What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ballin's chance in No. 9 is now

gong_eagle

First Grade
Ballin's chance in No. 9 is now

Zorba
http://manlydaily.com.au/article/2007/11/10/7296_sports.html
10Nov07

FOR a player under enormous pressure Matt Ballin remains calm and collected as he makes a bid to fill the big boots of playmaker Michael Monaghan in the Sea Eagles pack for the 2008 NRL premiership.

The 23-year-old can't wait for official training to start on Monday after a brief holiday in Thailand with his wife Shannon.

``I'm ready to get started for the most important season of my career so far,'' said the former Kingaroy Red Ants junior.

Ballin has been the standout lower-grade player at the Sea Eagles for the past few seasons as he has patiently waited for his crack at the top grade.

He impressed with a man-of-the-match performance in his first grade debut against the Wests Tigers at Leichhardt Oval.

Ballin knows he is in for a real challenge for the number nine from ex-Roosters hooker Heath L'Estrange, who finished the season strongly with Brad Fittler's side. L'Estrange will join his new teammates at Monday's first official training session.

Other newcomers to the club will include:

* former NSW State of Origin prop Josh Perry who joins the Sea Eagles with a strong recommendation from former Newcastle teammate and Manly skipper Ben Kennedy;
* ex-Norths rugby union back rower Jarrod Waerea Hargreaves who is only 18 but is expected to make a quick transition to league;
* ex-Parramatta utility back David Williams (who is recovering from a shoulder op), and
* South Sydney backrower Tom Browne.

The Sea Eagles are also excited at the signing of junior Kiwi front rower Ken Edwards who is expected to start his career at Manly in the elite under-20s competition.

MANLY'S newest international Brett Stewart is on crutches following minor off-season knee surgery but it won't stop the flying fullback from attending a kids' camp for children with type one diabetes this weekend at the Crusaders Conference and Recreation Centre at Galston Gorge. The camp is being sponsored by the Lions Club.

Stewy is an inspiration to thousands of youngsters with the problem and is only to pleased to talk to them about how they can best manage the situation. Stewart was diagnosed with type one diabetes when he was 13.

AN announcement by Manly yesterday of a partnership with the Sunshine Coast-based Caloundra Falcons is a bright step in the right direction by the Sea Eagles.

The side is expected to gain entry into the fast-improving Queensland Cup competition in 2009 and this will be of enormous benefit to the Falcons and Manly.

Most top NRL clubs have feeder clubs playing in the Queensland Cup. The comp is seen as the best outside the NRL and a stepping stone to the main game.

Stagger eel

Staff member
you'd think Dessie would utulise Ballan properly next season, surely..

btw, Davey Williams is a good young player with great ability to crack the line but injuries has been his downfall for all of his short career thus far, it soesn't surprise me that his recovering from shoulder surgery. I'm pretty sure he finished the season on the sideline with a dud knee.

parra pete

Referee
Josh Perry his father Jim (a former Hay boy) and younger brother James made a nostalgic visit to Hay last week retracing his 'roots'.
Here is an article I wrote for the Riverine Grazier.

*** To say I was impressed by Josh Perry during his visit to Hay last week would be an understatement.

What a great young bloke - a credit to his family and the game of Rugby League.

You hear a lot about the hysterical headline seekers who are always splashed across the media for all the wrong reasons.

Josh certainly doesn’t fit into that category. He is a modest young man, who obviously is well aware of his responsibilities.

A real professional.

He and brother James created a big impression with their visit to Hay War Memorial School and a game of touch against the students.

They handed out signed memorabilia to the kids, as well as posters and car stickers.

A really good PR exercise and I’ll bet he has picked up a legion of fans in Hay by his actions.

Josh told me that he is really looking forward to his three year stint with Manly after his 12 years with the Newcastle Knights.

He said the challenge that will come to him to fight his way into the star studded Sea Eagles pack is one of the reasons he made the switch.

“I was probably in my comfort zone at the Knights last season, and I had a few injuries and didn’t have the opportunity to play much football” Josh told me.

“Ben Kennedy told me a lot about the Club, and told me that he wanted to finish his career at Newcastle, but the switch to Manly was one of the best decisions he had made during his career.

“I have had a lot of discussions with Manly coach Des Hasler and I am excited about his plans for me.

“I have set myself personal goals for 2008, and I hope to be able to achieve them.

“We start training on Monday (last Monday), and I am looking forward to getting stuck into it again, and settling into my new team for the next couple of seasons.

“Its like a new beginning, and I am excited by it.

