What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bashing those blundering Brisbane Broncos

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Noticed there wasn't a match thread yet. And there deserves to be one. Apart from adoring the new signings, I'd just like to say how well the rest of the team played.

But before I say anything further, I'm not too happy with Wiki getting arsed by cutie. He's gonna have to make a lot more metres or absolutely bury someone, if he wants his stock to get out of the toilet in my book.

Price was priceless once again, Wiki really has to step up to Price's level.

A lot of people have been hating on Tony Martin in the pre-season. I think he shut you lot up today, what a marvellous game. A true centre's game, and Crockett should be thankful. Lance Hohaia had a very good game too, looked very threatening out wide. Hopefully he'll escape his pending charge.

I'm going to echoe my thoughts from last week. I think a Warriors team that has Hohaia, Fien & Gatis in there, is going to do well. We just have so many more options with all of them in the team. It really takes pressure off our halves, I think Hohaia is very suited to playing out wide too.

Very happy with today's game. Let's hope it all continues, I really enjoyed both games so far. Great stuff, Warriors!!!

Oh and one more thing. Auckland, where the bloody f**k were you??? Just scrapping in with 17,000??? Sure, it was better than last week, but come on!!!

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Agreed with what you say.

I also think we were fairly ordinary for 60 minutes and a strong second quarter was all that kept that game from being a little too uncomfortable

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Father Dougal McGuire said:
Agreed with what you say.

I also think we were fairly ordinary for 60 minutes and a strong second quarter was all that kept that game from being a little too uncomfortable

Oh, for sure. But I think Brisbane slip into a security mode, this causes teams to get into an arm wrestle with them. And if they can't break through, they often self-destruct. We saw it last week against the Cowboys too. The Broncos couldn't come up with anything and the Cowboys were able to pull things off.

I think that for the most part, this game was an arm wrestle. It always is, between the Broncos & Warriors. It was an enthralling game, and I'm glad the Warriors are winning these sorts of games.

Martli

Coach
Yeah, I'm starting to worry about our 2nd half efforts at the moment. Seems to be a common weakness if both the games so far.

Apart from that, I'm liking this side and echo NZwarrior's sentiments. Thought Witt had a good game too as did Vatuvei on the most part.

ozbash

Referee
we were good overall, not a great start but they put their foot on the gas in the 2nd quarter. my players were hohaia, wade, price and tuimavave.

the really good thing from my point of view was how they kept the pressure on in the 2nd half, usually price stays off after halftime and they seem to lack a little direction which the eels capitalised on last week. pricey came on for around the first 10 in the 2nd half yesterday and the warriors maintained the pressure when he went off.

i,d say lance will go for a week or 2 on wednesday so it,ll be interesting to see who gets his spot,,, mannering to center, lawry to the bench ??

then again he might get off..

AliN

Live Update Team
NZ Warrior said:
Noticed there wasn't a match thread yet. And there deserves to be one. Apart from adoring the new signings, I'd just like to say how well the rest of the team played.

But before I say anything further, I'm not too happy with Wiki getting arsed by cutie. He's gonna have to make a lot more metres or absolutely bury someone, if he wants his stock to get out of the toilet in my book.

Price was priceless once again, Wiki really has to step up to Price's level.

A lot of people have been hating on Tony Martin in the pre-season. I think he shut you lot up today, what a marvellous game. A true centre's game, and Crockett should be thankful. Lance Hohaia had a very good game too, looked very threatening out wide. Hopefully he'll escape his pending charge.

I'm going to echoe my thoughts from last week. I think a Warriors team that has Hohaia, Fien & Gatis in there, is going to do well. We just have so many more options with all of them in the team. It really takes pressure off our halves, I think Hohaia is very suited to playing out wide too.

Very happy with today's game. Let's hope it all continues, I really enjoyed both games so far. Great stuff, Warriors!!!

Oh and one more thing. Auckland, where the bloody f**k were you??? Just scrapping in with 17,000??? Sure, it was better than last week, but come on!!!

yep agree with you there.

Except the last paragraph. There were more than 17,000 in the crowd I'm sure.
Just ask anyone trying to get out after the game. :crazy:

MKEB...

Staff member
Listening on sports talk, all these callers were saying the refs are being too harch on the play the ball. Bollocks to them. This is not touch, or Yawnion. Playing the ball is a fundamental taught to all when learning to play the game as a kid. Just because you get paid to Play footy doesn't mean you can alter the rules to suit yourself.

I bloody hope the refs keep pinging 'em for it.

Anyone missing Webb?

Jesbass

First Grade
AliN said:
yep agree with you there.

Except the last paragraph. There were more than 17,000 in the crowd I'm sure.
Just ask anyone trying to get out after the game. :crazy:

There were actually less than 17,000 people in the crowd. The official number was 16,738. I was really surprised when they announced that, because it looked like there were a lot more people there, and yes, getting out, and finding parking on the way in was evidence of that. Still, it was a 3,000 improvement in one week, which is pretty good for Auckland.

Brad Joyce

Juniors
To be honest i thought that 16.7k was believable

As did I. Not as many people sit in the West stand now. They've moved them over to the East stand to make it look good for TV. Still a could crowd though.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Brad Joyce said:
As did I. Not as many people sit in the West stand now. They've moved them over to the East stand to make it look good for TV. Still a could crowd though.

The west stand actually looked less populated that last week.

The crowd must have been increased by the increased number of people behind the goals

Brad Joyce

Juniors
The west stand actually looked less populated that last week.

The crowd must have been increased by the increased number of people behind the goals

Certainly the East, South stands, and North bank were more populated yesterday than the Eels game. Personally I thought there were a few more in the West stand too, but we'll never know.

Brad Joyce

Juniors
EelGirl said:
For the reacord I think you are going to test everyone you play well and truly this year.

We tested everyone we played last year. We're asking for a little bit more this year, we'd like beat most of our opposition this year.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Thoughts on the game:

Good:
plenty of enterprise in attack.
defence in general, especially in 2nd half
backline working really well, Witt is going well and the wingers are getting great ball. Hohaia and Martin going well in the centres.
Fowards generally all making plenty of yards.
Didn't panic when Brisbane scored a couple of early tries

Bad:
Execution was a bit off, plenty of chances in the second half that weren't converted.
Very flat in the 1st quarter.
Too much dropped ball.
Players need to watch the high shots- Lance could be in a little trouble (should get off with early plea though)
Wiki needs to up workrate- one big run and the odd big hit doesn't constitute a pass mark.

Overall still good though, if I was goingto sum us up in one word so far this season it would be competent, We look like a clinical team who are capable of controlling a game and creating points.

ozbash

Referee
Overall still good though, if I was goingto sum us up in one word so far this season it would be competent, We look like a clinical team who are capable of controlling a game and creating points.

yep, important thing is that we improved from last week v eels. hope it continues.

Jesbass

First Grade
ozbash said:

yep, important thing is that we improved from last week v eels. hope it continues.

Actually, I didn't think we did improve, overall, but then, I guess the quality of the opposition has to come into account there. The Broncos would have to be considered a better team than the Eels, so I tihnk I just nullified my own argument, lol... :lol: