What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian Team selections???

Y2Eel

First Grade
joel caine number 1 fan said:
dont count on that as long as Farah is a tiger i doubt he will get any chance

want proof 8 broncos selected after they won the grand final and last year we had prince and hodgson (i think) and prince only played 1 game

He'll be a bulldog when he's turn comes :D

Y2Eel

First Grade
Disco said:
Hayne and Hunt out

Price and Hoffman in

that would make a better balanced squad

I'll fix that up a little

Hayne and Lyon out

Price and Hoffman in

Disco

Bench
Lyon will start imo, due to his goalkicking

1.Hodges
2.King
3.Gasnier
4.Lyon (GK)
5.Inglis
6.Lockyer (C)
7.Thurston
8.Civenocieva
9.Smith
10.O'Meley
11.Hindmarsh
12.Mason
13.O'Donnell

14.Berrigan
15.Kite
16.Thaiday
17.Carroll/Ryan

league chick

Juniors
Smith should be fit apparently. Hodges may not play so take that into consideration. if Hodges doesn't play Hunt MUST be in that squad. I'd put Hunt in even if Hodges is fit, i'd have a backline of:
1. Hunt
2. Tate
3. Gasnier
4. Hodges
5. Inglis.

Hodges, Hunt and Inglis can swap around. And Hodges, Hunt, Tate and Lockyer have an incredible understanding of each others game. And i don't rate King so he gets left out.

If HOdges is out Inglis to centre King to wing.

league chick said:
Smith should be fit apparently. Hodges may not play so take that into consideration. if Hodges doesn't play Hunt MUST be in that squad. I'd put Hunt in even if Hodges is fit, i'd have a backline of:
1. Hunt
2. Tate
3. Gasnier
4. Hodges
5. Inglis.

Hodges, Hunt and Inglis can swap around. And Hodges, Hunt, Tate and Lockyer have an incredible understanding of each others game. And i don't rate King so he gets left out.

If HOdges is out Inglis to centre King to wing.

No.... Hunt should be no where near the squad, & should not be in a team ahead of players like King, Inglis,tate,or Hodges

Please tell me what Hunt does other than run off locky, who can make any player can look good. He rarely breaks the line,or sets up atry, or scores his own, has no kicking game.Just spends most of his time on the field mouthing off... he will be found out as a pretender when locky is out injured or when he retires. ...... Look at the game against the dogs.....down 20-6 with him at fullback.... Hodges takes over in the 2nd half & gets the broncos rolling with a great line break..score 37-20

league chick

Juniors
dazza62 said:
No.... Hunt should be no where near the squad, & should not be in a team ahead of players like King, Inglis,tate,or Hodges

Please tell me what Hunt does other than run off locky, who can make any player can look good. He rarely breaks the line,or sets up atry, or scores his own, has no kicking game.Just spends most of his time on the field mouthing off... he will be found out as a pretender when locky is out injured or when he retires. ...... Look at the game against the dogs.....down 20-6 with him at fullback.... Hodges takes over in the 2nd half & gets the broncos rolling with a great line break..score 37-20

Haha god i love Hunt haters. He didn't have the best of games against the Bulldogs. Without him on Saturday night the Broncos would have be gone. 3 try saving tackles, and without his "mouthing off" Broncos wouldn't have been there. Take the Dragons for example there was no-one talking in that game and the broncos were absolute crap. Then the Knights game the talk started coming, he was geeing the broncos up, scored a try and played a part in Tates. The Dogs game he was the one talking again. If a player stuffs up Hunt will run in give em tap tell em not to worry about it then turn to the team and will yell something like "one set, just defend hard for one set". And if you haven't noticed Hodges is a ball runner, while Hunt is a play maker. Majority of Hunt's kick returns were better than Hodges during the Dogs game, some 30 m, plus he'll use everything he's got to get a cople extra metres.

