What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia won't win 2022 WC

Matua

Bench
Just using that as an example as sometimes friendship and being close can cause change.

Leota will go too. A lot of the players are holding off announcing until after the season.

As an Australian, I don't expect to see Tino or Paulo in the team and the tournament will be better for it
Why are you so convinced about Leota? And who are these "A lot of players are holding off"? Are you talking about Aussies?

Hopefully not in 10 years
I'm no fan of origin but don't mind if it exists, but either make it Aussie only, or open it up to everybody.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Why are you so convinced about Leota? And who are these "A lot of players are holding off"? Are you talking about Aussies?

I'm no fan of origin but don't mind if it exists, but either make it Aussie only, or open it up to everybody.
1 game a year open for anyone who lived in the state as a kid

jim_57

Staff member
Just to clear it up about Dylan Brown and a few others being talked about in here. There is a rule that you can’t switch nations in a calendar year.

So Brown, Mulitalo, NAS, Leota etc won’t be able to play for Samoa and all players who played in the mid-year tests are locked in for the World Cup. Origin obviously doesn’t count so all those dual eligible players can choose.

Link
  • A player can only elect to represent one nation in any calendar year

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
Just to clear it up about Dylan Brown and a few others being talked about in here. There is a rule that you can’t switch nations in a calendar year.

So Brown, Mulitalo, NAS, Leota etc won’t be able to play for Samoa and all players who played in the mid-year tests are locked in for the World Cup. Origin obviously doesn’t count so all those dual eligible players can choose.

Link

Did they change to NZ though? If they were already with NZ then they haven't switched yet.

jim_57

Staff member
Did they change to NZ though? If they were already with NZ then they haven't switched yet.
Elect, nothing about switching. They’ve played for NZ this year so unless this rule is ignored they’ll play for them at the World Cup. It’s a newer rule that came in a couple of years ago after the Taumalolo, Tapau, Fifita stuff.

Iamback

Coach
t
Elect, nothing about switching. They’ve played for NZ this year so unless this rule is ignored they’ll play for them at the World Cup. It’s a newer rule that came in a couple of years ago after the Taumalolo, Tapau, Fifita stuff.

This is the rule that has been reported

A Player who maintains eligibility for both a Tier One Nation and a Tier Two Nation/Tier Three Nation must nominate which Nation he/she elects to play for in an IRL Global Event three calendar weeks prior to the Opening Match of the IRL Global Event or the date required for final nominations in the Tournament Manual whichever is the earlier. Tier One Nations are required to declare which dual qualified Players have been selected for their IRL Global Event final squads a minimum of three calendar weeks prior to the Opening Match of the IRL Global Event or the date specified in the Tournament Manual whichever is the earlier. Should such selection not be notified by the Tier One Nation three calendar weeks prior to the IRL Global Event or the date required for final nominations in the Tournament Manual whichever is the earlier then the Player may only represent his/her elected Tier Two Nation/Tier Three Nation in such IRL Global Event.

The calendar year rule makes sense. Hopefully they stick to their guns

The sooner Samoa and Tonga are tier 1 the better. Will stop this farce

Smug Panther

First Grade
Not until we stop being so precious about origin, which should not be seen as a Kangaroos selection trial and therefore has no relevance to international RL eligibility!
It's taken almost 50k posts but you finally have something right!

Iamback

Coach
Not until we stop being so precious about origin, which should not be seen as a Kangaroos selection trial and therefore has no relevance to international RL eligibility!

It isn't though.

NSW has picked Tupou knowing he is playing for Tonga. There is another 6 or 7 in Origin now who will be in the island countries.

Take Luai. He has played all his junior footy at Penrith with Cleary. Both are as eligible as each other for NSW.

The biggest issue for the tier 2 countries is money.

Last edited:

Llangennech

Juniors
Hopefully not in 10 years
Oooofff. I hope it does still exists in 15 years time.

Anyway, re. international matches, for me and I reckon it goes for most, international matches reach parts of the brain that club matches cannot; but of course Origin is a representative match, so I suppose people feel similar in NSW towards the Blues as people who support Wales in RU feel. But obviously there are only 3 Origin matches per season.

Llangennech

Juniors
I agree it shouldn't be seen as Aussie trial matches, they should never have been seen as those as Origin is different, it's unique, it can't really be compared to anything else, there isn't anything else like it in the world.

And re. the Aussie forward pack, as has bn said we don't know who's gonna make themselves available for the 'Roos. Klemmer seems to be going okay, he might travel if he wants to leave his family for a few weeks. J McLean? A few QLD forwards will probably go by the looks of things.

Gobsmacked

Bench
It definitely feels like Origin is in the faze where we don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water.
It has been so fantastic for the sport in growing the game. People who don't follow NRL always still watch Origin- let that sink in .
I think we have the right balance as it is now where you you have certain criteria ( meaning the state means something to you) but you can still play for another country.
The only issue is that it has to be a tier 2 country I think?
It shouldn't matter what country it is is all.

Iamback

Coach
It definitely feels like Origin is in the faze where we don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water.
It has been so fantastic for the sport in growing the game. People who don't follow NRL always still watch Origin- let that sink in .
I think we have the right balance as it is now where you you have certain criteria ( meaning the state means something to you) but you can still play for another country.
The only issue is that it has to be a tier 2 country I think?
It shouldn't matter what country it is is all.

Most kiwis wouldn't qualify anyway. Same too Poms.

I think the balance now is good. Fittler made his stance clear on NSW eligible players and the Blues.

Given QLD's smaller player pool, I can't imagine they would have an issue if guys like Nanai play for other countries.

So I don't see Origin as the barrier the forum whinger does. That said a plan on how to get Samoa, France etc into tier 1 status should be high on the list of priorities

It isn't though.

NSW has picked Tupou knowing he is playing for Tonga. There is another 6 or 7 in Origin now who will be in the island countries.

Take Luai. He has played all his junior footy at Penrith with Cleary. Both are as eligible as each other for NSW.

The biggest issue for the tier 2 countries is money.

Cleary started playing RL in Auckland.
Luai played for the junior kiwis. Both are eligible for NZ.