What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian Kangaroos.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Because most Australians arent interested in International competition or the Kanagroos and cant see beyond their own state maybe?

Well I intend keeping this thread alive for those interested. After all the Australian Kangaroos have an enviable international record and a mouth watering World Cup record, winning 11 of the 15 contested.

The Kangaroos legend had its origins in December, 1908 in London, England when they tied their first-ever Test status match against the Northern Union 22-all in front of a crowd of 2,000. Such was the interest engendered from that match that the the Second Test in Newcastle in January, 1909 attracted a crowd of 22,000 which the English side won 15–5 likewise in the The Third Test in Birmingham defeating the Kangaroos 6–5. It was at series end the Australian Rugby League suggested that future series between the two nations be named 'The Ashes' after the cricket series of the same name.

Last edited:
The First Rugby League World Cup was surprisingly held in France in 1954. For almost two decades the then President of the French Rugby League, Paul Barriere had lobbied the IRL to hold a competition to officially determine the best rugby league nation. As reward for hosting the inaugural World Cup the winner is today awarded the Paul Barrière Trophy.

The inaugural 1954 Rugby League World Cup, played in Paris om Nov 13 was not won by the hosts as Britain too the honors. Australia proudly hosted the second WC three years later with the Kangaroos bringing in a home town victory while the next WC in 1960, was held in England with the hosts winning for the second time. Yet, despite a home nation victory the World Cup suffered from poor crowds due to the live broadcast of games for the first time.

After a disappointing attendances in 1960, the World Cup would not be played for another eight years. The competition had been scheduled to be held in France in 1965, this time with the inclusion of the South African team. However, after an unsuccessful tour of Australia, the French withdrew, effectively postponing the tournament until 1968, when Australia and New Zealand hosted and the World Cup Final made a return.

The World Cup found more success in the 70s with four tournaments played. The first, the 1972 World Cup where the final was contested between GB and Australia ended 10-all, with the title was awarded to GB by virtue of their superior record in the qualifiers. GB were captained by Welshman Clive Sullivan who was the first black player to captain any British national sports team. The final
Another three years would pass until the next World Cup in 1960, this time held in England. It would be the second time Great Britain won the competition. Despite a home nation victory the World Cup suffered from poor crowds due to the live broadcast of games for the first time.

1995 was the birth of the modern WC with the competition restructured, returning to the traditional 'host' format with ten teams entering. Unlike previous tournaments where the top two teams in the table playing in the final, a knockout stage was added with a quarter and semi final. New teams competing included Fiji, Tonga, Samoa and South Africa.

The tournament, which was also held to celebrate the centenary of the sport in England, was highly successful with over 250,000 people attending the group stages and over 66,000 people attending the final to see Australia defeat England 16–8.

Following the success of 95’ plans were drawn up to have a World Cup every three years rather than the sporadic staging of the competition in the past. However, the Super League war and the subsequent re-structuring of rugby league's international governing bodies meant that the proposed 1998 World Cup was postponed.

It wouldn’t be until 2000 when the World Cup returned with an expanded field of sixteen teams . This tournament included a New Zealand Maori representative team, the only time this team has taken part. However numerous issues including poor organization and blown-out scorelines meant that this tournament was seen as highly unsuccessful with an average attendance just half that of the previous tournament. Due to these problems the competition was put on indefinite hiatus. Australia won the tournament by beating New Zealand 40–12 in the final at Old Trafford, Manchester. In the same year, the first Women's Rugby League World Cup was held with GB falling to the Kiwis.

Last edited:
Now for a rant. When was the last time our players slipped on the iconic Kangaroo jumper. Seems like an age.. before the Pandemic? The annual Anzac Day Test has gone the way of the dinosaur so now it is not looking good for the green and golds to play a match before the WC. Now while our Oceania neibors and WC opponents, NZ, Samoa, Tonga are having valuable warm up games, Australia's best will instead be bashing each other in the annual 'hate fest' we call the SOO.

Last edited:
The Kangaroos have played 3 games since the 2017 world cup, winning 1 and losing 2.