Hodges can play fullback but i'd take HUnt there anyday. Under the high ball, Hunt's faultered in one game this year, the only 2 balls he's dropped this year. He's as safe as a house, what about the one he took against the Dogs, no-one was game to go near it, Hodges backed off, Hunt came running in off the wing and caught it in motion and beat the first line of defensive. he mightn't be all razzle-dazzle like Hodges is but he's strong and a real team player. He was willing to play on the wing even if it did cost him a test spot. He had a damn good game in the GF. Organised the centres, that's how Inglis got put into touch, that's how they saved many tries out that side. The communication he brings to a team is unreal, and it's what is needed from a Fullback.

league chick said:
And if you haven't noticed Hodges is a ball runner, while Hunt is a play maker.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know what your definition of playmaker is ,but mine is someone like Locky,thurston,bowen,sherwin,Head Cronk,etc.........
players that can set up tries.,players that can kick,short, long,bombs,20/40s,chip kicks,grubbers...PLAYS that result in tries..... hunt has no kicking game ,so how do you class him as a playmaker.. ?????

I didn't see Mr Playmaker setting up too many tries from fullback against the dogs.. They were shot ducks till Hodges went to fullback & set up the try that started the comeback..... If Bennet had not swapped Hodges & Hunt.there is a good chance it could have been a dogs v storm GF

He is in my view the most overrated player in the comp.... he is probably the 3rd best fullback at the broncos,behind Hodges & Boyd.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
league chick, you should meet lockyno1, i can imagine the convo... "HUNT HUNT HUNT haurie HUNT HUNT etc. " great fit you 2 are :sarcasm:

Y2Eel

First Grade
Disco said:

1.Hodges
2.King
3.Gasnier
4.Lyon (GK)
5.Inglis
6.Lockyer (C)
7.Thurston
8.Civenocieva
9.Smith
10.O'Meley
11.Hindmarsh
12.Mason
13.O'Donnell

14.Berrigan
15.Kite
16.Thaiday
17.Carroll/Ryan

Lyon wont even be available for the first match... and smith isnt available for the first one....

Calixte

First Grade
A disgraceful decision Billy Slater not being selected.

On past experience, players who play that well in Grand Finals get picked in the top 23 players in the country.

Take out the refereeing errors involving Slater (the number of which was astonishing) - the wrong call on the strip, wrong call down the right touchline when a second movement put his foot over the sideline after he beat two defenders in a foot of space (watch it again if you don't believe me), the knockdown off his pass to Geyer in the second half which wrongly went to Brisbane's feed, high tackle well after an unpenalised shpeherd - and he had an absolutely scintillating game and was unlucky to miss out on man of the match in a losing side.

He made one genuine error - not taking a player in defence in the Hodges try - but was one of a number of players making defensive errors in that play.

IMO in the top five attacking players in the competition - easily. Very safe under the high ball, excellent cover defender with exceptional pace.

I have no allegiance to Slater or Melbourne by the way. His suspensions may have cost him a spot but his Grand Final form should have seen him in the team.

Disco

Bench
Y2Eel said:
Lyon wont even be available for the first match... and smith isnt available for the first one....
Sorry, i didn't realise the tri-nations consisted of only the first match:roll:

I'm talking about our top side for the series

Y2Eel

First Grade
Disco said:
Sorry, i didn't realise the tri-nations consisted of only the first match:roll:

I'm talking about our top side for the series

Alright then Lyon shouldnt be there at all then;-)

colonel_123

Juniors
Calixte said:
A disgraceful decision Billy Slater not being selected.

On past experience, players who play that well in Grand Finals get picked in the top 23 players in the country.

Take out the refereeing errors involving Slater (the number of which was astonishing) - the wrong call on the strip, wrong call down the right touchline when a second movement put his foot over the sideline after he beat two defenders in a foot of space (watch it again if you don't believe me), the knockdown off his pass to Geyer in the second half which wrongly went to Brisbane's feed, high tackle well after an unpenalised shpeherd - and he had an absolutely scintillating game and was unlucky to miss out on man of the match in a losing side.

He made one genuine error - not taking a player in defence in the Hodges try - but was one of a number of players making defensive errors in that play.

IMO in the top five attacking players in the competition - easily. Very safe under the high ball, excellent cover defender with exceptional pace.

I have no allegiance to Slater or Melbourne by the way. His suspensions may have cost him a spot but his Grand Final form should have seen him in the team.

