What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bai back to play - Gene Final game at home

Kumul

Juniors
Bai back to play
PAPUA New Guinea’s most successful rugby league player Marcus Bai will come out of retirement to play in the inaugural Telikom PNG Origin match on Saturday.
Bai, the only player in PNG to win premierships with Australia’s National Rugby League club Melbourne Storm in 1999 and English Super League club Leeds Rhinos, will appear for the International side against the Residents at the Lloyd Robson oval in Port Moresby.
Kumul coach Adrian Lam confirmed yesterday Bai had agreed to come out of retirement and play one more game before hanging up his boots forever.
Bai, who dropped the bombshell on his English club Bradford Bulls last year, told the PNG Rugby Football League it was something he, as a Papua New Guinean playing overseas, had dreamt of for a long time.
“I have to play in this game because it’s something I have been dreaming of for a long while,” Bai said.
“I have come out of retirement and have been training for this game,” said the 35-year-old from Ulamono village in West New Britain.
The Origin match will be spiced up with the match up between Bai and his prodigy Michael Mark and it should provide some excitement for the fans.
Papua New Guineans have been calling Michael Mark the new Marcus Bai so Saturday’s encounter between the veteran and the new kid on the block should be interesting.
Lam said another overseas based player and former Kumul, Tom O’Reilly has also put his hand up to play alongside Bai this weekend. O’Reilly who has been playing in France will arrive tomorrow with Bai to join the rest of the International players who are already in camp.
O’Reilly stole the hearts of many die-hard Kumul supporters when he scored two tries against Australian Prime Minister’s XIII last year which the Australians won 28-8.
However, Lam said Bai and O’Reilly would not be eligible for Kumul selection for the France and Wales tour.
But chairman of national selectors Arnold Krewanty told the Post-Courier late yesterday both Bai and O’Reilly were eligible to wear the famous gold, red and black jumper.
“Anybody that plays in that match on Saturday is eligible, for the Kumuls tour to France, they’re all eligible that’s all I can say,” Krewanty said.
The probable line-ups:
International (Yellow) – John Wilshere, Marcus Bai, Tu’u Maori, Steve Franciscus, George Keppa, Tom O’Reilly, Keith Peters, Mikali Aizue, Paul Aiton, Trevor Exton, James Nightingale, Alex McFarlane, Rod Griffin, Kevin Prio, Merv O’Flannigan, Daniel Tanswell, Tommy Butterfield, Stanley Gene, Adrian Lam (coach) and David Westley (trainer).
Residents (Reds) – Menzie Yere, Michael Mark, Gimapau Keimelo, Francis Ray, Eki Ene, Jessie Joe, Benjamin John, Nigel Hukula, Charlie Wabo, Rodney Pora, George Moni, Joseph Omai, Johnson Kuike, reserves Nicko Slain, Porian Bal, Nicko Slain, Larsen Marabe, Dusty Mockly, Michael Marum (coach) and Joe Walter (trainer).

Gene hopes for a final crack at home
TWO-time World Cup veteran Stanley Gene has hopes of a last chance at playing before the home crowd at the Lloyd Robson oval.
Gene, back in the country to show he hasn’t lost the form that made him a walk-in player for the past two World Cup campaigns, would like nothing better than to have a run in this Saturday’s Telikom Papua New Guinea Origin clash. Gene, heading into the twilight of his illustrious career, last played on home soil during PNGRFL’s 50th anniversary in 1998 and then went on to play in the 2003 World Cup in England. Gene, at 33, believes he has another three to five years left.
Next year the man from Chimbu and Eastern Highlands will be playing out his English Super League contract with Hull Kingston Rovers.
Potential Kumul prospect Makali Aizue is at the same club.
“This year we just finished outside of relegation,’’ Gene said. “Next year looks better with a couple of NRL signings from West Tigers and Melbourne Storm and should boost our form.
“I love playing for PNG.
“It’s something you aspire for and I still get goose bumps whenever I wear the red, black and gold,” he added.
Gene, who brings with him a load of experience, will be among a host of young guns from both the Residents and Internationals vying for a spot.
He isn’t too sure whether he is part of the Kumuls World Cup plans, but wants to have a shot at a parting chance.
Meanwhile from the Inter-national players that Gene is likely to line up with, their PNG places of origin are interesting:
* John Wilshire – Butibam
* Rodney Griffin – Wabag
* Keith Peters – Hanuabada
* Kevin Prior – Morobe
* Paul Aiton – Mount Hagen
* Steve Franciscus – Rabaul, Kavieng
* Tommy Butterfield – Milne Bay
* Trevor Exton – Kavieng
* Tu’u Maori – Manus
* Merv O’Flanagan – Bougainville
* Tom O’Reilly – Vabukori
* James Nightingale – Rabaul
* George Keppa – Simbai (Madang)
* Alex McFarlane – Daru
* Daniel Transwell – Mount Hagen

[Go to the top

Great work by PNG...I know it has been said a million time, but their passion for the game is remarkable and really should be used to greater advantage by the ARL. We should be playing them in meaningful tests every year or they should be playing NZ.

