What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ball kicked into the ref = 6 again - why?

If the attacking team kicks the ball into the ref, what should then incur?

• Total voters

Bulldog Force

Referee
This rule was used in today's Manly-Broncos game. This rule seriously has to be changed. If a team kicks it and it hits the ref, it should be either a turn over, or a scrum to the defending team. Why should they be punished and defend another set of 6 just because the attacking team kicks it into the referee? They played no part in forcing the player to kick it into the ref, so why are they being punished for it?

Thoughts?

El Diablo

Post Whore
This rule was used in today's Manly-Broncos game. This rule seriously has to be changed. If a team kicks it and it hits the ref, it should be either a turn over, or a scrum to the defending team. Why should they be punished and defend another set of 6 just because the attacking team kicks it into the referee? They played no part in forcing the player to kick it into the ref, so why are they being punished for it?

Thoughts?

i think the attacking team only gets another set of 6 if it happens in the oppositions half

if it happens in your own half then it's a scrum with the opposition getting the feed

not totally sure if that's correct. someone will know

hellteam

First Grade
It's just the rule. Whoever is in the attacking half gets the ball. It doesn't seem right at all, but I can't really think what the rule should be.

Maybe just play the ball again? It would still be the 5th tackle (or whatever tackle it was when it happened)

Beachy Eagle

Juniors
It's just the rule. Whoever is in the attacking half gets the ball. It doesn't seem right at all, but I can't really think what the rule should be.

Maybe just play the ball again? It would still be the 5th tackle (or whatever tackle it was when it happened)

Seems to make sense, maybe "dead Ball" nad play what ever would have happened next.
So if on the last a hand over, if on the 4th play 5th tackle, from a play the ball where the ref was.

user_nat

Coach
Makes sense for the attacking team to get the ball back, not sure if they should get 6 again though.

hellteam

First Grade
Seems to make sense, maybe "dead Ball" nad play what ever would have happened next.
So if on the last a hand over, if on the 4th play 5th tackle, from a play the ball where the ref was.

Hmm yeah you could do it like that. That would sort of penalise the kicking team though.

Taking the example from today's game, what about if the Broncos player just played the ball again (5th tackle)? Pretending the play never happened I guess.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Hmm play on seems to be a pretty good call. Ref cant exactly dissappear. Not 6 again however.

Yep, play on has my vote.

Deacon

First Grade
Teams in possession should late in the tackle count turn and kick the ball into the pocket referee to gain another set, great tactic to move the attacking team down field

Eels Dude

Coach
i think the attacking team only gets another set of 6 if it happens in the oppositions half

if it happens in your own half then it's a scrum with the opposition getting the feed

not totally sure if that's correct. someone will know

That's correct. The reason being that according to the rules the "attacking" side isn't the team with the ball, it's determined by whose half the footy is being played. So if the team in possession of the ball are running it out of their own half, technically they're still the "defence".

I think the rule backdates to when we had unlimited tackles, but it's one of those rules that should have been changed once the 6 tackle limit came in but never has. It's stupid. A side defending shouldn't be punished by having to defend an extra set on their own line simply because the ref got in the way of the ball.

user_nat

Coach
Teams in possession should late in the tackle count turn and kick the ball into the pocket referee to gain another set, great tactic to move the attacking team down field

Not really, since the defending team would get the ball in the other half.

skeepe

Immortal
The first poll option is incorrect. The kicking team is not necessarily the attacking team.

innsaneink

Referee
only providing they miss the ref :lol::lol::lol:

No...it depends which half theyre in...they could miss the pocket ref - he will try and evade it - and the ball ends up in their own half, turnover to the opposition. dumb move

Serc

First Grade
I think one of the reasons why the rule is currently the way it is, is to stop players deliberately kicking the ball at the ref when they're coming out from their own end.