What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barrett v Head

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Barrett's team is up against Mat Head's team next week. That can be a good alternative.
Have a read of the match report for the Wigan game. Sounds like a ripper game. Baz reckons he has never had a game like it.

Bit of a coincidence, when the big games are on Baz lifts. If he gets them to the final we will know that it was not Baz who choked but the other players around him whilst he was at the Saints.

Barrett sets sights on glory
Saturday 22nd September 2007

Wigan Warriors playmaker Trent Barrett says his side’s astonishing play-off win at Bradford has strengthened their belief that they can win the engage Super League’s Grand Final from sixth place.
The Warriors clinched the last play-off spot with victory over St Helens in the very last round of the regular campaign and their season looked to be at an end when they trailed the Bulls 30-6 after 55 minutes of Friday night’s first eliminator at Odsal.
But they scored 25 points in the last 25 minutes to register the biggest comeback in a decade of play-offs and snatch a 31-30 victory which earns them a place in next weekend’s semi-finals.
"It was a fantastic team effort," said Barrett. "Everyone chipped in and we can build on that. We’ve beaten probably the best two sides in the competition in the last fortnight.
"We’ve also beaten Leeds a few times and we’ve beaten Hull twice so we know, if we play to our ability and hold the footy, we can match teams.
"It’s just a matter of getting it right. We can’t afford another 60 minutes like that on Friday night."
Former Leeds Rhinos winger Mark Calderwood pounced for a 16-minute hat-trick to give Wigan renewed hope and full-back Pat Richards’ drop goal four minutes from the end edged them in front for the first time.
Even coach Brian Noble thought his players "had thrown the game away" and Barrett, in his first season in Super League after a decade with leading Sydney club St George Illawarra, admitted he had never experienced a comeback like it.
"No mate, that was awesome, particularly when the stakes were so high," he said. "It was a great effort.
"It came down to an attitude not to give up and to cut out our silly mistakes. They’re too good a side to give up cheap ball to like we did in the first half.
"Once we cleaned that up, we knew they’d get a bit tired. ‘Nobby’ was very good at half-time. He was pretty calm and said we’ve just got to get our own house in order.
"It was a pretty unforgettable win and a great feeling, particularly doing it here. Pat Richards kicked a great field goal under pressure.
"It shows there’s some resilience in the side. It shows that we stick together and that we’ve got some character in the team and in big games that’s what you need.
"We can enjoy it and have a couple of beers together but we’ve got to get ready for next week."
Barrett’s inspirational performance strengthened his case for being named Man of Steel next month but Noble insists the Warriors are not a one-man team.
The coach also singled out for praise fellow Australians Phil Bailey, Pat Richards, Bryan Fletcher and Shane Millard, who is defying a painful knee injury, and Great Britain prop Stuart Fielden.
"Trent is a special player," said Noble. "We’ve said that all year.
"He contributed immensely on Friday night but I thought Pat Richards’ contribution was very special as well, as was that of Phil Bailey and Bryan Fletcher, Stuart Fielden has gone 80 minutes again and Shane Millard on one leg has done a terrific job for us."
Barrett, meanwhile, paid his tribute to the speedy Calderwood, who made up for a error-strewn first half with his sensational try treble, including an opportunist 80-metre effort.
"Calders can run," he said. "Thankfully I was back on the 20-metre line cheering him on.
"We’ve got some class players in the side who can finish off things like that."

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Head knows Hull must stop Barrett

