What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barry Toohey-Get Tough Knights

antonius

Coach
Offload Players To Recruit Some Quality

That's the head line of his Sunday Telegraph column this week.

Barry Toohey echoed what most of us have been saying for some time in his column in Sundays Tele.

He says the Knights need to adopt a tough policy when it comes to player retention this year. He goes on to say that some of the established "Stars" have been dining out on the fact that Andrew Johns is in the side. That the club has been showing these established players too much loyalty (Well hello) Some of these players are being paid top dollar, when they would be struggling to look above average in the local domestic competition. He says space needs to be made under the cap to recruit some quality players to the club, and if that means paying out contracts to some of the players that have time to run on their contracts then so be it. He goes on to highlight the fact that Hagan has had to fill the role of recruitment officer, and that this is due to the clubs poor management structure (Again Hello). The fact that we don’t have one (A recruitment officer) is now coming back to haunt us. All in all he states exactly what many have been complaining about on here for months, and in some cases years. Maybe now that it’s in print something will be done.

I also found it interesting that Conways’ column in the matchday paper was devoted entirely to the issues raised in Nuffys’ letter, without actually referring to it. I think the message is going to hit hard very soon.

Jedda

Juniors
Just a question - Where does he think the money is going to come from to pay out all these "players that have time to run on their contracts".

Once the club has paid out all the players what are we going to buy the new players with, peanuts?

If this club has 3 more years financially I propose that they start offering 1 year drastically reduced rate contracts to all players coming off contract and weed out those who are only here collecting a wage.

I suggest we need to upgrade our training facilities and football staffing situation before we look to start paying out players with time still on their contracts. Get the players fit, keep them healthy and start building some teamwork/consistancy with a regular team on the park. If that doesn't work, then start showing them the door.

~bedsy~

First Grade
There's no way the club would be able to pay out players... they would just have to let go of players that are up this yr.

Nuffy

Bench
Good article, I agree with everything he said, it remains to be seen however what is actually done.

Has anyone still got a copy of the Knights match day paper...........I need it for research.

PM if you've got a copy