What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barrett - Not only a cat but a crap five-eighth

The Observer

Staff member
It is hard to pick stand outs, but Wing and Minichiello ddi some good things, both made some tricky runs and tried to spark the team, Mini burst through a few tackles. O'Meley carried the ball with gusto and Kennedy made some offloads, including the line break assist to Mini, even though the latter two dropped the ball over the tryline.

aenima1

Juniors
barret is the most over rated player in the comp. its absolutely ridiculous that he's the 2nd choice 5/8 behind lockyer for australia. prince could have done a better job and then there's players like thurston, hill, campell and anasta that dont even get a look in.

brendothejet

First Grade
aenima1 what comp do you watch?

barret is a class act.

he is also a genuine 5/8 unlike a lot of other hacks running around in the number 6 jersey.

you sir, are a dingleberry.

Big Pete

Referee
Rammo you blame it all on Petero Civoniceiva? Sure he had a bad game and I agree he shouldn't of been there from the third game onwards but he didn't play that bad.

I blame the loss on the forwards and on the halves however it is very hard to beat such a determined Kiwi side.

Although I do believe Lockyer would've done a better job and it serves all those Lockyer-haters right that Barratt played like crap in his only games as Five Eigth.

grouch

First Grade
Your Barrett obsession has gone beyond boring, dazza. It is a concern. I haven't read much Freud but I'm almost certain that your tendencies are probably related to a latent homosexuality fighting to emerge, particularly your constant use of the word "choke", which suggests a possible oral fixation. Try therapy - you will hopefully eventually find yourself.

grouch said:
Your Barrett obsession has gone beyond boring, dazza. It is a concern. I haven't read much Freud but I'm almost certain that your tendencies are probably related to a latent homosexuality fighting to emerge, particularly your constant use of the word "choke", which suggests a possible oral fixation. Try therapy - you will hopefully eventually find yourself.

thanks for your concern oscar, as for the use of the word choke ..... if it's meaning escapes you then try some of these, underachieving, or crack under pressure, or over rated
as for therapy... mate there is no better therepy than a good laugh ,&some of my favourite comedies are ..... the 99 gf , 1st final in 2004 chokers v panthers, & one of my recent faves ... 2005 gf qualifier , chokers v tigers . &didnt the cat star in all of them

strewth_mate

Bench
A player's ability cannot be judged on rep games in League. Other sports, maybe, but league (particularly the Australian team) has a culture of being conservative and faithful to past performances in selection. In the Ashes series a few years ago I remember the British commentators ranting about how fantastic Kimmorley is, because he destroyed the Poms, and I'm sure there would have been many back here saying "nooo! You bastards!". And then he sucks for NSW.

Problem with rep games is they put a new player in the spotlight so that one good performance elevates the 'new guy' to stardom, and a crap performance crucifies him. Ben Creagh is a good player but I probably wouldn't have known much of him if he wasn't picked for the city/country, played well and consequently had lavishings of praise from all our commentators saying he should be in the Australian team. On one performance. Fine, he played well for the Dragons, but I don't think he would have been drooled over in the same way without the city/country. Same goes for players like O'Hara and Waterhouse.

Barrett is a very good player at club level, but that has nothing to do with his ability in the alternate form dimension of rep games. He destroyed QLD one year at halfback, prompting calls for him to be Australian halfback. He played fantastically at hooker this year for Australia and everyone started gushing. Now he has a less than great game and people are calling for his head. Form in a single rep game seems to be judged as equivalent to say 5 club games. It paints an unrealistic picture of the player because the next game they could destroy the opposition and be everyone's friend again. But in our game, no matter how you play, if you've represented before you'll be picked again no worries so it's pointless arguing I suppose...

Godz Illa

Coach
The Electric Horseman said:
Where's Godz Illa?
Barrett played well against GB, at least.

strewth_mate, excellent post btw. Measured, lucid and articulate. Pretty rare in these parts.

hutch

First Grade
Azkatro said:
Title says it all. As soon as I read Lockyer was injured for this Tri-Nations tournament I was bloody concerned - he's gotten us out of jail internationally since the Ashes in 2003.

Him and Craig Gower gave their team absolutely no organisation whatsoever. You can rant about how bad the forwards were, particularly the front row - and they were - but the Australians had zero leadership or direction out there. They were just a rabble.

But this thread is mainly a PLEASE EXPLAIN to all the dickheads who insisted Barrett should be the Australian five-eighth ahead of Lockyer :lol: :lol:

what a stupid article. he didnt play well but he certainly isnt a cat nor is he a crap footballer. you obviously dont watch many games.