Two players from last years grandfinal, Prince and O'Donnell, were selected in the tri-nations squad last year.

As for Slater, I'd have had him ahead of Hayne, who's still only played half a season of football.

But given that Hayne is in the side, look at how many backs they'd already selected: Hornby, Hodges, Gasnier, Hunt, Tate, King, Hayne, Lyon, Thurston and Lockyer plus Berrigan can play centre when Smith is at hooker.

Our BEST team for the Tri Nations Series IMO.

1. Justin Hodges
2. Matt King
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Mark Gasnier
5. Greg Inglis
6. Darren Lockyer (c)
7. Johnathon Thurston
8. Mark O Meley
9. Cameron Smith
10. Petero Civonaceva
11. Willie Mason
12. Nathan Hindmarsh
13. Luke O Donnell

14. Shaun Berrigan
15. Brent Kite
16. Sam Thaiday
17. Reni Maitua

league chick

Juniors
dazza62 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know what your definition of playmaker is ,but mine is someone like Locky,thurston,bowen,sherwin,Head Cronk,etc.........
players that can set up tries.,players that can kick,short, long,bombs,20/40s,chip kicks,grubbers...PLAYS that result in tries..... hunt has no kicking game ,so how do you class him as a playmaker.. ?????

I didn't see Mr Playmaker setting up too many tries from fullback against the dogs.. They were shot ducks till Hodges went to fullback & set up the try that started the comeback..... If Bennet had not swapped Hodges & Hunt.there is a good chance it could have been a dogs v storm GF

He is in my view the most overrated player in the comp.... he is probably the 3rd best fullback at the broncos,behind Hodges & Boyd.

He isn't a fully developed Play Maker yet, he's on the way to being one. He usually sets up at least a try a match and has a hand in most of them. Funny that he doesn't have a kicking game, he doesn't need one because we have Lockyer, Perry and Berrigan. He's kicked a few times and most have been alright kicks.

He had a crap game against, everyone has one. Go back and check the tape against the Knights and check out how much he played a part in that. He's Locky's go to man, He takes an enourmous amount of pressure of Lockyer. When he got Injured you could tell Lockyer was missing something, so was the team. An incredible team player. he was willing to for go the FB position if it was best for the team, even if it cost him his test spot.

Bennett was always going to swap Hunt and Hodges anyway, there was no chance of it not happening. It was probably in Bennett's bag of tricks for him to have a quite half, who'd know. He stepped up in the big one, he should have been back at FB for the last 15 at least - Hodges was offering nothing.]

If you want an Overrated player, take a stab and SBW. Plays what so little games per year you can count them on one hand. Pulls of one decent shoulder charge and is suddenly the new god. Often has a case of the droppsies and gets paid an enourmous amount to sit on the side lines injured most of the year.

He isn't the third best fullback. Boyd doesn't offer enough from the back, doesn't inject himself near enough. He was dead set crap when Hunt got injured, absolutly poor. Hodges is average. Fairly good running the ball back, but has a real weakness under the high ball. You can't be a FB if your afraid to get under a screamer. Remember the Screamer the Dogs put up, Hodges stepped back from it, Perry wasn't game to go near it, Hunt came running in from his wing and caught it pretty much on the fly and almost broke through the line after it. His kick returns are strong, puts his body on the line, doesn't care how much he gets bashed, just gets up and plays the ball like nothing happend.

icewind

Juniors
Disco said:

1.Hodges
2.King
3.Gasnier
4.Lyon (GK)
5.Inglis
6.Lockyer (C)
7.Thurston
8.Civenocieva
9.Smith
10.O'Meley
11.Hindmarsh
12.Mason
13.O'Donnell

14.Berrigan
15.Kite
16.Thaiday
17.Carroll/Ryan

rofl! picked cos of his goalkicking? Ever heard of Thurston? Lockyer? Smith? Hell, even Inglis can kick. Some people seem to be having a hard on for Lyon.

anyway my thoughts based on injury to carroll:

1. Hunt
2. Tate
3. Hodges
4. Inglis
5. King
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston
8. Civeniceva
9. Smith
10.O'Meley
11.Mason