What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Autumn European Internationals

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Kick off on the 20th of October with France vs Wales in Lens - the wild, soccer-loving largely rugby devoid region of northeast France. This partnership with Lens FC will be a bellweather and if it is deemed a success may lead to further collaboration between league and soccer in France to become the platform of the touted professional competition.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xt...galles-lens-stade-f-bollaert-20-10-2012_sport

file.php

clarency

Juniors
Just to clarify, is this the lead in to another event?

I don't think it's wise to be playing in such a large venue when such a small(er) crowd is expected.

Why assume they expect a small crowd? Maybe they think they'll get 20k.

Clearly the point is this is part of the burgeoning relationship between RC Lens and the FFRXIII. Whether they get 5k in a 40k stadium in Lens or 10k in a stadium down south is of relatively little significance in the long run. Building this relationship with Lens, and potentially other soccer clubs, is far more important.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
We have no idea how it will go, hopefully the Nice Soccer fella who runs Lens FC has a bit of profile and hypes it up a bit.

I hope they get a big crowd, but I have a feeling it'll get around 10k which would be ok.

VictoryFC

Bench
One thing I dont understand about this is that Lens is a pretty small city. It just seems odd. Yes its a part of a bigger metro area (250k), but its kind of like hosting a Test in Bathurst. I would have thought Lille, which is in the same part of France, would have been a better bet.

Getting 10k for a Test match in Lens would be an outstanding achievement considering how small the city is.

Heritage XIII

Juniors
I don't see the negativity of taking the game to Lens. The magic weekend at 'heartland' club Lezignan got only 3,000 people total over the weekend for 5 games! The village mentality of French league is consigning the game to minnow status.

Gambass

Juniors
One thing I dont understand about this is that Lens is a pretty small city. It just seems odd. Yes its a part of a bigger metro area (250k), but its kind of like hosting a Test in Bathurst. I would have thought Lille, which is in the same part of France, would have been a better bet.

Getting 10k for a Test match in Lens would be an outstanding achievement considering how small the city is.

I guess that being such a small city, you can more easely make an event of it in Lens than in Lille. It's not like if the city holds international sport match everyday. For instance the november RU Test match against Argentina will be held in Lille.

Going north, Valenciennes and his new football stadium (Stade du Hainault - 25K), would possibly have been a better option. But at least, in Lens, you have someone who is dedicated to promote the game.

Gambass

Juniors
lindependant.fr/2012/09/27/luc-dayan-20-000-a-bollaert,167741.php

The guy in Lens is hoping for a 20K crowd :shock:

The Lens championship match in Auxerre will be broadcast on the stadium's big screens just before the kick off (a very good move IMO)

Last edited:

Latest posts