What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bands that have sold out

fat_mike

Juniors
blink never sold out cause they have always been sh*t

no way, when they were on kung fun records they were great. cheshire cat and dude ranch are two solid ass releases or punk/pop rock. they more punk than pop but nowadays their pop first and foremost. bring back the carousel and m&m days

Simo

First Grade
Ron Jeremy said:
Van Halen :shock: , they did in ways??....they where hard rock with David Lee Roth but wen't in a different direction after he left, it wasn't a bad thing, but i still prefer old style VH :D

Ron,

I dont think VH are sell-outs as when Dave left the band and Sammy came in they couldnt sound exactly the same because Sammy is different. And whilst i love all VH music i was also more of a fan of the DLR era as i think it was more fun/glam rock with more powerful guitars which is what Ed is all about, they couldnt replace Dave with a clone of him or it would just sound like an imitation.

When Dave came back on the first greatest hits album, Me wise magic was a great song with some great guitar work.

Sammy is more deep usually with his lyrics and is a very different guy to Dave. That is obviously why they sound different.

Gary Cherone brought a different style again.

I dont think that it is selling out when someone leaves a band and the replacement lyric writer/singer brings a different feel to the band because to just try an imitate someone else you will end up giving your fans a cheaper version of the original.

Kakihara

Juniors
fat_mike said:
blink never sold out cause they have always been sh*t

no way, when they were on kung fun records they were great. cheshire cat and dude ranch are two solid ass releases or punk/pop rock. they more punk than pop but nowadays their pop first and foremost. bring back the carousel and m&m days

I first heard them when they released that album with that fat buddha on the front and thought they were shit, heard a couple of albums of them a few years later because my gf was a fan of them and i still thought they sounded the same.

Although i'd rather listen to them than crap like new found glory.

Godz Illa

Coach
Very good article on the whole 'sell-out' phenomena today in the Herald; a review of The Offspring show at the Hordern which I (sadly, as the review attests) didn't attend.

http://smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/21/1087669907052.html?oneclick=true

The Offspring, Hordern Pavilion
By George Palathingal
June 22, 2004

June 20

The California five-piece known as the Offspring might be the least fashionable punk band in the world: after 15 years together the core members are getting on a bit (and still act like frat boys - behaviour even the Chili Peppers gave up years ago).

In 1996 the band sold its then-credible indie soul to a major label, which has since financed and released five albums for them; and they've not only sold millions of said CDs, they've also had - ugh - hit singles.

Frankly, the Offspring have no right to be any good. And yet on this night they have the gall, let alone the skill, to put on a near-flawless display of flat-out crowd-pleasing to a full, appreciative house. It's a breathlessly entertaining set in which the band steamrolls through far more top quality tunes than you ever remembered them having.

After starting with a couple of typically anthemic rockers from the current album, Splinter, they move into familiar waters with an energised Come out and Play - and then just keep firing off superbly executed favourites, interspersed with more trad-itional, if less effective, hardcore punk numbers for the purists.

There's so much to excite and stimulate on the whole, however, that even the Offspring's usually painfully feeble lyrics fail to bother you.

Kevin "Noodles" Wasserman's meaty, fast-acting guitar riffs are almost as instantly recognisable as Dexter Holland's foghorn roar on, for example, the emotional hardcore of Want You Bad, while the other notable performer is drummer Atom Willard, a beat-perfect blur of arms and sticks.

The punters get plenty of opportunities to sing along, jump around and pump their fists, all the way to the encore's inevitable climax of the goofy but irresistible Pretty Fly (For a White Guy) and the marching Self Esteem, which instigates frenzied moshing all the way from the pit at the front to the seats at the back.

In just 80 lean minutes we should be satisfied with the set's 20-plus songs, yet are unsuccessfully greedy for more. It's the sort of gig that no true fan of the band would dream of complaining about; I'm not even a casual fan of the band and I'm struggling to find fault with the performance. I also now understand why the Offspring have sold so many albums.

Indie snobs, take note: here's proof that success does not necessarily bring complacency and a dip in quality. Selling some records really is nothing to be embarrassed about.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
silverchair....the singer went all pansy
Depends on how you define selling out. If it's just getting softer, then yes they did. But I'd say that sell-out refers to changing your sound purely to make money, and I don't think that applies for Silverchair.

The singer and songwriter (Daniel Johns) just isn't the same person that he was when he wrote the good early songs. All that success at a young age turned him soft, and that is shown in the songs.

Simo

First Grade
Johns problem to me is he trys to act like a mega star if you know what i mean.

Since they got some fame in Aus he trys to play the image.

He comes of to me as a real try hard that looks like a pansy freak.

My opinion from interviews ive seen with him. The rest of the band seemed down to earth.

brook

First Grade
Too often the term 'selling out' is just used to describe bands growing up.

Few bands maintain the exact same sound over their entire career but that doesn't mean they are always changing for the money.

But for a true definition of sell-out....when the whitlams were just a silly sydney pub band they had a song they used to do live that described a man who leaps off the harbour bridge when he found that sydney had won the rights to the olympics.

A few years later with most of the founding members on the band dead and tim freedmans ego in control the song (renamed and with changes to the lyrics) was sung by the band at the olympics closing ceremony - needless to say in this version noone commits suicide

now THAT is shameless

Latest posts