What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Awful refereeing spoils it

Nz

Juniors
Fairleigh Good! said:
GB should complain officially about the video ref no try. That decision is absolutely appalling. Add to that the general indifference from Simpkins to all the Kiwi knock ons and ball steals (Like the one on Hock two metres from the line) and it gets very difficult to look at this game objectively. I've turned the thing off, GB wouldn't be allowed to score even if they did manage to put a play on.

The McGuire no-try was an absolutely clear ball steal. In a two man tackle Webb slapped the ball clean out of McGuire's grasp. The decision to give the scrum to New Zealand is incredible, the only decision that could possibly be given is the penalty for the ball steal in a two man tackle. McGuire didn't knock it on at all during the motion, the ball came out via Webb.

What about the 20 other opportunities you guys missed, shut up an actually play some Rugby league.

WJ

Juniors
Britain were screwed over by the ref. Besides the mcguire no try

when we pushed webb back into the in goal, his momentum never stopped and the ref give penalty?

Or early on, the kiwi players are pushing o'loughlin back so he offloads and he gives NZ penalty, how was the tackle completed when they were still pushing him back? P*ss poor, this also applies to the decision above, the webb tackle was never completed.

Numerous other ball steals went unoticed, plus morley so called high tackle wasnt even bad, first impact was on the chest. The kiwis need to harden up it's not tiddlywinks.

Hopefully morley will dish more of that out next week to that fat ugly mo fo mark o mealey.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Big Pete said:
To be honest although Webb attacked at the ball. I don't think I saw him make contact with it and McGuire just plumb lost it cold. Then again I could be wrong as I only had a passing glance at it.
Agree with you there, I couldn't be certain he definitely made contact with the ball either.
Big Pete said:
The more disgraceful call was the Soliola try.
Not sure about that one, looked fair enough to me, the GB player definitely hit the ball into Pritchard. Fair try.

WJ said:
Abd most likely, if gb were to find success with the international rules, the convicts would tweak them again to suit them.
Yep, the reason GB haven't won an international series in 35 years is because of the rules. :lol:

I personally thought GB squandered their opportunities through poor decision making, particularly from Senior and Gleeson. When the ball was spread wide (which wasn't all that often granted), they made some atrocious decisions. GB's last tackle kicking was below average, their control went out the window after 20 minutes or so (at which point they had a 60/40 advantage in possession, more than enough to have posted more than 2 points on the board) and several players looked decidely unfit (Fielden in particular). Wellens also needs to inject himself more and McGuire needs to demand the ball instead of waiting for the odd play here or there where Long needs to catch his breath.

Positives are the strong bench play from the rookies, Peacock's game and Morley will be better for the run (and shouldn't have any problems with that shot, there was nothing in that). They also defending strongly, allowing one try from a kick return (terrible attempted tackle by Carney), 1 lucky try and another where they had just been worn down after NZ had enjoyed a couple of repeat sets.

Bob8

Juniors
If I can be excuesed repeating myself, we can coomplain when we are good enough to beat the opposition nine times out of ten.

We are still very far from even coming close to that level. When the difference between us being the best in the world or not is the ref's call, then we can complain until then we have to concentrate on our own game.

That means promoting the game in the UK and getting more people playing the sport.

Blaze

Juniors
WJ said:
plus morley so called high tackle wasnt even bad, first impact was on the chest. The kiwis need to harden up it's not tiddlywinks.

How does the ref's decision to penalise Morely mean that NZ are soft?

Blaze

Juniors
btw Great Britan fans are worse than I thought.

absolute wankers.

Says a lot when you can't beat a team who don't even have a pro comp and are drawing on a pool of about 40 players in the NRL and 20 in the ESL.

Damn I love beating the whinging poms....it's almost as good as beating the arrogant aussies.

especially when we're missing the likes of:

Sonny Bill Williams
Benji Marshall
Jake Webster
Paul Whatuira
David Faiumu
Shontayne Hape
Lesley Vainikolo
Matt Utai
Steve Matai
David Solomona
Fuifui Moimoi
Jeremy Smith

And a bunch of other players who could of contributed last night.
Hopefully Hape & Matai are ok for the next game, and we get Adam Blair back in the side. I'd also like to see Ben Roberts get another shot.

WJ said:
Numerous other ball steals went unoticed, plus morley so called high tackle wasnt even bad, first impact was on the chest. The kiwis need to harden up it's not tiddlywinks.

ball steals from both sides that were that went un noticed.

and didn't wiki get straight back up its not wikis fault that the ref gave a penalty. in this series alone their has been three tackles lower than that (2 in the first, 1 in the second) that was given as a high tackle.

