What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barrett - Not only a cat but a crap five-eighth

gregstar

Referee
who would control the game more?
johns or barrett? - pretty obvious so why is that barrett's fault?

barrett's best games (& all have been pretty good) for the blues have been at half. game 2, 2001 he got man of the match. game 3, 2004 he either got it or went painstakingly close.

you're dead right about head being the main playmaker but he was injured. barrett led the team around the park tremendously in his absence.

i doubt anyone would want to be at belmore for all the money in babylon.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
ParraDude_Jay said:
Knocked over :lol: Bullsh*t, if he was knocked over then he needs to see a doctor because he obviously has something seriously wrong with him if he keeps falling over with little to no contact at all.
Mate, polite discussion dictates that I shouldn't call you an idiot.

If you saw the inicident, the decoy runner got in the way of Barrett. There was a collision and a push - nothing much in it. A far more reasoned explanation than this 'taking a dive' theory.

Personally I don't think Barrett would have got to the ball carrier anyway. The onus was on the defence either side which was far too flat footed - the gap was as wide as they come. The try scorer took full advantage of this.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
gregstar said:
so it's barrett's fault we lost?
LOL. Apparently.

I hear the players and the entire coaching staff are dragging him behind the team bus as we speak.

Pig Champion

Juniors
The whole Aussie team was poor but Barrett should have made a real effort to get to that player. If he had it may have looked more like an obstruction. As it was he allowed himself to hit the deck, possibly to draw a penalty. Instead it looked like a dive, no wait, it was a dive.

On that theme, did anyone notice gower on the deck, before halftime time I think. Rauhihi gives him a mouthful, laughing and Gower leaps from his "semi-conscious" state to his feet to mouth off in reply. That was a recovery of Uruguayan proportions.

grouch

First Grade
dazza62 said:
no mate you're the dickhead for defending someone who is a serial CHOKER(dragon). in the big games..
Pfft you've got no credibility, fool. One glance at your post history proves you have an unquenchable hard-on for the Dragons. Get over it chump.

Rammo

Juniors
Let's be serious here.

Barrett did take the dive, but you can't blame him entirely at the loss.

I lay the blame squarely on Civoniceva's shoulders.

The guy should be in a nursing home and Bennett should join him.

When it gets to the stage where you are hitting the defensive line with your back turned, it's time to go.

gregstar said:
who was one of the form 5/8 at the tail end of the season?

i didn't think he should have got the job in front of lockyer but he is the second best aussie 5/8. blaming him for the loss is ignorant in the extreme.

Benji had the form!

I agree though, his selection as 5/8 was warrented as the second best 5/8. Although i believe Prince should have got the job over Gower. Form HB during the season (Except for maybe Joey) and with a game plan that revolved around him (not the, catch pass to Lockyer crap) more than in the last game he would have done better.

Misty Bee

First Grade
What other form pivot do we have? Lockyer's up the putty, and I see the next best as Jason Smith and John Sutton.

Would Anasta have done better?

I'm sure a few halfbacks would have done better, though. Gower has rarely been impressive at rep level.

Barrett, on the other hand - if you haven't seen Barrett win games for NSW without Freddy and Joey, you must own a white cane.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Kangaroo2 said:
Barrett did come the closest to scoring a try and he almost put Jason Ryles over.
The referee blew his whsitle way too early there. The ball was knocked out by a defender and imo, should have been play on with the support unopposed. He could have left to the video ref after that.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Pig Champion said:
The whole Aussie team was poor but Barrett should have made a real effort to get to that player.
What about the flat-footed defence to his left and to his right? Is Barrett responsible because they didn't mark up?

panthersballboy

Juniors
The whole team was poor including Barrett, Gower, and the forwards. Brent Tate's reads in defence were terrible. The only player who was ok was Cooper.

Pig Champion

Juniors
Willow said:
What about the flat-footed defence to his left and to his right? Is Barrett responsible because they didn't mark up?

No. But he should have made a genuine effort to get to the man.If he was genuinely impeded he would have had more chance of a penalty. Instead he fell over, possibly to milk a penalty, but it just looked pathetic. Otherwise Barrett's game was not noticeably bad I think and he didn't contribute to the loss any more than any other.

The Observer

Staff member
The apologies being made for Trent Barrett are astonishing! Regardless of whether his forwards were being dominated or not, his performance was poor. Poor reading in defence for the Webb try (not an obstruction), dropping the ball, making little ground in attack, overrunning passes, not setting anything up.

Gower mixed his game up, tried different options and attempted to lead the team. A whole bunch of you want to exonerate Barrett on the basis of his Origin performances (probably the same people criticising Lockyer), but he played just like he does for St George in the big games - firmly on the back foot. So much for his superiority over Lockyer as a five eighth.

Pig Champion

Juniors
I think you'll find a bit of SGI bias in the Barrett love fest. Just like alot of the bagging of his game will be anti-SGI related. I didn't watch his game closely, the whole Kangaroo side played poorly so it was hard to pick a stand out poor performer.