What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barba sacked

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Sharks player Ben Barba released from contract, banned by NRL after positive drug test
By Andrew Griffits
Updated about an hour ago

Cronulla Sharks player Ben Barba has been released from his contract and banned for 12 NRL games after returning a positive test for cocaine following the club's grand final victory.

Key points:
  • Barba has been banned for 12 NRL games after a second positive drug test
  • The sample was recorded after the Sharks' NRL grand final win
  • Cronulla have granted the player an immediate release from his contract
Sharks chief executive Lyall Gorman said Barba was tested four days after the Sharks' grand final victory and returned a positive test for cocaine.

Full story: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-08/sharks-player-ben-barba-tests-positive-for-drugs/8004230

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Wait for the threads from mickeylane and possm asking if the Dragons should sign him.
Yeah, that's right. Saints have never signed dumped players before. Josh Dugan says hello. And of course they have a terrible record when it comes to busted coke users. This bloke never amounted to anything...
54e7dd138e4e1_wendell_sailor.jpg

emu62

Juniors
Who actually gives a f**k if someone does cocaine?

Sorry Dean for once can't agree with you.Me personally, could not care less what he takes
but living in the Shire & seeing all the young kids with Ben Barba on the back of their jerseys, that's the issue. I know these blokes don't choose to be idolized or role models but that's the way it is & with that they should show some sort of responsibility

The Doc

Juniors
Agree emu62... he is idolized by kids in the shire... whether he asked for it or not is irrelevant.
These kids look up to him, being an idol to kids comes with its perks, i.e. a nice fat pay cheque.
He isnt exactly a young kid either. He is a mature (use this term loosely) adult. He has 4 kids of his own.
The guy has so much natural talent, he can set an example to so many kids out there. Yet he goes and does this.
If he returns he will be on his last chance, and it would be such a shame to see such a talented athlete lost because of drug problems.

Old Timer

Coach
Agree emu62... he is idolized by kids in the shire... whether he asked for it or not is irrelevant.
These kids look up to him, being an idol to kids comes with its perks, i.e. a nice fat pay cheque.
He isnt exactly a young kid either. He is a mature (use this term loosely) adult. He has 4 kids of his own.
The guy has so much natural talent, he can set an example to so many kids out there. Yet he goes and does this.
If he returns he will be on his last chance, and it would be such a shame to see such a talented athlete lost because of drug problems.

A simple rule my dad gave me when growing up was
If you want to do or say something that is a bit of the norm ask yourself would you do or say it in front of your family?

Not trying to be righteous but it has stood me in pretty good stead and saved me from a lot of potentially bad situations.

Some of the footballers have brains and make good decisions and unfortunately others do not and that will always be the case.

glenndragon

Juniors
I don't have a problem with players taking certain types of recreational drugs in the off season....personally it seems unfair that an individual can have his name splashed over the front & back pages of the various rags, that truly doesn't affect or endanger the persons occupation, ....as the positive test was 4 days after the GF. I suppose technically the bloke is on holidays and thus not representing the NRL, or the sharks at the time.....

However, with BB, compared to others that have indulged in either illicit drugs or indeed overtaken prescribed drugs that have played in the NRL currently and in the past, one thinks that Todd Greenberg has a soft spot for Benny the repeat offender. Mr Greenberg has covered for BB, when naughty, in the past whilst at the dogs.... thus what does it take to be the teachers pet? More importantly will Mr Greenberg defend all NRL players in the future or the one's he personally knows that have not learned from previous mistakes and are married with 4 kids?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
So when musicians or actors do it they are legends like Lennon, Morrison, Charlie Sheen, Rolling Stones, etc. Probably greater than 50% of them ( and that is being generous). When a sports star does it's a crime. Sad really. Especially when a lot of these rock stars/actors perform under the influence of drugs and cop nothing yet if a person in sports performs under the influence gets banned. And who gets paid more again? The actor or musician.

