What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Basketball

isaiah

Bench
Have the men even got this far before?
do you not know your boomers history? 88 in seoul we won the qf v spain then lost a sf to yugoslavia and the bronze medal game to the us. 96 in atlanta we beat croatia in a qf, got flogged by the us in a semi, and lithuania beat us for bronze. i have some history here. i wrote a famous letter to the editor in an australian basketball magazine telling of my disgust that longley chose to get minor surgery and miss the olympicsso he could get more nba money the next season. added to my chagrin was the telecaster employing him for expert commentary (rubbing our patriotic noses in it was how i described my angst). if he played half fit we contain sabonis better and win a bronze, imho.

Last edited:

Shorty

Staff member
I have vague memories about 96' and Shane Heal but 88' would have been too young to remember.
But dont judge I went to every Crocs (and previously at some point) Suns game as a kid.

T-Boon

Coach
If the Boomers go on to win gold does that salvage these games from being a failure?
I mean if they beat the US for gold (its a one off game so not entirely out of the question), it would arguably be our greatest sporting victory in the history of everything.

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah, for me it would make it all worth it.
Long way to go yet, this olympics has Aussies recoiling at 'medal' talk.

Danish

Referee
Quite possibly the worst half of basketball in Australian history.

Suits this overall Aussie Olympic performance quite well