“I like what I have seen so far”, Josh said.

Peter Peters, the Manly Football Manager, said on Sydney radio recently that he expected Josh to regain State of Origin honours again in 2008.

“We have high hopes for him,” Peters said.

Josh’s younger brother James is a fair lump of a lad also, and is looking to crack it into the NRL with the Knights. James is a second rower, so I will keep an eye out for his progress.

It is surprising the amount of contacts Hay has with the top echelon of players in Rugby League. It could come in handy one day.

Jokingly I said to Josh, that after his three years with the ‘despised silver tails’ that he might like to come back to Hay and get some ‘love’ back by coaching the Magpies.

He just laughed….

I think the Eagles have picked up a player who will provide them with great service. I like his attitude to his profession. No big ego with Josh.

Seth Gecko

Juniors
Talk's cheap Perry. Alot of us Manly fans have a big question mark hanging over your head. Youre gonna have to earn your position. We arent the bitch slappable Knights.

t-ba

Post Whore
Change of scenery will do him the world of good imo.

Ballin was awesome at the start of the year (That's the difference imo. Monas got service from a real hooker instead of Chad/Dunners and shined as a result), and I've got no doubts he'll kick on in 2008.

It's pretty funny the Broncos knocked back him and Cam Smith...

Bowhunter

Juniors
How's Ballin's kicking game? Orford benefited a lot from Monaghan in that regard last season. Who's going to be the second string kicker?

t-ba

Post Whore
Bowhunter said:
How's Ballin's kicking game? Orford benefited a lot from Monaghan in that regard last season. Who's going to be the second string kicker?

Ballin's an ok tactical kicker. He's got a decent hoof on him too if his 40/20 ability is anything to go by. We lose out in that department on the balance of things however.

CC_Eagle

First Grade
parra pete said:
Josh Perry his father Jim (a former Hay boy) and younger brother James made a nostalgic visit to Hay last week retracing his 'roots'.
Here is an article I wrote for the Riverine Grazier.

*** To say I was impressed by Josh Perry during his visit to Hay last week would be an understatement.

What a great young bloke - a credit to his family and the game of Rugby League.

You hear a lot about the hysterical headline seekers who are always splashed across the media for all the wrong reasons.

Josh certainly doesn’t fit into that category. He is a modest young man, who obviously is well aware of his responsibilities.

A real professional.

He and brother James created a big impression with their visit to Hay War Memorial School and a game of touch against the students.

They handed out signed memorabilia to the kids, as well as posters and car stickers.

A really good PR exercise and I’ll bet he has picked up a legion of fans in Hay by his actions.

Josh told me that he is really looking forward to his three year stint with Manly after his 12 years with the Newcastle Knights.

He said the challenge that will come to him to fight his way into the star studded Sea Eagles pack is one of the reasons he made the switch.

“I was probably in my comfort zone at the Knights last season, and I had a few injuries and didn’t have the opportunity to play much football” Josh told me.

“Ben Kennedy told me a lot about the Club, and told me that he wanted to finish his career at Newcastle, but the switch to Manly was one of the best decisions he had made during his career.

“I have had a lot of discussions with Manly coach Des Hasler and I am excited about his plans for me.

“I have set myself personal goals for 2008, and I hope to be able to achieve them.

“We start training on Monday (last Monday), and I am looking forward to getting stuck into it again, and settling into my new team for the next couple of seasons.

“Its like a new beginning, and I am excited by it.

“I like what I have seen so far”, Josh said.

Peter Peters, the Manly Football Manager, said on Sydney radio recently that he expected Josh to regain State of Origin honours again in 2008.

“We have high hopes for him,” Peters said.

Josh’s younger brother James is a fair lump of a lad also, and is looking to crack it into the NRL with the Knights. James is a second rower, so I will keep an eye out for his progress.

It is surprising the amount of contacts Hay has with the top echelon of players in Rugby League. It could come in handy one day.

Jokingly I said to Josh, that after his three years with the ‘despised silver tails’ that he might like to come back to Hay and get some ‘love’ back by coaching the Magpies.

He just laughed….

I think the Eagles have picked up a player who will provide them with great service. I like his attitude to his profession. No big ego with Josh.

You don't know a Jamie Mitchell by any chance do you?

parra pete

Referee
MSIH said:
What about a Dave Sullivan?

Most certainly do...Good young bloke, worked with his Mum and Dad for many many years. He's a pretty handy cricketer. Played 'under arm shavers' (Aussie Rules) down here. He'll know "Parra"

Latest posts