room for complaint.

Johan van der Wath made a crucial incision of his own, removing Damien Martyn - the man who had done the damage last time these sides met at this level - for 17. Shortly after, a fuller delivery from Roger Telemachus had Simon Katich flapping to Graeme Smith at long off and South Africa were beginning to sense victory. But Australia, fighters to the last, tussled to the end and they wound up just two runs short.

Poor Lee. Batting heroics, two run defeats, lost causes ... This one may not have hurt as much as that Ashes defeat, but neither can it have been much fun for him again. Yet despite his efforts, the momentum was always with the home side, backed by an electrifying crowd.

Ponting, as usual, had come out to say he wasn't taking the match too seriously. In the end, it was just as well.

Jenny Thompson is assistant editor of Cricinfo

© Cricinfo

Rammo

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
Test cricket is the real cricket!:D

lol, you made this post at 4.52am so I'm assuming you watched the match.

Even though you think it's a joke.

I mean, it's not like the match was thrown in your face at 3am was it?

If you don't like it, don't watch it, and this applies even more when the game is on at 3am.

Have you ever tried sleeping?

Maybe it just says something about the life you lead, given that you're watching something that you've got no time for at 3am.

Having said all that, I do agree, test cricket is the real game, but you just made a complete knob of yourself in the process of illustrating that fact.

SirShire

First Grade
Interesting. It's a shame they don't have faith in Hogg's batting ability. He is a very skilled late middle order batsmen, obviously with a bit of power. IMO he has the skill to guide an innings home.

I think Gibbs will be dangerous this tour. He was SA's best player in Australia, and he'll be fired up for this tour. Should be great.

aussies1st

Staff member
Thats because they just found out today that he could hit it so far. Hes always been a god nudger of the ball but never really rated as a big hitter. Him and Hussey make our lower order look even better.

SirShire

First Grade
He's had some good innings for Australia, and has a good first class record for a man who is predominantly a bowling all rounder.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Rammo said:
lol, you made this post at 4.52am so I'm assuming you watched the match.

Even though you think it's a joke.

I mean, it's not like the match was thrown in your face at 3am was it?

If you don't like it, don't watch it, and this applies even more when the game is on at 3am.

Have you ever tried sleeping?

Maybe it just says something about the life you lead, given that you're watching something that you've got no time for at 3am.

Having said all that, I do agree, test cricket is the real game, but you just made a complete knob of yourself in the process of illustrating that fact.

I wasn't watching it actually. I was watching the Golf instead. And I was up becuase my fiance was coming back from Thailand at 10am so I didn't have much choice!

sanjane

Juniors
lockyno1,

Yes. Test cricket is the real cricket. But to say that 20/20 is BORING.....how anyone can say that is beyond me.

And, good Test players can make not-so-good ODI players (take Mark Richardson, Thilan Samaraweera, Stuart Macgill etc.....)

So it works both ways.

Kiwi

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
A bit of hit and giggle, why do we have to play 20/20 games FFS! They are rubbish! One-dayer's are bad enough!

On a side note whats your opinion on Kallis?

lockyno1

Post Whore
sanjane said:
lockyno1,

Yes. Test cricket is the real cricket. But to say that 20/20 is BORING.....how anyone can say that is beyond me.

And, good Test players can make not-so-good ODI players (take Mark Richardson, Thilan Samaraweera, Stuart Macgill etc.....)

So it works both ways.

I'd suggest you look at Macgill's ODI record! I find 20/20 boring, it is just slogging. Honestly, that is not what I wach cricket for!

lockyno1

Post Whore
Kiwi said:
On a side note whats your opinion on Kallis?

Kallis is one of the best all-rounders in the world. I have the upmost respect for him and love watching him bat in tests.

2 True Blues

Coach
Close game. But feel that Symo and Hussey would have made it an Aussie victory so the final result does not really justify the effort or true qualities of the sides. But the 20/20 game is fast and entertaining thats for sure. Kinda like hit and run but at times !!

They should make it out for hitting it over the fence, and one handed catches off the sh*thouse roof but ....LOL......

sanjane

Juniors
Timbo said:
MacGill is a great one day player, just unrewarded.

Probably true.

Same could prob be said of those that I mentioned (and guys like Langer etc) but I guess we'll never really know.

2 True Blues

Coach
Probably true !!!! Just probably though....LOL..... Sure as sh*t Warney won't get another run unless he elects to though !!! Unless the Vict cricket club are selectin LOL

Lets hope the umpiring in this 20/20 match is not any indication of the standard we will see throughout the test and odi series. both Gilly and Ponting were blatantly not out and in the end it cost us the match. Someone needed to tell The bias twat that a set of stumps is not 3 metres tall. Its OK now in a 20/20 match, no one cares, but if it happens in the test series its going to ruin the series just like it did in sydney.

El Diablo

Post Whore
didn't Tony Greig relish being in a booth with more bias commentators

lets hope customs doesn't let the racist piece of dog sh*t back in the country

2 True Blues

Coach
Here here mate!!!!. Why they let that bias f**kknuckle comentate is beyond me. He gets a full fat whenever the Aussies look rarely down in a match and a soft on when we come back and kick arse as USUAL !!! Bias f**k that he is. Been thinkin it for ages !!!!