Would love to see an actor banned from making a movie or a musician banned from performing and lose some form of income when they are on drugs but that will never happen. Why? Because they don't get drug tested.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Not condoning drugs but everyone in the entertainment industry whether it be sports, music, TV, movies should be treated the same. Not have a rule that applies to people that are in 1 category under that industry.

st.phil

Bench
So when musicians or actors do it they are legends like Lennon, Morrison, Charlie Sheen, Rolling Stones, etc. Probably greater than 50% of them ( and that is being generous). When a sports star does it's a crime. Sad really. Especially when a lot of these rock stars/actors perform under the influence of drugs and cop nothing yet if a person in sports performs under the influence gets banned. And who gets paid more again? The actor or musician.

Would love to see an actor banned from making a movie or a musician banned from performing and lose some form of income when they are on drugs but that will never happen. Why? Because they don't get drug tested.
Why stop there? Retrospective bans on Aldous Huxley for writing brave new world post psychotropic drugs? Sue steve jobs estate for using LSD when creating / refining apple? Ping Thomas Edison or Freud for scrawling under the influence of cocaine? Hit up Keith for writing gimme shelter under the heat of a shot of smack? Hell fire every stockbroker out there operating hopped up?

No offence slippery but - utter nonsense.

I think a more apt question is why sports people are tested for recreational drugs? The muso / actor link is precisely why have the "apples / oranges" idiom. Sport is physical and drugs effect your body obviously - be that recreational or not. Recall Ben Cousins was using a recreational drug (ice) occupationally (whilst on the field) Because an audience deems something as entertainment - does not mean you can universalise such treatment.

Mr Red

First Grade
Bennett to barba : " you're worth big money on your Bulldogs form, but not your Brisbane form"

Barba to Bennett : "you're worth big money on your dragons form but not your Newcastle form.."

Touché !!

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Sorry Dean for once can't agree with you.Me personally, could not care less what he takes
but living in the Shire & seeing all the young kids with Ben Barba on the back of their jerseys, that's the issue. I know these blokes don't choose to be idolized or role models but that's the way it is & with that they should show some sort of responsibility

Those kids idolize him for what he does on the field. They don't read the Daily Telegraph and they likely don't have much interest in what their idol does when not wearing a Sharks jersey.

It is their parents job to teach them right from wrong and more importantly that sometimes people make mistakes.

The argument that a player should be without flaws and morally superior to the rest of society because a child they don't even know idolizes them simply doesn't wash with me.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Why stop there? Retrospective bans on Aldous Huxley for writing brave new world post psychotropic drugs? Sue steve jobs estate for using LSD when creating / refining apple? Ping Thomas Edison or Freud for scrawling under the influence of cocaine? Hit up Keith for writing gimme shelter under the heat of a shot of smack? Hell fire every stockbroker out there operating hopped up?

No offence slippery but - utter nonsense.

I think a more apt question is why sports people are tested for recreational drugs? The muso / actor link is precisely why have the "apples / oranges" idiom. Sport is physical and drugs effect your body obviously - be that recreational or not. Recall Ben Cousins was using a recreational drug (ice) occupationally (whilst on the field) Because an audience deems something as entertainment - does not mean you can universalise such treatment.

LOL using Ben Cousins as an example is a bit of a stretch. He's a guy who has significant addiction issues. Big difference between addiction and recreational use.

Slippery's point is valid. As an aspiring guitarist I idolized Slash when I was growing up. My adoration made me practice guitar obsessively. Never made me use heroin.

Gareth67

First Grade
Slippery's point is valid. As an aspiring guitarist I idolized Slash when I was growing up. My adoration made me practice guitar obsessively. Never made me use heroin.

Guitarist ! Bluudy guitarist ! People like you would be tarred and feathered up our way .

And as far as this Slash character is concerned , the mind simply boggles , but at the very least we would be locking our women and children up .

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Guitarist ! Bluudy guitarist ! People like you would be tarred and feathered up our way .

And as far as this Slash character is concerned , the mind simply boggles , but at the very least we would be locking our women and children up .

Thanks for sharing.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Lol Gareth
Lock up the pigs to

Latest posts