What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia won't win 2022 WC

Clarkent

Juniors
Did anyone see this coming ?
Great news for Tonga, especially now that Tupouniua has been ruled out for the season.
Yup not a bad replacement. But tonga are stacked in that position too. They just need halves tbh. I don't watch much super league but I hope Lolohea is playing well for Tonga's sake

taste2taste

Juniors
Yup not a bad replacement. But tonga are stacked in that position too. They just need halves tbh. I don't watch much super league but I hope Lolohea is playing well for Tonga's sake
I'd totally forgotten about Lolohea. With that forward pack the spine will have a field day. Even a very average half would be able to look like an immortal.

Iamback

Coach
Did anyone see this coming ?
Great news for Tonga, especially now that Tupouniua has been ruled out for the season.

I said earlier in the thread that atleast 6-10 players from Origin will play for the island nations. Which is great for the game

Pezz70

Juniors
It's not as clear cut as you think.

Cleary is slightly better than Hughes, but not by much. Hughes outplayed him in the 2020 GF, and can easily do it again especially behind our superior pack. It's probably a moot point anyway as Mal will likely pick DCE who isn't as good as Hughes.

Munster is better than Brown but not by much on current form. Brown is an outstanding player, and on his day can get the better of Munster who's prone to the odd brain explosion.

Tedesco is probably past his best, and Ponga is a complete non-factor. He's not better than Manu in any position. He's a coward in defence. Manu could easily have as big of an impact as either of them from fullback.

You may not rate Smith as a hooker, but f**k your opinion. Trent Robinson does and plenty of other good judges do as well. He grows an extra leg at international level. Cook is clearly past his best, and Grant doesn't have any test experience.

We are not worried about any of these players. Compared to the great Kangaroo spine players of the past, they're not in the same class. As stated above, there's not much in terms of combinations there. Munster and Cleary have never played together. Grant and Cleary have never played together etc. The Kangaroos have had ready-made combos in the spine for many years which is what troubled us at times. We still had our tournament wins though. This lot isn't intimidating.
The Kangaroos style of football makes them hard to beat,consistent, good discipline, mistake free footy is the hallmark of Kangaroos sides, this is where the other sides fall down. The island nations play some great adlib footy but they don’t tend to get into the grind and it is very hard to be consistently good playing flash footy.

Clarkent

Juniors
The Kangaroos style of football makes them hard to beat,consistent, good discipline, mistake free footy is the hallmark of Kangaroos sides, this is where the other sides fall down. The island nations play some great adlib footy but they don’t tend to get into the grind and it is very hard to be consistently good playing flash footy.
Totally agree. In saying that the island nations are starting to catch up, especially when tonga beat them.

Matua

Bench
I'd totally forgotten about Lolohea. With that forward pack the spine will have a field day. Even a very average half would be able to look like an immortal.
Aside from when the pack is matched/bettered - which is exactly what happened in the last two matches against the Kiwis.

The Kangaroos don't have a style of football though. The roos as we know them died in 2018.

taste2taste

Juniors
This quote jumps out to me, im thinking these guys are worried they might recieve backlash for committing to thier heritage country.

“It’s how we grew up in the Samoan community and Samoan churches. It’s instilled in us. Hopefully we don’t get judged too badly for that.”

Clarkent

Juniors
This quote jumps out to me, im thinking these guys are worried they might recieve backlash for committing to thier heritage country.

“It’s how we grew up in the Samoan community and Samoan churches. It’s instilled in us. Hopefully we don’t get judged too badly for that.”
I don't blame them. The media loves to jump on these guys but says nothing when they get picked for origin after playing for samoa the previous world cup. I hope the aussies don't win the world cup so they can stop thinking they own the game

taste2taste

Juniors
I don't blame them. The media loves to jump on these guys but says nothing when they get picked for origin after playing for samoa the previous world cup. I hope the aussies don't win the world cup so they can stop thinking they own the game
I'm with you. I'll be cheering for anyone but Australia.
Thier treatment of international football has been deplorable at best.

I'm hopeful the reports are correct and Papalii commits, soon followed by Jnr, Crichton, Suaallii and big Tino & Haas.

A full strength Samoa will be close to unbeatable.

Last edited:

Clarkent

Juniors

I'm hopeful the reports are correct and Papalii commits, soon followed by Jnr, Crichton, Suaallii and big Tino & Haas.

Papali'i was committed last season but only if they change the coach. That's the only thing worrying me about Papali'i. Because he was the first one to come out and called out the samoan coach. So I hope they resolved all of that for the teams sake. Even tho I wished they got rid of Parish. Tino and Haas I don't see playing for samoa. Suali'i will be samoas x-factor for the world cup. He is going to be a superstar next year. He reminds me alot of Israel Folau and the kids only 18 turning 19 next week. He's naturally a Fullback/Halfback but he's so good he can play anywhere. England are gonna be tough tho and samoa needs to be at their best to beat them

Clarkent

Juniors

From the players committed so far and a fee that might miss out on the kangaroos this is probably the best team samoa can field.
1 Joseph Suaali'i
2 Murray Taulagi
3 Izack Tago
4 Stephen Crichton
5 Brian To'o
6 Jarome Luai
7 Anthony Milford
8 Junior Paulo
9 Danny Levi
10 Martin Taupau
11 Jeremiah Nanai
12 Luciano Leilua
13 Josh Aloiai

14 Hamish-Tabuai Fidow
15 Josh Papali'i
16 Jayd'n Sua
17 Josh Shuster

taste2taste

Juniors
From the players committed so far and a fee that might miss out on the kangaroos this is probably the best team samoa can field.
1 Joseph Suaali'i
2 Murray Taulagi
3 Izack Tago
4 Stephen Crichton
5 Brian To'o
6 Jarome Luai
7 Anthony Milford
8 Junior Paulo
9 Danny Levi
10 Martin Taupau
11 Jeremiah Nanai
12 Luciano Leilua
13 Josh Aloiai

14 Hamish-Tabuai Fidow
15 Josh Papali'i
16 Jayd'n Sua
17 Josh Shuster
If Samoa can field that team they should win the world cup.
A mobile forward pack that will give the spine all kinds of room to move and outside backs that can score tries in thier sleep.

Smug Panther

First Grade
1 Joseph Suaali'i
2 Murray Taulagi
3 Izack Tago
4 Stephen Crichton
5 Brian To'o
6 Jarome Luai
7 Anthony Milford
8 Junior Paulo
9 Danny Levi
10 Martin Taupau
11 Jeremiah Nanai
12 Luciano Leilua
13 Josh Aloiai

14 Hamish-Tabuai Fidow
15 Josh Papali'i
16 Jayd'n Sua
17 Josh Shuster
Staines will be fullback or wing. Taulagi out

Iamback

Coach
The issue still is halves for the island teams. Not sure they handle the damp English grounds

taste2taste

Juniors
The issue still is halves for the island teams. Not sure they handle the damp English grounds
We'll have to agree to disagree. I think a Somaon spine of Laui, Milford and Suaalii behind that forward pack will carve up all other competitors.

Can't wait until later in the year to find out.

Iamback

Coach
We'll have to agree to disagree. I think a Somaon spine of Laui, Milford and Suaalii behind that forward pack will carve up all other competitors.

Can't wait until later in the year to find out.

If it was down here they 100% would

Given you will grind out wins it rules them out of winning it but will be great footy played