What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Awful refereeing spoils it

lockyno1

Post Whore
AuckMel said:
International rules state we should have neutral refs too......

I am all for that but Black or whoever was that NZ ref was average. I'd like to see it happen but it won't happen.

aussies1st

Staff member
I must be blind, I'm sure there was only one person in that tackle. That tackler was Webb who attempted the strip. Right call for me.

Lowey3

Juniors
aussies1st said:
I must be blind, I'm sure there was only one person in that tackle. That tackler was Webb who attempted the strip. Right call for me.

Watch it again.

A kiwi defender as hold of his leg, i think it was Jason Cayless.

As the match goes. Leon Pryce and James Roby where the best players on that pitch.

aussies1st

Staff member
Oh ok well the replays I saw I didn't catch that touch. Penalty if that was the case, definitely not a penalty try, we can't start awarding players for loose carries.

Lowey3

Juniors
aussies1st said:
Oh ok well the replays I saw I didn't catch that touch. Penalty if that was the case, definitely not a penalty try, we can't start awarding players for loose carries.

How the hell was it a loose carry ?

Fair enough if Webb struck the hand but he delibratory hit the ball out of Dannys hands. Thats not a loose carry, it's a player doing something his not allowed to.

It stoped a certain Try, i personally dont give a sh*t what dodgy rules you play to in the NRL. Where i come from and the way i've watched RUgby League for years, it's a penalty try!

aussies1st

Staff member
So it's fine if it was a 1 on 1 for Webb to do what he did but not ok if a player gets a extremely small minimal touch that had very minimal if any affect on what occured. Once again we see why the stripping rule is so crap.

fourplay

Juniors
Brent Webb knocked the ball out in a 2 man tackle then McGuire had downward pressure on it over the line as he fell on it. Just because the 1st man falls off its still a 2 man tackle, thats the official rule.

Simpkins always ruins a good game. The ref the last 2 games was hardly noticeable. Simpkins is an absolute ****. He puts Morely on report aswell the ***** spastic power tripper.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
Having watched the replay repeatedly on Sky+, it's a clear try, whether you rule penalty try or not.

Sky got the reverse angle and it shows clearly Webb slapping the ball clean out of McGuire's grasp, so no knock on, and then its grounded on the line.

Anyone know who the video referee was?

Lowey3

Juniors
aussies1st said:
So it's fine if it was a 1 on 1 for Webb to do what he did but not ok if a player gets a extremely small minimal touch that had very minimal if any affect on what occured. Once again we see why the stripping rule is so crap.

The fact is - You're allowed to strike the ball in a one on one tackle, however it is then play on. Danny Mcguire did ground the ball once it was knocked out.

There is no excuses. It was either a penalty try or just a plain Try, it was not a knock on!! it just cannot be a rule.

How on gods earth can you call a knock on when a player punches the ball out of grasp. Crazy!!

aussies1st

Staff member
Plain try yes I would agree, penalty try well we have different interpretations of that.

Lowey3 said:
Watch it again.

A kiwi defender as hold of his leg, i think it was Jason Cayless.

As the match goes. Leon Pryce and James Roby where the best players on that pitch.
jason fell off the tackle before webb got their. anyway the poms scored off a forward pass so its even

The Clan

Juniors
The international, NRL & SL ruling is:

Even if a defender has dropped off the tackle then it is still deemed to be a two man tackle if a second defender gets involved with the ball carrier.

In this case though the kiwis had two defenders in contact with the ball carrier.

A penalty try is awarded if, in the view of the officials, the ball carrier would have definitely scored had it not been for the illegal play of a defender.

McGuire is about 18inches above the in goal area and travelling forward with the ball in both hands.
Now unless there is some suspension of the laws of physics in NZ there is no way that McGuire would not have scored that try without Webbs hand hitting the ball.

Penalty try!

As stated earlier of you deem that webb has accidently made contact with the ball then you can't rule knock on, so play continues and McGuire grounds the ball.

Try!

How the hell did the Video ref get scrum down Head and feed to NZ?
Simpkins positioning is superb and he should not have needed to refer it to the VR

MKEB...

Staff member
Alright ,time to be pedantic. The two man stripping rule came in during the mid nineties around the super league advent. We are playing rugby league not super league...Adapt to it.
It was a loose carry, the ball was knocked out of his hands, it was hit, therefore the carrier was still the last person with control of the football.
During the NRL this year (and ESL) when this happens the fullback is generally applauded for the great play culminating in the no try.

Why are you Great Britain supporters changing your tune now? If it was the other way round I am sure you would be hailing Wellens for a fine save.

I think the ref was Simp(leton)kins. Whilst the video refs (two of them) were from Aus and NZ.

In general I thought the game was sh1t. Although I am glad we won.

WJ

Juniors
Gb showed they will be a threat to NZ tri nations title.

If gb had 2 games against the aussies then the kiwis played us in their first game, we would have thrashed them.

WJ

Juniors
deluded pom? said:
I think you'll find that International rules are usually the ones that the Aussies like to play to .

Abd most likely, if gb were to find success with the international rules, the convicts would tweak them again to suit them.

Big Pete

Referee
To be honest although Webb attacked at the ball. I don't think I saw him make contact with it and McGuire just plumb lost it cold. Then again I could be wrong as I only had a passing glance at it.

The more disgraceful call was the Soliola try.

Latest posts