What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia's Coach

littlelady

Juniors
I am new to Rugby League and have been wondering why the coach of the National Team is Chris Anderson?

His team has not been a performing team for a few years now so I don't understand how he would be selected to coach an international side.

Why isn't the coach of one of the top 4 teams, or the Origin teams chosen.

~bedsy~

First Grade
His been the Aussie coach for as long as I can remember... being that I haven't really followed the Aussie side for that long. So maybe they want to stay loyal to him or something.
I think it's time they got a new one.

antonius

Coach
Chris Anderson is starting to get a bit of a smell about him. It started with his undying loyalty/admiration whatever you want to call it for Brett Kimmorley, and thus the decline of Preston Cambell at the Sharks. It has continued with what appears to be his vindictive attitude towards anybody who disagrees with him or gets in the way of what he wants. The personnel that have departed the Sharks in recent years due to falling out with him is an embarrassment to him and the Sharks, particularly in Cambells case where the guy has gone to Penrith and become an instant success once again, whilst Anderson’s grand plan/rebuilding/cleaning out at Cronulla has seen them slide further down the ladder. Anderson is rapidly losing his credibility IMO. It’ll be interesting to see who is selected in the first test side in England, especially at Halfback, any reasonable fan would say Gower would be a walk up start. But with Anderson selecting the Team don't be surprised to see Kimmorley there. Time for him to be replaced I think.

Alex28

Coach
This tour will be the downfall of Chris Anderson. It will highlight the obvious bias he has towards players and that he can not objectively select a team on form - remember that word Chris - thats why your club team is going so awfuly.

When Willie Mason and Brett Kimmorley - 2 of the most disappointing players from this years competition, are selected in the starting 17 for the Kangaroos, it show his true colours.

I almost hope they get beaten...almost.

To answer the original question, the Australian coaching position is basically shared around between the elite coaches every 4 years or so. About the same time as a captain is around for. Its basically a reward for a job well done in developing players for the game, its rarely got anything to do with how the guy's team went during the year.

Anderson himself has won premierships before, his job in Melbourne was extraordinary when you think about it. He then took the Sharks within a game of the Grand Final last year before heart troubles seemed to get the best of him. Maybe there's something in the medication, but drama seems to just draw itself towards the guy.

I for one don't really blame him for selecting who he has. He needs an experienced guy to play half-back and the lack of playing talent to call on really allows him to use the guy he has got the job done with in the past. Its not the ideal situation, and we'll soon find out if it works, but if he'd have taken Sherwin or Campbell with Gower, you'd have a pretty inexperienced half & 5/8 combination.

Rusty

Juniors
Chris Anderson is an embarassment to league,Gower deserved to be named at halfback and everybody knows it.Kimmorley can't even perform at club level let alone for his country.
Any suggestions for candidates as the new Aussie coach?
It's only a matter of time before he is forced to quit.
How can a coach not be able to tell an inform player to an out-of-form player? If ordinary people can, why cant "coaches"?
:shock: :oops: :?

Anderson wasn't the only selector. Bag Kimmorley all you want, but the guy has done it before and will probably love this chance to shove it up some people.

Rusty

Juniors
Bag Kimmorley all you want, but the guy has done it before and will probably love this chance to shove it up some people.
Of course he's done it before the last time Joey was injured,but we all know how he got there.For the sake of Australia,I hope we win :D
We wouldn't want anymore embarassments.

Alex28

Coach
what about:

5/8 - Wing
Half - Gower

both in form. both used to the positions.

thats right...they play for the wrong clubs...

he is a joke.

knights57au

Juniors
antonius said:
It started with his undying loyalty/admiration whatever you want to call it for Brett Kimmorley,

Another way to put it is

"It started with his un-rivaled love with Brett Kimmorley" :lol:

If Kimmorley is in the run on side on saturday week, run on or bench, it will prove how much Chris Anderson is willing to do for his favourite (completely useless player) and how little he respects the Australian Jersey. Because unless the selectors were still recovering from the grand final celebrations and were a bit drunk, Chris Anderson is the only way Kimmorley got selected.

