What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian Rugby League Commission buys iconic hotel and restaurant

Perth Red

Post Whore

Iamback

Coach
Thats when it went on sale, doesn't say when it was bought, I doubt NRL bought it 3 years ago and forgot to tell anyone, including their accountants!

The sale likely only just would of gone through. Sale would of been put on hold with Covid

Perth Red

Post Whore
The sale likely only just would of gone through. Sale would of been put on hold with Covid
Or is it more likely they took it off the market as couldnt get what they wanted and with the surplus last year the ARLC decided it was a good time to spend some of it on an asset and went shopping? We'd have heard about it before now given the leaks at NRLHQ if its been sitting there since 2019.

Iamback

Coach
Or is it more likely they took it off the market as couldnt get what they wanted and with the surplus last year the ARLC decided it was a good time to spend some of it on an asset and went shopping? We'd have heard about it before now given the leaks at NRLHQ if its been sitting there since 2019.

2019 - they took offers. Then taken off the market.
why would there be leaks if there is nothing to buy?

Perth Red

Post Whore
2019 - they took offers. Then taken off the market.
why would there be leaks if there is nothing to buy?
come on you know as well as I do that if the NRL had made in offer on it in 2019 that it would have likely been heard about by now. The place has more holes than the titanic when it comes to news leaking. 3 years to keep a secret in the NRL? yeh, nah.
More likely it was taken off market becuase bids were low, covid hit, NRl kept an interest then end of last year when surplus was realized and NRL had confidence again so they put in a offer acceptable to the sellers and the deal was done. Maybe not but that is a more likely scenario.
Anyway doesn't really matter, deal is done and good to see NRL finally diversifying its revenue base and building some assets for rainy days.

Wb1234

Referee

Well given Abdo wasn't in his role in Oct 2019 when expressions of interests were closed for this hotel... I would say no it wasn't him either.

These sort of things don't just happen overnight
Nah if the eoi closed back then that means they couldn’t find a buyer near the price they wanted

there is no way the arlc was negotiating this for 3 years

Iamback

Coach
Nah if the eoi closed back then that means they couldn’t find a buyer near the price they wanted

there is no way the arlc was negotiating this for 3 years

Covid would of scared off buyers too. Regardless it would of been a lengthy process

T-Boon

Coach
I reckon the NRL should buy central coast stadium. I don't know why.
But it would be cheap and it could be used as a training base for the Blues, take women's state of origin there.

seanoff

Juniors

weedler having a huge rant about this

according to the arlc sources it’s showing a yield of ten percent which is excellent
so who is going to run it? A management company? The NRL?

The fact that one operator can get 10% out of a place, esp a restaurant, doesn’t mean someone else will.

And will people who are not from ipswich want to stay in the Alan Langer Room etc. they need to be super careful, you dont want alienate the vast majority of people who arent NRL tragics. If im visiting brisbane i probably might want to stay in the city, or Southbank

there a bunch of investments available that will get you 6%+ for doing SFA if you have the money. Office or Bunnings or Shopping precinct property trusts.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s a fair chunk of realestate near the water in a growing area. Purely as an investment, not such a bad idea. Might see more usage with the NRL owning it too.
Not sure a stadium that’s not being used is giving much annual roi. there’d be uproar in gosford if they ever tried to sell it for development and it’s reaching an age where it probably needs some serious cash spending on it. this one is a pass lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
so who is going to run it? A management company? The NRL?

The fact that one operator can get 10% out of a place, esp a restaurant, doesn’t mean someone else will.

And will people who are not from ipswich want to stay in the Alan Langer Room etc. they need to be super careful, you dont want alienate the vast majority of people who arent NRL tragics. If im visiting brisbane i probably might want to stay in the city, or Southbank

there a bunch of investments available that will get you 6%+ for doing SFA if you have the money. Office or Bunnings or Shopping precinct property trusts.
Presumably a management company or the current owners, though it sounded like they were just going to carry on running the restaurant. as long as they didn’t pay too much for the business side they should still do ok just on the property value, presuming these interest rates rises dont destroy the market Of course.