What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of Origin 2024

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I know this is said often, but the Kiwis thump the best players from SOO 30 nil and origin is 'the pinnacle'. Drives me insane.
I think the 'give a shit' factor comes into it, as it also does with when the fixtures are. The Australian guys ultimately care more about Origin over rep footy, with the emotional investment that is in state v state. Also, Origin benefits from being mid-season, not at the end when guys are largely cooked, and want a break.

Test footy would go way better if it were in-season. I don't know how you'd do that, and the NRL aren't likely to be interested, anyway. But you're going to get a better Test footy product when it's during the season, there is a window created for it, etc.

I know I'm part of the problem, I didn't watch the Pacific Cup last year and I can't remember the last Test I watched (2017 v Tonga, I think). But in November (as the Pacific Cup final was) I am over footy, I'm into cricket. If they truly want to make Test footy the pinnacle - and I doubt it could ever happen - they'd need to bring it in while the season is in full swing.

I think the 'give a shit' factor comes into it, as it also does with when the fixtures are. The Australian guys ultimately care more about Origin over rep footy, with the emotional investment that is in state v state. Also, Origin benefits from being mid-season, not at the end when guys are largely cooked, and want a break.

Test footy would go way better if it were in-season. I don't know how you'd do that, and the NRL aren't likely to be interested, anyway. But you're going to get a better Test footy product when it's during the season, there is a window created for it, etc.

I know I'm part of the problem, I didn't watch the Pacific Cup last year and I can't remember the last Test I watched (2017 v Tonga, I think). But in November (as the Pacific Cup final was) I am over footy, I'm into cricket. If they truly want to make Test footy the pinnacle - and I doubt it could ever happen - they'd need to bring it in while the season is in full swing.
Yep totally. And the ‘give a shit’ factor extends to the fans which makes Origin a commercial behemoth and even less incentive for the NRL to prioritise test footy.

Ultimately I think the only thing that would shift that mindset would be the Kiwis (or anyone else for that matter) consistently dominating the Roos over an extended period. But even then, it would take years if not decades.