What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ba-Changes no fuss

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
What ever side Arthur has coached since he started as a 22 year old have been a premiership force.

Give it two years with our juniors coming though I reckon we will be very very strong

Parraren

Bench
Yeah I do get the feeling BA is the sort of coach who has a very clear idea of what he wants from his footy team and how he wants to play.

I reckon he won't make many changes from here, but the ones he does will be spot on.

I'm really keen to see who he brings in from outside the club.

Delboy

First Grade
Not sure we have any room to buy stars, the cap was left in a mess by previous coaches...

BA has players that want to come to the Eels, but struggling to get room under the cap with so many over the top deals yet to expire.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Not sure we have any room to buy stars, the cap was left in a mess by previous coaches...

BA has players that want to come to the Eels, but struggling to get room under the cap with so many over the top deals yet to expire.

Kearneys and Nolans deals?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

lol

We're mid-table, with a young squad ready to be even better next year. Our salary cap is fine.

Those over the top deals are for our best and most important players. Would you rather Keating and Mortimer back? Should we have kept Shane Shackleton instead of bringing Lussick in?

At least with the young guys coming through we can have these quality overpaid first graders without having to surround them with overpaid reserve graders.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I know hoppa is pretty bloody good, but if there are 2-3 quality forwards that want to come to the eels , should we realise him to enable us to sign these forwards ?

This is assuming hoppa is on a massive back loaded contract

emjaycee

Coach
I know hoppa is pretty bloody good, but if there are 2-3 quality forwards that want to come to the eels , should we realise him to enable us to sign these forwards ?

This is assuming hoppa is on a massive back loaded contract

No.
Hoppa is 8 games back from 2 years out of the game and makes a rep team (and plays well in the rep game). He is getting back to his best and even though he isn't in the spine, he is a superstar and will be a match winner for us on more than one occasion. You want his class then you need to pay the price.

All of the successful teams have at least 2 "stars" in their side - we have Hayne and Hoppa.
When we just had Hayne we got 2 wooden spoons.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
No.
Hoppa is 8 games back from 2 years out of the game and makes a rep team (and plays well in the rep game). He is getting back to his best and even though he isn't in the spine, he is a superstar and will be a match winner for us on more than one occasion. You want his class then you need to pay the price.

All of the successful teams have at least 2 "stars" in their side - we have Hayne and Hoppa.
When we just had Hayne we got 2 wooden spoons.

I agree with your opinion of hoppa but you arent considering the forwards we could get in return.

I agree hoppa is a talent but let's say we could release him but pick up
Buher, sims, teo ( just an example )would it be worth it?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I agree with your opinion of hoppa but you arent considering the forwards we could get in return.

I agree hoppa is a talent but let's say we could release him but pick up
Buher, sims, teo ( just an example )would it be worth it?

It's always about getting the most talent for your money. For many (most?) roster slots you're probably better off going with a cheaper option even if he's not quite as good as the more expensive option.

It all comes down to cost-benefit. There's up to eight blokes in your top 25 that you hope never play. Every dollar above minimum salary they get is a dollar less you pay to the handful of players that have the biggest impact on your results. This also applies to the less important members of your top 17.

I reckon when Lussick and Allgood come off contract (next year) we're far better off keeping Allgood and losing Lussick than the other way around. This despite Lussick being the better player.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
It's always about getting the most talent for your money. For many (most?) roster slots you're probably better off going with a cheaper option even if he's not quite as good as the more expensive option.

It all comes down to cost-benefit. There's up to eight blokes in your top 25 that you hope never play. Every dollar above minimum salary they get is a dollar less you pay to the handful of players that have the biggest impact on your results. This also applies to the less important members of your top 17.

I reckon when Lussick and Allgood come off contract (next year) we're far better off keeping Allgood and losing Lussick than the other way around. This despite Lussick being the better player.

Yes agree

Depends what lussick is asking, he could be happy to accept what we would offer allgood. Amazing how a winning side can keep players.

natheel

Coach
With BA selecting Kelly earlier I don't think it was a 'mistake' he told Sandow to go and work on his game and he got Sandow to do that. Kelly was a temporary replacement till Sandow was right to take his jersey back

Casper The Ghost

First Grade

We've got a few crispy clean brown paper bags in our kitchen drawer, will that help to get these players before June 30th this year?

Latest posts