Micistm

Bench
I just think of Morleys little punch to Webb on the ground...wow, what courage, for a prop to hit a fullback on the ground. In his first game back after his NRL disgrace- Dirty player, dirty tactics, nothing to do with hardening up :p
What else can you say- Unfair calls go both ways in games, winners are grinner, you play to the whistle, and whinging about the Ref really looks like the Lemon Sucking Brigade when a team fluffs so many opportunities.

You'll have your chance to gloat in a couple of weeks once your team is 'battle hardened' after the Aussie game. Confidence is one thing, sheer arrogance is another- For what I'm talking about, check out last Weeks Rugby League Week where the Poms are big noting themselves. To talk the talk you walk the walk- Play well and you'll have just cause to blame the Ref. Otherwise, get over it. Have a nice day.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
Micistm said:
I just think of Morleys little punch to Webb on the ground...wow, what courage, for a prop to hit a fullback on the ground. In his first game back after his NRL disgrace- Dirty player, dirty tactics, nothing to do with hardening up :p
What else can you say- Unfair calls go both ways in games, winners are grinner, you play to the whistle, and whinging about the Ref really looks like the Lemon Sucking Brigade when a team fluffs so many opportunities.

You'll have your chance to gloat in a couple of weeks once your team is 'battle hardened' after the Aussie game. Confidence is one thing, sheer arrogance is another- For what I'm talking about, check out last Weeks Rugby League Week where the Poms are big noting themselves. To talk the talk you walk the walk- Play well and you'll have just cause to blame the Ref. Otherwise, get over it. Have a nice day.

To be fair to Noble and the players they didn't complain about the decision, they just acknowledged they need to improve to stand any chance from now on.

But from a fans perspective, the decision is still ridiculous and it gets worse everytime you watch it.

Micistm

Bench
Man...I admire your loyalty to your team dude, but bottom line is the GB team let themselves down. Decisions will go against your team from time to time, and it totally depends on your point of view. I'm looking through Kiwi eyes and the decisions were fine to me (And of course they would be!).
There have been times in the past official decisions have cost games, but if your team has not performed to it's ability it's hardly the officials fault. Personally, I thought the Ref kept a shocking 10m- Take that into account and the game might have opened up a bit and been totally different. It totally depends on your point of view, and I'll will always have Kiwi eyes, you'll have GB ones. And that's the way it should be.
For what it's worth I think GB will settle and be quite a force- And the closer the three teams are to each other, the better the series and International League will be. Great stuff.
...But then, I'm still heartbroken from the week earlier though! No complaints however, it was an excellent game

Big Pete

Referee
Yeah Tiger Hawk I just watched the replay and I could be wrong. I thought it came off a Kiwi player onto a Kiwi when I first watched it. Shows how out of it I was. :p

deluded pom?

Coach
What about G.B. on the attack and Kidwell climbs all over Maguire and doesn't get binned . I thought British refs were average but the Aussies (don't even mention the Kiwi refs ) aren't even that good .

deluded pom?

Coach
Blaze said:
btw Great Britan fans are worse than I thought.

absolute wankers.

Says a lot when you can't beat a team who don't even have a pro comp and are drawing on a pool of about 40 players in the NRL and 20 in the ESL.

Erm , does 24-0 ring any bells ? Against a team that doesn't even have a pro comp and are drawing on a pool of about 40 players in the NRL and 20 in the ESL . And in the final of a major competition ( waits for reply along the lines of "at least we got to the final " ).

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Micistm said:

Did you not see Webb elbow him in the face? I'm not specifically defending Morley, but he was provoked.

JJ

Immortal
don't worry, in 3 years Brent will be available for GB... so you'll have nothing to complain about

I'm sure Fien can come up with a relative's birth certificate too :sarcasm:

But seriously, having watched league since the late 70's it's very f**king rich for a Pom to complain about a stray elbow!

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
JJ said:
don't worry, in 3 years Brent will be available for GB... so you'll have nothing to complain about

I'm sure Fien can come up with a relative's birth certificate too :sarcasm:

But seriously, having watched league since the late 70's it's very f**king rich for a Pom to complain about a stray elbow!

If you're referring to my comment, I must inform you that I am not a Pom and am Australian and support Australia. As you were.

JJ

Immortal
Frank_Grimes said:
If you're referring to my comment, I must inform you that I am not a Pom and am Australian and support Australia. As you were.

I am a Kiwi and support the Kiwis - but am cringing at the moment :(

Latest posts