They're on our bloody door step!! A rugby league mad nation...there aren't that many, last time I checked.

roughyedspud

Coach
i know the NZRL are getting rid of the anzac test because they can't field a team strong enough to match the aussies...so why don't they play PNG instead..

just like GB/eng should play france every year as it helps both countries,it help france by giving them a run out against a big 3 nation and helps england to tryout combos & players in readiness for "big tests" v australia & new zealand..

a NZ v PNG game could do the same imo cos as well saw last sunday the kiwis are on a hiding to nothing if they continue to blood new guys in tests against australia...

Kurt Angle

First Grade
One reason why they won't play PNG.

Playing Australia means 1 million plus ratings in Australia and translates to TV $$$.

Playing PNG doesn't bring in any TV $$$.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
It's f**kin' pathetic really. It isn't worth going over though cause its been done to death. Anyhow...

Well done to Marcus, the interest in this game (not that it needed a boost by the sounds of it) just went up a little more I'd say. I'd love to be able to catch the game. Just the thought of the hits is enough to knock the wind out of me.

Gibbo

Juniors
Got to say Adrian Lam has appeared to do have done a fantastic job since comitting him self to the Kumuls post, great stuff.

Also in regards to the PNG 'origin' i once read an article that said years ago PNG used to play a domestic origin game between teams from "New Guinea' and "old Papua" but stopped them because the crowds got a little to excited. Could have been just newspaper talk but it is good to see them setting up a new origin style game- now we just need a Nth Vs Sth Island NZ game

Kumul

Juniors
Talkin about big hits reminds me of the times we used to organize games to play with the neighbouring villages/tribes at Christmas during my high school days.

There was this one game where i was at Fullback and everytime the opposition made a break, with the tryline begging they would instead charge at me at 100 miles /hour. Just so that they beat me too in order to score the try..lol (and in their village gain cult status)

I did give them some pearlers but i couldnt walk for about a month. And we did win the game throught their stupidity ;).

I have also noticed the same in the past when the Kumuls played .. the first 20 mins theyre right up there with the aussies in the hits but after that fatigue fatigue... with Lam in charge im sure hes addressed that.

Its also great to see all the PNG greats coming together at last. To play or show their support. Names like Bai, Gene, Aizue, Lam, David westley (who was inspirational when they played and nearly beat NZ during the 92? world cup quarterfinals) now a trainer, and all the other overseas players. Bear in mind i dont think the PNGRL will pay nearly as much as the big three for them taking part. I wouldnt be suprised if they payed for their own airfare back and forth from Eng. Aus and France.

I had an uncle of mine who played for the kumuls (John Okul - formerly Hull Kr/Doncaster Dragons) and he said when u put on that Red black and Gold jersey u feel like ur Bullet proof and there is too much emotion involved no wonder they lost all the time...

roopy

Referee
only going on what i have read on this forum, it seems to me that PNG as a country has become rich enough over the last five years or so to actually start paying for sports.
The national comp has kicked off and is semi pro and the recent game between PNG and Prime Min XIII had a crowd who paid decent money.
This game could well make good money and could well become a regular cash cow for PNG, similar to how SOO is a regular cash cow for Aus League.
With the entire population tuning in on radio (not sure how much TV coverage they have) - sponsership and broadcast rights will be very valuable in PNG terms.
The money may look like chicken feed in Aussie terms, but a few development dollars will go a bloody long way in PNG.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Alwyas seems a great shame to me that with number of Australian mining companies making billions of $'s from that region they can't give a little back and sponsor the teams, a national stadium etc.

The ARL, NZRL and NRL could do a hell of alot more too.

hutch

First Grade
not sure if this has been released in the press anywhere but apparently aizue and gene are not playing anymore, possibly injured. great news about bai though.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Arn't the NZRL dumping the ANZAC due to the Super League clubs not releasing players? To be replaced with Kiwi origin or something?

ali

Bench
Kumul, can you tell me a bit about Michael Mark?

From that article it sounds as though he is highly rated in PNG. Is there any talk of NRL clubs trying to sign him?

I guess if he is as good as the article suggests, he may even be picked up by an English or French club after the tour.

By the way, I must say it is great to finally have a knowledgeable poster from PNG on this board. Please stick around!

Roopy, we can only hope for more reasons than RL that PNG's economy continues to grow. Then I agree, the sheer size of the sport in PNG will mean big bucks.

Kumul

Juniors
Im livin in Australia at the moment. But yeah had me mates phone me about the game. It was sold out ages ago. There is alot of hype at ground level, cos never in PNG history has such a group of PNG talent been on showcase for the locals at the same time.

about michael mark ..havent seen him play but my mate couldnt stop talkin about his speed and this one particular hit he put on Mark Gasnier to save a try ....seems hell be on the scouts books

Poul

Juniors
( www.postcourier.com.pg/20071022/mohome.htm )
Papua New Guinea Internationals have defeated Papua New Guinea Residents with a field goal from Keith Peters, 27-26 in golden point extra time.
A 24 man PNG squad for their tour of Europe has been announced, including 13 PNG Residents, and to be captained by Peters.

Latest posts