Sunday 23rd September 2007
Hull FC’s Australian scrum-half Matthew Head is facing an uncertain future but he knows for sure what his side have to do if they are to remain on course for a second successive Grand Final appearance.
Head pulled the strings as last year’s runners-up overcame play-off debutants Huddersfield Giants 22-16 in Saturday night’s second eliminator at the KC Stadium to earn a home semi-final against Wigan Warriors on Saturday.
The Warriors staged the biggest comeback in engage Super League history to pip Bradford Bulls in the first sudden-death play-off tie, with former Test stand-off Trent Barrett orchestrating the fightback.
“My old mate Baz played really well,” said Head. “It looked like whatever he touched turned to gold.
“That’s one bloke we’ll definitely talk about this week. We’ll have to stop him. It’s going to be a hard game for us next week.”
Huddersfield threatened to repeat Wigan’s heroics as they rallied from 22-6 down with late tries from Paul Reilly and Kevin Brown before running out of time and Hull coach Peter Sharp was a relieved man at the final whistle.
“The whole weekend was a bit mad,” he said. “I don’t know what everyone has been drinking or eating but I saw some people last night do some things I’ve never seen do and it was the same tonight.
“It probably makes for exciting rugby but it’s no good for coaches.”
Hull pounced on a series of handling errors by the Giants to open up a 10-0 lead inside 11 minutes thanks to tries from Gareth Raynor and Thomas Lee.
Although Huddersfield pulled a try back through Ryan Hudson, stand-off Richard Horne’s 63rd-minute interception try looked to have clinched the win for the home side while Raynor went in for his second seven minutes later to establish a 16-point cushion.
“It was a good start but I think we probably scored too early which made us think it was easier than it was going to be,” said Head.
“I think we played a little bit silly in the second half and let them back in the game. We lost the momentum and it’s hard to get it back.
“But we got the win and we get to play next week. We limped over the line and we get to play Wigan next. We’re a pretty proud outfit.”
Head, who joined Hull from St George Illawarra on a short-term contract in July, missed the frantic finish after being substituted by his coach.
The 25-year-old playmaker has suffered knee, shoulder and ankle problems during a disrupted three-month spell in Super League but revealed he emerged from his ninth Hull appearance injury free.
“I’m not sure what the go was there,” he said. “It was the first game I’ve come out of with no problems.”
Head has not been offered a new contract for next season by Hull, who are expected to play new signing Adam Dykes at scrum-half, and, although he has been linked with a move to Catalans Dragons, he admits he is facing an uncertain future.
“I still don’t know,” he said. “It’s hard with my manager being in Australia.
“I’m just playing footie and everything will work out for itself. Hopefully there will be another three weeks to go and then I’ll sort out all that stuff when I go back home.
“I’m enjoying it here. It’s a great club and they’re a great bunch of blokes. Sharpy’s been good for my football. I’m pretty happy with what’s going on and hopefully I’ll find something soon.”

Godz Illa

Coach
Slippery Morris said:
Bit of a coincidence, when the big games are on Baz lifts. If he gets them to the final we will know that it was not Baz who choked but the other players around him whilst he was at the Saints.
Whatever floats your boat pal.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Slippery Morris said:
What? LOL.

Different competition, different game(s), completely different circumstances.

Good luck to both Barrett and Head. The ESL could prove to be a well timed distraction.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
_Johnsy said:
both will be late withdrawals or come off inside 10 min.

... And will be back in 2-3 weeks, along side Nathan Long.

FTR, Baz didn't give his outside backs the ability to choke during the '06 Melbourne semi. He didn't pass them the f**king ball to let them. I'd love to know whatever Brown said to Barrett pre-game to get him to stop the reasonably profitable passing game he'd developed late that season. Whatever it was, it either went according to plan or horribly wrong.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Baz was a legend. Always stood up in big games. Refer to every Origin game. Only problem is, when he played at the Dragons, most players did nothing and expected him to do everything and get them over the line. When he was injured they would then step up and win games. If only they all stepped up when he was on the field.

Complete opposite of Newcastle, with Johns they all stepped up without him they played poorly.

Letting go of Baz was the worst decision imo since I started supported them. Bailey is a close second.

Both having good season and hardly any injuries I may add.

Surely that must indicate a problem with the medical staff at the Dragons.

The ESP is a different cometition but probably a better one. Not as much emphasis on wrestling players for half an hour each tackle. The standard in the NRL is dropping big time. The 2 finalists are the teams that wrestle the most. Take long to get off the tackled player and slow the game down big time. How boring is that.

Vossy hit it on the head a few weeks ago on the Footy show. The Storm have killed the game we love.

Was hoping Parra would win it cause they are the only team that play with a bit of flair and don't base their game plans on wrestling and slowing down the opposition all the time.

Wobbygong

First Grade
and the saddest part of it all is that we are still paying for parts of both their contracts!

Onya Doust.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Slippery Morris said:
The ESP is a different cometition but probably a better one. Not as much emphasis on wrestling players for half an hour each tackle. The standard in the NRL is dropping big time. The 2 finalists are the teams that wrestle the most. Take long to get off the tackled player and slow the game down big time. How boring is that.

Vossy hit it on the head a few weeks ago on the Footy show. The Storm have killed the game we love.

The games just evolving.

Besides... Have you seen how slow the play-the-balls were in the 80's ?

Nacho Libre

Juniors
Both players played in the game, with Head starting on the bench. Trent created a peach of a try for wigan n clattered Head in the 2nd half!

Matty Head created 2 tries for Ull, and stayed on the field despite being concussed midway through the 2nd half.

Trent looks a cert for the man of steel this year, he has single handedly won several games for Wigan.

Matt Head has managed to turn Ull's season around and the guy has got talent for sure, but he is very injury prone and as a result I don't think he will be retained for 2008.

captain

Juniors
True to form - Barret falls short just before the big game (Loss to Leeds)!! Trent = "always the bridesmaid, never the bride" - Sound familiar?