As a Kiwi, I am thoroughly rubbing my hands together.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Now for a rant. When was the last time our players slipped on the iconic Kangaroo jumper. Seems like an age.. before the Pandemic? The annual Anzac Day Test has gone the way of the dinosaur so now it is not looking good for the green and golds to play a match before the WC. Now while our Oceania neibors and WC opponents, NZ, Samoa, Tonga are having valuable warm up games, Australia's best will instead be bashing each other in the annual 'hate fest' we call the SOO.
Last time they played a warm up game to a sold out crowd in Perth on the way to England. Be nice if they did the same again but they didn't bring the GF forward so probably not enough time now.
RLWC KO's 15th October and GF is 2nd October. I suppose if they wanted to give the non GF players a run they could still play NZ in Perth on Friday 7th, fly out to UK on the Sunday and have 5 days to acclimatise over there.

PARRA_FAN

Coach

Seems like a while and I get we couldnt organise anything during these times, but even before that, there's been a lack of test matches. I think it was about 4 tests in 2 years, 2018 and 2019 which is quite low compared to other years where we had Tri nations, Ashes, mid and end of year matches against NZ.

I feel like its that "cant be bothered attitude" which is unfortunate because I'm sure so many players would love to put on a green and old.

Im concerned about the youngsters coming through that are eligible for other tier one nations, that might not get to play International footy as much as others because they could be roped into playing Origin and barely play for Australia.

jim_57

Staff member
Seems like a while and I get we couldnt organise anything during these times, but even before that, there's been a lack of test matches. I think it was about 4 tests in 2 years, 2018 and 2019 which is quite low compared to other years where we had Tri nations, Ashes, mid and end of year matches against NZ.

I feel like its that "cant be bothered attitude" which is unfortunate because I'm sure so many players would love to put on a green and old.

Im concerned about the youngsters coming through that are eligible for other tier one nations, that might not get to play International footy as much as others because they could be roped into playing Origin and barely play for Australia.

Origin eligibility being linked to national eligibility should be ditched completely for all nations. It already has been ditched for tier 2 nations so just get rid of it for NZ & England as well.

If a player is eligible for Queensland or NSW under current rules (born or moved before 12) let them play Origin then for whoever they like in Internationals.

NZ in particular is at a big disadvantage with this. Picking Origin and Tonga/Samoa will pay better than declaring for NZ.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Origin eligibility being linked to national eligibility should be ditched completely for all nations. It already has been ditched for tier 2 nations so just get rid of it for NZ & England as well.

If a player is eligible for Queensland or NSW under current rules (born or moved before 12) let them play Origin then for whoever they like in Internationals.

NZ in particular is at a big disadvantage with this. Picking Origin and Tonga/Samoa will pay better than declaring for NZ.
Samoans and Tongans shouldn't be allowed to play SOO, allowing Poms and Kiwis on top would murder it, and that wouldn't be good for anyone. The coaches and players that want to have their cake and eat it too need to be told to f**k off.

We have to stop trying to cut corners with international RL, it's not good for the sport in the long run.

jim_57

Staff member
Samoans and Tongans shouldn't be allowed to play SOO, allowing Poms and Kiwis on top would murder it, and that wouldn't be good for anyone. The coaches and players that want to have their cake and eat it too need to be told to f**k off.

We have to stop trying to cut corners with international RL, it's not good for the sport in
Only ones who are still eligible under current rules, not Sam Burgess or Shaun Johnson. If someone moves to QLD/NSW before the age of 12 but still considers themselves Kiwi or Pom I have no issue with it and I doubt all that many people would any more. They’ve lived in Queensland or NSW long enough to represent the state without having to recite Waltzing Matilda to prove their eligibility.

Astoundingly, Australia has not made an Ashes Kangaroo tour since 2003. So much of the Kangaroos legend was built on Ashes tours to England to take on the British Lions with at least 40 made since the inaugural tour of 1908. Britain dominated the early decades but since 1948 they have won only 7 to Australia's 21. The Roos have been undefeated since 1970. Only seven wins and mostly playing against home crowds is an abysmal record. The last time the Ashes was played on our home soil was 1992. Time that was changed.

Last edited:

Latest posts