What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ban teenages from NRL: Elliott

Should Teenagers Be Banned From Playing First Grade?

• Yes

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 58 75.3%
  • Don't Know It Depends

Votes: 5 6.5%

• Total voters

Stained_Class

Juniors
Apologies if this has been mentioned already, but I've not read the entire thread.

Teenagers aren't really fully developed to endure the sport at the highest level. SBW was a prime example. However, there are exceptions to the rule. K Hunt handled it very well with very little injuries to speak of and he's a smaller bloke than SBW.

From a parents point of view, I'd probably worry if my 17 or 18 year old was running around in first grade copping the hard hits, but if they are good enough to get there, they should be good enough to handle it. I guess I'll sit on the fence on this one.

mxlegend99

Referee
Not sure how other clubs Under 20's players have gone in first grade, but from the Panthers players to debut this year, Lachlan Coote, Wade Graham and Joseph Paulo have all suffered injuries which put them out for 6+ weeks each.

Michael Jennings who is eligible for the Under 20's has also missed a couple of games with an ankle injury, and copped a big blow to the ribs last week which could have him missing more time this season.

Monk

Referee
mmmhmmm. and lets rename the "rookie of the year" award to the "player that was born between the dates of (date 1) and (date 2) that has progreesed well through our under 20's comp and has proven himself in first-grade" award

Chachi

Bench
I say we ban coaches who don't know how to introduce teenage players into the NRL.

Age is just a number, the key is whether the player in mentally and physically ready for it. If a coach can't figure that out then what the hell is he getting paid for?

What a dumb suggestion. May as well rename the NYC to "The Rugby Union Easy Pickings Comp".

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Actually... if teenagers are banned from the NRL, the under 20's competition could be massive... people would be tuning in just to watch the up and coming superstars.

College football in U.S sells out stadiums.. their grand final gets like 100k lol

Agreed, i actually like the idea and was insisting the first year of Toyota Cup was like this...

Perhaps make it Under 19s...

college sports in the US is a completely different kettle of fish. There's alot more backing, alot bigger supporter bases, bigger population, and alot of coverage driven by the draft.
While the crowds for the rose bowl are huge you have to look at why. 92,000 people attended the rose bowl last year between USC and Michigan. However USC has about 15,000 staff and 35,000 students not to mention almost 200,000 alumni, Michigan has 40,000 students, not to mention NFL fans who want to see a player their team might potentially draft. The National 20's comp will never be that big, even if the cream of the crop are kept in it, all you might get are some lob-sided scorelines

the point is to grow it Aqua Duck, the NRL have finally done something proactive in comparison to other Aust codes. This is an edge if its properly managed and grown, however like most things its been botched and half-backed. I actually LOVE the idea of aligning with Unis... yeah its a bit americanised, but it would work...

Could you imagine the likes of UWS, UNSW, UTS versing Griffith, Uni of Melb etc.

Latest posts