~bedsy~

First Grade
Alex28 said:
what about:

5/8 - Wing
Half - Gower
How about NO WAY!
Craig is a great utility player for the Aussies and NSW... presto should be our 5/8, with Gower at half and Buderus at hooker... People already are saying that Gower will be at hooker with Buderus coming off the bench as Ando wants Noddy to always be that half starter.
Wing should be coming off the bench to replace our half, hooker and 5/8 when they are tired... I totally dissagree with him being our starting 5/8.

Sunday Telegraph today says that Stuart is waitng in the wings to take over as National coach after the roos tour but the powerbrokers are sworn to secrecy
164 days of pain for the roosters :roll:

northey

First Grade
hey don't say that about one of the origin coaches being the aust coach i would not be able to stand it if gus was the coach

Razor

Coach
Phil Gould should be Australia's coach.

The coach should NOT also coach a club side. Make it a full-time position and do development work whilst they aren't coaching.

Gould is the best coach in the game, despite what some people say.

CoastieChik

Juniors
Sorry - but I refuse to accept that goose gould is the best coach! :x

I don't really think there's a need for the Aust. coach to have no club coaching commitments - though I do like the idea of further development work (focused on the up and coming juniors), which perhaps could not take place during the season if the coach was to have a club team.

I hope for Anderson's sake, well at least that of his credibility, that Gower is rightfully chosen at halfback. On form this would be the obvious choice, and with the mass of talent the Aust. team posseses (even be it a very depleted one!) Kimmorley's experience needn't be a contributing factor (esp. as Gower also has experience!)! Kimmorley may LOVE the chance to 'shove it up some people', but I don't think he DESERVES it!!

Personally I wouldn't mind to see Wing at 6 (Campbell should be there with the absentee list, but the idiots didn't pick him!), with Gower at half and Bedsy the hooker.

Northey - you make a very good point!! O:)

Having Gould as coach would not be dis-similarly biased to having Anderson as coach! :roll:

However, being a country mile in front of (most) other league countries, the depth of talent we posess allows us to compensate for having a knob as a coach!

mrford61

Juniors
I am not all together sure of the selection process for players but you would think current form would be paramount. Surely a coach cant over-ride the selectors????. Having said that I guess Noddy could only perform on the platform provided by his forwards all year and probably not a reflection on what he can do behind the awesome forward talent available to the selectors. I know Preston is a popular crowd favourite and I think he is a legend but I just think his defence is not "Kangaroo" level. Not through lack of heart, he threw himself at vry tackle that came his way in the GF but a lot got through him, he,s just so light.

Doctor

Bench
Ch 7 news this morning reported that Chris Anderson has been "Banned from Training" - work that out.

Not sure whether this means he is banned from Sharks training, or banned from his own fitness training - but he was introduced as "Sharks coach Chris Anderson". Any ideas anyone?

As for the wole Kimmorley & Anderson thing - it's been going on for far too long, and until now I've just put it down to his wish for a familiar side to work with. But Gower's performance this season has been top-notch, and Kimmorley's has been average at best. Why then is an experienced player being threatened by another experienced player, just because it seems the coach likes one but not so much the other?

Wing and Cambell deserve a chance at 5/8, Buderus at Hooker - of course that won't happen because Cambell was overlooked, and Anderson has already decided that he likes Kimmorley as his halfback option.

Kimmorley is a good player, but you have to reach a point where you reward form with a representative position - at the moment that isn't happening.

Pierce is just about to sack him from the Sharks. I doubt he'll be around at Christmas. I met up with Paul Franze the week before last and caught up on times past. He said its a tedious situation with Anderson and the board at the moment, he had no idea which way it would go, but judging by last week's developments I'd say he's a goner.

antonius

Coach
The sooner Anderson exits the sharks the better it’ll be for them. It has got to the point of no return, if Anderson stays there they will have another negative season, there is no way they are going to be able to repair relationships between him and the club, it’s gone too far. The only reason he’s lasted this long is the dollar factor, the club have to weigh that up against another poor season, they have no choice IMO.