What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia won't win 2022 WC

Gobsmacked

Bench
The people whose livelihoods depend on it rate Australia 3 chances in 4 of winning the tournament. NZ are rated one in 7, England 1 in 8. Personally I hope someone other than Aus win it, for the good of the sport.
Those odds are based on the number of willing participants to create an even spread ensuring that the bookmaker's remains ambiguous and profitable regardless of the outcome.
Eg: Australia has 26 million people ( punters) NZ 6 million. So the there needs to be a disincentive for Australians to place a bet and an incentive for Kiwis to even the spread.
Betting agencies main goal is the remove risk and guarantee income.
Because their livelihood is relying on it.
Therefore..
It's not indicative of the chances they have of winning In this case especially.

Stinkfinger

Juniors
Those odds are based on the number of willing participants to create an even spread ensuring that the bookmaker's remains ambiguous and profitable regardless of the outcome.
Eg: Australia has 26 million people ( punters) NZ 6 million. So the there needs to be a disincentive for Australians to place a bet and an incentive for Kiwis to even the spread.
Therefore..
It's not indicative of the chances they have of winning In this case especially.
There's an element of that, but that's a raging hot favourite in anyones language. I doubt they are holding huge amounts on the event at this stage anyway.

some11

Referee
No turbo, no easy wins. Yes, he's that good.

The aus test teams of the past were basically the QLD spine that shat all over everyone else. The next gen don't spend enough time together to gel the way those past teams did.

My biggest concern is tedesco, he isn't anywhere near as deadly as he used to be.

Iamback

Coach
Therefore..

the unknown here is the final makeup of the island sides.

Australia has more depth so won't feel it as much as NZ.

There were a few guys in that side v Tonga who could go elsewhere.

if Dylan Brown goes to Samoa then the squad looks weaker. The odds will no doubt change a lot closer to the tournament

Matua

Bench
the unknown here is the final makeup of the island sides.

Australia has more depth so won't feel it as much as NZ.

There were a few guys in that side v Tonga who could go elsewhere.

if Dylan Brown goes to Samoa then the squad looks weaker. The odds will no doubt change a lot closer to the tournament
The Kiwis are a happy camp this year, not like to 2017 when they (especially Taumalolo) hated their coach. Furthermore, if international rugby league allows players to swap on the eve of a tournament again then we may as well all give up and just watch SoO because really what is the point then?

Iamback

Coach
The Kiwis are a happy camp this year, not like to 2017 when they (especially Taumalolo) hated their coach. Furthermore, if international rugby league allows players to swap on the eve of a tournament again then we may as well all give up and just watch SoO because really what is the point then?

We all know the IRL is useless.

The story around To'o said he had until 6 weeks from the tournament to decide.

A few players haven't stated either way yet but I am happy for it. If it improves the standard. The biggest issue is the pay difference

Matua

Bench
We all know the IRL is useless.

The story around To'o said he had until 6 weeks from the tournament to decide.

A few players haven't stated either way yet but I am happy for it. If it improves the standard. The biggest issue is the pay difference
Either way, I highly doubt any of the Kiwis from that test will defect to an Island team (some might not make the squad and then pick an Island team though). Brown definitely wont.

Iamback

Coach
Either way, I highly doubt any of the Kiwis from that test will defect to an Island team (some might not make the squad and then pick an Island team though). Brown definitely wont.

All the Penrith boys decided to all play for Samoa and break away after the WC

If Paulo does the same maybe Brown follows as unlikely as it is.

Suddenly that to me makes Samoa favourites

Matua

Bench
All the Penrith boys decided to all play for Samoa and break away after the WC

If Paulo does the same maybe Brown follows as unlikely as it is.

Suddenly that to me makes Samoa favourites
What has Penrith got to do with the Kiwis? Only one of them was eligible for NZ (through birth) but grew up in Oz.

From that Kiwis team there's Brown (as I said unlikely), NAS (has repeatedly come out saying he wont), Papali'i (never given any indication he wants to chose Samoa), Leota (not sure, I wasn't sure he was a NZer before his recent selection - but isn't he a Penrith boy so shouldn't he have already have decided to play for Samoa), and Mulitalo (he had a choice to make very recently and chose NZ).

Iamback

Coach
What has Penrith got to do with the Kiwis? Only one of them was eligible for NZ (through birth) but grew up in Oz.

From that Kiwis team there's Brown (as I said unlikely), NAS (has repeatedly come out saying he wont), Papali'i (never given any indication he wants to chose Samoa), Leota (not sure, I wasn't sure he was a NZer before his recent selection - but isn't he a Penrith boy so shouldn't he have already have decided to play for Samoa), and Mulitalo (he had a choice to make very recently and chose NZ).

Just using that as an example as sometimes friendship and being close can cause change.

Leota will go too. A lot of the players are holding off announcing until after the season.

As an Australian, I don't expect to see Tino or Paulo in the team and the tournament will be better for it

mozza91

Coach
It should a very open tournament. On their day Samoa and Tonga are capable of knocking off Australia or New Zealand if they play at their absolute best. England will be a good chance too.

Loving the resurgence of the International game. I’m in the minority but I prefer it to Origin.

Gobsmacked

Bench
The other weekend Tonga,Samoa and NZ all played. Whoever was eligible for more than one side made a clear decision less than 2 weeks ago.
Any speculation was settled 2 weeks ago...
Fxck me 🤦‍♂️

Iamback

Coach
The other weekend Tonga,Samoa and NZ all played. Whoever was eligible for more than one side made a clear decision less than 2 weeks ago.
Any speculation was settled 2 weeks ago...
Fxck me 🤦‍♂️

A few players chose Origin but won't choose Australia. How much was money related no one knows

Smug Panther

First Grade
It should a very open tournament. On their day Samoa and Tonga are capable of knocking off Australia or New Zealand if they play at their absolute best. England will be a good chance too.

Loving the resurgence of the International game. I’m in the minority but I prefer it to Origin.
England are the 5th best side.